The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 11, 2000, 06:19 PM   #1
DCR

Greetings -

Having watched a handful of shoots, acquired all the appropriate firearms and prepared my loads, I'm looking to participate in my first CAS shoot in a couple of weeks. I've never participated in any competitive-type shooting events before, and am looking for pointers. I'm aware of the dress & safety rules, and through much trial have learned how all my weapons shoot. What I'm looking for is tips or lessons learned from personal experiences on everything - from drawing, firing, re-holstering/securing, etc., on up to breathing (?) - whatever you have to offer I'd love to hear, or if you can recommend other sources I'd be obliged.

- - - Don
Old October 11, 2000, 07:24 PM   #2
griz

The first thing is to relax. Most people get too tense when shooting "on the clock" for the first time. When it comes to drawing and reholstering smooth is fast. Trying to go faster than you can go will slow you down, as funny as that may sound. Take the extra fraction of a second to aim, you can not miss fast enough to win. Many have tried, including me. Above all, shoot safe and have fun. Ask questions if in doubt. The cow persons you will be shooting with are about the most friendly and helpful people you can find, they will be glad to answer questions. Here is the SASS site for more info: http://www.sassnet.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/Ultimate.cgi
Try the SASS wire there for another forum.
Old October 11, 2000, 08:17 PM   #3
Ned Roundtree

Go to have fun. Shooter no faster than you can hit the targets. Don't worry about speed. In time it will improve naturally. Remember, everyone has their first match. At mine, I forgot to disengage the safety on my Winchester! See ya on the trail.
Old October 12, 2000, 10:24 AM   #4
Bill Mitchell
Staff Alumnus

Howdy,

Ned's right. Concentrate on accuracy first. Speed will come with experience. It's much more satisfying to hit targets at a slow speed than to miss at a high speed.

New shooters are usually most inefficient in the area of loading and unloading their shotgun. A lot of time can be saved or lost while shooting the scatter gun. Watch how fast shooters load and unload,ask them for advice and then practice what they tell you.

Be safe. If you have a problem with your gun,keep it pointed in a safe direction(into the berm). Most of all,have fun!

Bellicose Bill
Old October 12, 2000, 07:00 PM   #5
JeanC

And remember to breath! I kept getting so nervous at my first shoot I would stop breathing. Tends to interfer with shooting.
Old October 13, 2000, 10:47 AM   #6
DCR

Thank you all for the info; As many times as I'd been to the SASS site I'd never been to the forum - NEAT!

I promise to try to remember to breathe, too.

Again, thank you for all your thoughts, and feel free to continue to send them.

- - - Don