The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 9, 2009, 10:00 PM   #1
Solvo Pium

Location: Where it is normally warm and hot 9 months out of the year.
Reloading brass with primers

I ordered .223 brass from Lake City with the primers installed. The question I have is , I have a Dillon 550, and the first stage is supposed to deprime and resize the neck, (my reloading volcab is horrible, just started reloading). I guess since the brass is already sized, trimmed and primed, I just skip the first station? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old April 9, 2009, 10:53 PM   #2
Wrangler5

You can just remove the sizing die from the first station on your press. Or you could leave the sizing die in place but remove the depriming stem, and size the new cases while leaving their primers in place. If you do size, you will need to lube the cases to begin with and then remove the lube at some stage before firing.

In either case, be sure not to leave any primers in the system before you start the reloading process.
Old April 9, 2009, 11:06 PM   #3
highrolls

Since you already have Dillon equipment, I will offer my opinion here, free, and worth every penny. Which means you get what you pay for. Opinions are nice but verification is better. If I had the cases you have, I would check every one with a good,quality case gage. Dillon makes one for .223 and they also sell Wilson case gages. Here is the Dillon gage for $22.95.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/conte...fle_Case_Gages

Every case that passes the "gage" test is good to go the way you have stated. Start at station two and load normally. If any cases are too tight, remove the decapping pin from the resize die in station one, lube the case properly and resize (without removing the primer), clean and check in the gage again (just to be sure the resize die is properly adjusted.) Although I would not expect this from the cases you have, both the Dillon and Wilson gages also are a rapid check for proper case length. Just because I do not expect the cases to be too long, I would still check that, since the gage is already capable of this as well.

So for what its worth, that is what I would do with your cases if you decide not to continue and mail them to me instead. (Smile)