The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 13, 2009, 02:06 PM   #1
Hunter04

Keep sticking cases in rcbs fl sizer dies

I have been using hornady spray lube on some 220 swift cases and full length sizing them and have had three cases stick in the past week, I am not sure what i could be doing wrong any ideas anyone?
Old March 13, 2009, 03:36 PM   #2
FlyFish

Yeah, you're using Hornady spray lube, that's what you're doing wrong.

Seriously, though, you're not the first to have problems with it - I tried it many years ago and stuck a case right off the bat. Threw it in the trash and went back to my RCBS goop. I've since switched to Imperial resizing wax, which is the best of all, IMHO.

That said, there are those who have good luck with the spray-on stuff. From what I've gleaned on these boards, the trick seems to be to give it enough time to dry after you spray it. I haven't been tempted to test the theory, however, after my bad initial experience.
Old March 13, 2009, 04:47 PM   #3
ThomasT

It may sound strange but I use Crisco for a case lube. I just keep it in an old pellet tin with some in it and wipe a little on my fingers. I twirl a case in my fingers and about every forth case I wipe I little in the case mouth for the neck sizer.

I have done this for years and never had a stuck a case. I also like the Lee case lube that comes in a squeeze tube.
Old March 13, 2009, 06:18 PM   #4
ForneyRider

I use the Hornady One Shot.

Because it's an aerosol, I thought I could hit the RCBS tray from 4 sides and be good to go. Got plenty of stuck cases that way. Now, I give those cases a good rub down to make sure the One Shot gets everywhere. I still like it better in my Redding dies than Lee lube as the Lee lube dries and causes dents if I put on too much.

I wonder is anyone uses Liquid Wrench. I have plenty.
Old March 13, 2009, 06:32 PM   #5
kraigwy

Clean your dies and lube your cases.

I have a rather large tumbler, about 28 inches long and 15 inches in diameter. It sets on rollers and turns kind of slow.

So for lubing, I took an 8 Lbs Win Powder can, Cut a piece of carpet to stick inside the can. I use a tad of RCBS lube and drop it into the can. Then dump in the cases. I take the tumbler off the rollers and put the can on and tumble it. It completly lubes the cases yet not to the point of leaving lube on the case to wrinkle cases.

Works for me.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old March 13, 2009, 06:57 PM   #6
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

I use One Shot in the blocks and have NEVER had a stuck case. I also clean my dies and keep a thin layer of oil on them. Did you ever think that you are not using enough? If you can rub it on with your fingers and it works, why wouldn't it work if you just spray it on? Are your fingers magical??( I think I had a girlfriend tell me that before!) Well, the answer is is that you are probably not spraying enough on the cases to begin with. I am pretty sure that Hornady, a well-respected name in the reloading industry, would not put a product on the market (and have it remain on the market as long as it has) if it simply did not work. C'mon guys!

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~

Last edited by IllinoisCoyoteHunter; March 13, 2009 at 07:03 PM.
Old March 13, 2009, 08:16 PM   #7
FrankenMauser

How many times have these cases been fired? Have they been annealed? Have you neck turned / reamed?

The .220 Swift suffers pretty severe brass flow problems. If the neck is thick enough (and work hardened enough), it alone can cause a stuck case.

Once the neck has thickened enough, it can get stuck between the expander assembly and the inside of the die. Between the surface area of both parts making contact, and the friction of the pressure being exerted by the extra-thick neck... cases don't like to extract.

Of course, this only applies if the brass has been fired several times without trimming, reaming or turning, and possibly annealing. AND if the brass is getting stuck when almost fully inside the die.

Last edited by FrankenMauser; March 13, 2009 at 10:04 PM.
Old March 13, 2009, 08:56 PM   #8
Dingoboyx

I havent had my neck turned or reamed.... sounds painful, hope it never happens
Old March 13, 2009, 09:10 PM   #9
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

The body of the case is what usually gets stuck....not the neck (NOTE the word "usually"). Think about surface area. When you get these cases stuck, can you feel resistance when you are raising the ram??? If there is an increased amount of resistance, you probably need to rethink your lubing process.....or get a Lee collet die!!

