The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 20, 2000, 08:48 PM   #1
saintdavid

I just aquired am EAA Bounty Hunter and would love to find a set of Imitation Stag Grips. Does anyone know of a company that offers these type grips? I have seen the names like "Durastag" and Stagalon but I do not know where I could obtain these. Any companies supplying these would be helpful.
Thanks

------------------
Old September 21, 2000, 10:16 AM   #2
Bill Mitchell
Staff Alumnus

Howdy,

Grip Maker and Get A Grip both carry grips for SAA clones like the Bounty Hunter. Grip Maker has the imitation stag,but take a look at both sites,as they have a nice selection of grips.

Bellicose Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Mitchell (edited September 21, 2000).]
Old September 21, 2000, 10:40 AM   #3
Gunslinger

The Grip Maker is a one man operation and a very capable operation at that. He lives only twenty minutes from me and I am using some of his imitation ivory grips right now.
Personally I detest imitation stag. Almost all of it looks like cheap plastic. His on the other hand look like the real thing. He has put a reat deal time and work into making the grain, testure and coloring as athentic as possible.
I am about to start building a pair of guns for Terri to use for mounted shooting. She loves the looks of stag and I had planned to get the real things for 90 bucks a pop from Ajax. Then after seeing the Grip Makers imitation they will be what goes on her pistolas.
As Bill said check out the other site as well. You may see something you like even better than stag. Different people like different things. Shot, I even have one set of guns with white pearls on them. But don't tell anyone, ok?

------------------
Gunslinger

I was promised a Shortycicle and I want a Shortycicle!
Old September 21, 2000, 11:47 AM   #4
Bill Mitchell
Staff Alumnus

Howdy GS,

$90 a pair for real stag sounds like a bargain. Last I heard,India had ceased exporting Sanibar stag,and the price had been driven up to about $150 a pair. I have nice pair of stag grips on my Vaquero-I wish I could get stag for my Remingtons.

Bellicose Bill
Old September 22, 2000, 12:07 PM   #5
Jack Straw

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gunslinger:
Shot, I even have one set of guns with white pearls on them. But don't tell anyone, ok?

[/quote]

Oh dear God!!! You're a New Orleans pimp?!?!
You should be embarassed!

Jack
Old September 22, 2000, 04:34 PM   #6
Ned Roundtree

I also recommend www.gripmaker.com
Larry is a great guy and supporter of cowboy action shooting. Go to his web page, he has got not only imitaton stag but other great grips. So many great grips you won't know which to pick. His email is [email protected]
Old September 24, 2000, 01:55 PM   #7
saintdavid

Thanks for the help guys. I am still trying to decide, but y'all gave me some great places to look at. Now I just have the joy of refiguring how to put 2 piece grips on a singe piece frame. I really appreciate everyones support, THANKS!
Old September 24, 2000, 02:30 PM   #8
Gunslinger

Bill, the last I lookedd Ajax had genuiine stag for $89 a set. But it has been a while since I paid any real attention.

Oh dear God!!! You're a New Orleans pimp?!?!
You should be embarassed!

Shhhhhhh......I said not tell anyone. LMAO

saintdavid, chances are they will come in threee pieces. The two side panels and a middle spacer. Once you get the side panels fitted it is a matter of simply using an adhesive to bond the three pieces together. I recommend "Gorilla Glue" but any good quality two part epoxy will do. I put thin clear tape on the on the exposed surfaces just in case I accidently get any excess adhesive on exposed surfaces. Once everything has had time to properly set I then use a razor to remove the tape.