The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 12, 2014, 05:52 PM   #1
Garycw

Shooters World- experience , opinions?

I happened into a shooters world store & range in Tampa today. WOW, it's like a ikea for guns. I was impressed with all the guns , accessories & museum displays. The firing range is Hi Tech with flat screen tv's to see your target without reeling it in. Anyone else have any experience, comments or opinions about them?

Last edited by Garycw; February 13, 2014 at 05:47 AM.
Old February 13, 2014, 01:08 PM   #2
DaleA

Never been in one but it looks very nice.

The cameras on the targets. I assume they are adjustable for the different target distances? I also assume the camera itself is behind the line with a telephoto lens so it doesn't get blasted but with all things assumed I could be wrong so correct me as needed.

I bet the air quality was excellent.
Old February 13, 2014, 02:14 PM   #3
Garycw

It's very well ventilated and air conditioned. I didn't actually go on the range, but I think the cameras are below a ledge near the target. It saves alot of time not having to bring the target back to you & just look at your monitor next to you. They also have a 100 yard rifle range and a reactive steel range with some moving targets. The place was a little overwhelming. I'll be going back to the range part soon
Old February 13, 2014, 03:26 PM   #4
Retired45

I was in that store with my brother. He rented a handgun and we tried it on the range. He decided he liked the gun so he bought one. Process went smoothly. Prices seemed reasonable. He and his wife both took the concealed weapons class threre. Staff are friendly and helpful. I'm waiting a while hoping they get a better selection of used rifles after some trades.
Old February 13, 2014, 11:37 PM   #5
Justice06RR

I've never been, but I've heard good things about that place.

I'm about 1.5hrs away so I'll attempt to visit the range sometime soon.
Old February 14, 2014, 02:28 AM   #6
Adrian

Shooter's World was my favorite range in Tampa. They got most of my business when I lived there, and I still miss them. It's rare to find a range or shop that puts such a good face on our hobby.

It feels like they do everything right that Shoot Straight doesn't. Their ventilation system is top-notch and well-maintained, and the AC keeps things comfortable even in July. The range staff is on the ball and friendly as long as you're not being an idiot and don't try to chew up their backstops with steel (or steel-jacketed) ammo. They're usually pretty generous with your "hour" unless there's a big line outside.

Even their range ammo prices are pretty reasonable.
Matt.25:40
Old February 14, 2014, 08:10 AM   #7
Garycw

Shooters World- experience , opinions?

To my knowledge there's also one in Phoenix and Peoria. Has anyone been to those?
http://www.shootersworld.com/
Edit. I don't think the Tampa location is affiliated with the Arizona & Illinois stores?

Last edited by Garycw; February 14, 2014 at 12:32 PM.
Old February 14, 2014, 03:30 PM   #8
RockDTMC

I've been to both the Phoenix and Peoria locations. I don't think they're affiliated with the one in Florida either. The ranges at the ones here are decent, but they don't have the cameras that you mentioned. Prices are a bit high on accessories, ammo, etc, but not as bad as some other local shops.
Old February 14, 2014, 04:48 PM   #9
Garycw

I believe you're correct Rock. Not sure how they use the same name. They told me that the new rate on the reactive steel range was just lowered from $15 to $8@ hr. however you have to use there ammo which is fragmental.