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
Old March 13, 2009, 09:17 PM   #10
shepherddogs

I had that problem with a Ruger 77VT in .308. Turned out the chamber was a little on the large size making resizing difficult. I did a lot of cussing until I figured it out. I sent the rifle to Ruger and they replaced the barrel. Problem solved.
Old March 13, 2009, 10:05 PM   #11
oneounceload

If you read the MSDS on Hornady's one shot, you wouldn't use it....the chemicals aren't the kindest to humans.......most spray lubes like it are similar in their toxicity.........sizing wax or a liquid/gel type will work nicely....don't forget to lube the inside of the neck
Old March 13, 2009, 10:52 PM   #12
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

The time I may be taking off my life by using such chemicals is made up for by the extra time I have by not having to lube each and every case by hand...It's a wash!!! But I tumble my brass and cast my own boolits....I may not make it past my 30th birthday!!!

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
Old March 14, 2009, 09:35 AM   #13
furtaker

I agree with coyotehunter, I've used hornady one shot for some time now and have had no trouble,I'm currently Fl resizing 300 ultra brass and have had no trouble with one shot. Like coyotehunter said be sure to use enough and let it dry plenty 3 to 5 min. has worked fine for me!
Old March 14, 2009, 09:41 AM   #14
Horseman

One thing I do with every sizing die is polish the interior. RCBS dies polish up easily. Take a short section of cheap aluminum cleaning rod with a plastic loop jag on it. Chuck it in a drill and add some Flitz metal polish on paper towel. Use enough paper towel in the jag to fit tightly and turn slowly with the drill for about 30 seconds. Once you clean out the polish it will shine like a mirror and size cases noticeably easier. This doesn't remove enough material to change inner dimensions but they almost look chrome plated inside.

I'd guess you're not using enough Hornady One Shot cause I've never had a problem with it on 8 different calibers. But I much prefer Imperial sizing die wax. It's cleaner, quicker, works better, and doesn't stink.
Old March 14, 2009, 11:51 AM   #15
Slamfire

Quote:
Yeah, you're using Hornady spray lube, that's what you're doing wrong.
Agree.

I use small base dies on every caliber I can purchase them. Spray on lubes will stick a case in a small base die first time, every time. Never had a problem with Imperial Sizing wax and RCBS water soluble.
Old March 14, 2009, 01:01 PM   #16
ryalred

I use the Hornady spray lube and have never had a problem. I don't understand how some of us can use it and never have a problem and others have all kinds of problems with it. I use a block and spray at a 45 degree angle from above the rim of the case (this allows lube to get inside the case neck). I spray all four sides of the cases. You must allow them to dry for a couple of minutes before resizing.

P.S. Shake the can real well before spraying.

I've never had one stuck case, or one that even acts like it wants to get stuck.

There must be something that we are doing differently.
reloading -- addicted
Old March 14, 2009, 02:04 PM   #17
hodaka

One Shot

Every time it comes up we have some who swear by the stuff and others, myself included, cannot use it without having problems. I guess that accounts for the name. You get one shot to see if it works for you. I suspect that those of us who are frugal by nature tend to under-use it and have issues. I now use Imperial but have always found that Lee's stuff in the plastic tube is hard to beat.
Old March 14, 2009, 09:22 PM   #18
TEDDY

lube

I am supprise that no one uses lyman spray lube,I use it and have never had a stuck case.but I always wait a few minutes and also give the inside of the die a shot.I have the lee tube lube and it workes but messy.I wonder whats in lyman,and I suspect lee is soap.I know what the tumble lube is.and RCBS
is STP.which I have used.
Old March 15, 2009, 12:56 AM   #19
impactco

I had been using One Shot for about a year with no issues.....until I started reloading .308. I purchased some once fired brass that were apparently fired in a slightly oversized chamber and proceeded to stick 3 cases in less than a week. I bought some Imperial sizing wax and it did the trick. I only load 100 .308 at a time for precision rifle on a Rock Chucker so using the Imperial wax is no big deal. I'll continue to use One Shot for my progressive press.
Old March 15, 2009, 07:52 AM   #20
James R. Burke

I use the RCBS pad, and there lube. Might be a little slow, but never had a case stuck ever.
Old March 15, 2009, 11:19 AM   #21
petemo

the case neck may be the problem

On occasion my long cases are more sticky. Helps quite a bit to put a small amount of lube on the inside of the case neck. I use RCBS