Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old October 27, 2011, 01:53 PM   #1
swinokur

Philly Mark Fiorina NOT GUILTY

http://ujsportal.pacourts.us/DocketS...R-0017077-2011
Old October 27, 2011, 02:07 PM   #2
divil

Good for him. I remember when this came up...I thought he could have acted better but I'm glad they couldn't stick these bogus charges. Now hopefully he'll sue the point home.
Old October 27, 2011, 02:07 PM   #3
Patriot86

Make sure to put a quick little synopsis down or else a mod will probably lock the thread...

Reading through the history of this I am just amazed...OC looks like it is legal in Phily...I am not a LEO so I can't claim to think like a LEO but as an Average Joe I would probably be LEAST afraid of someone who is OCing, gang bangers, drug dealers and terrorists are not very likly to OC to that leaves you with what 99.9999999999% of the time is going to be someone who knows the law and follows it.

That being said, The late father of my boss was on the CPD for 20+ years and retired as an LT, talking with my boss he always said his father had a very "them and us" "cops and non cops" outlook on life, if you are not a cop you are a threat type of attitude so incorrect as IMO it may be I can understand the flip side of the coin as well.

Last edited by Patriot86; October 27, 2011 at 02:13 PM.
Old October 27, 2011, 04:24 PM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Under PA law, unlicensed open carry is legal everywhere except Philadelphia, where open carry is legal IF you have a PA carry license or a license from another state recognized by PA. However, the Philadelphia Police department doesn't like any citizens to carry guns, so they routinely ignore the law (and both the state and Federal constitutions) and harass anyone they see carrying a firearm -- even when, is in Mark's case, they have no valid probable cause or even a legally-qualifying "reasonable suspicion."

I'll have to read up. There must be a huge celebration on the PAFOA forum right about now.
Old October 27, 2011, 05:00 PM   #5
maestro pistolero

Hopefully this will be costly to the PPD.
Old October 28, 2011, 01:38 AM   #6
jimpeel

The link tells us nothing about this case. It would be nice, as well as plain old courteous, to give a link where we can familiarize ourselves with this case.

"Science is built up with facts, as a house is with stones. But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house." - Jules Henri Poincare

"Three thousand people died on Sept. 11 because eight pilots were killed"
-- former Northwest Airlines pilot Stephen Luckey
Old October 28, 2011, 09:32 AM   #7
Uncle Buck

http://www.copblock.org/2187/mark-fi...open-carrying/

This was the first time I remember hearing about this case. I know there was a discussion here on TFL about it.

http://www.copblock.org/3702/mark-fiorino-update/

More links inside the article.

I am glad it worked out for him. But I still wonder how much his life was turned upside down because of this incident.

There are so many things that are wrong with this whole case. It should never have gone this far.
Old October 28, 2011, 10:11 AM   #8
divil

Here is the original discussion on TFL:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=451441
Old October 28, 2011, 11:21 AM   #9
NJgunowner

And here comes the civil suit... harassment, false arrest, defamation of character, he should come out all right in the end.
Old October 28, 2011, 11:36 AM   #10
C0untZer0

I think Fiorno is a trouble maker and an argumentaive dick.

How is it that he had a tape recorder on him when he "went for a walk"

He was looking to create an incident and then when he got uncooperative with the police that was stupid.
Old October 28, 2011, 12:15 PM   #11
Eghad

Whatever Fiorina did as long as it wasn't illegal does not justify what the police officer did according to a court of law.

The police officer used profanity in addressing a citizen and threatened to shoot him. Where is that justified? It turned out that the officer was advised by his superiors that he was in the wrong. The court of law has said that the officer was wrong.

Now it could cost the taxpayers. The fact of whether or not Fiorina had a tape recorder in his pocket doen't justify the officer's action in any way.

there seems to be a lack of media carrying this story hrmm...

NRA Life Member

Last edited by Eghad; October 28, 2011 at 12:23 PM.
Old October 28, 2011, 12:25 PM   #12
MLeake

C0untZer0, you may not like what Fiorino did, but what part was illegal?

And do you think the officers in question were not, as you put it, "argumentative dick(s)?"

Did he expect such a confrontation? Probably, because Philly PD had been doing this kind of thing with some regularity. In fact, a PPD memo was released that showed the Chief was directing his officers to, in effect, hassle open carriers by checking them repeatedly. Basically, if a cop stopped and checked you, you could then expect to be stopped and checked by the next cop two blocks down, etc.

So Fiorino probably was looking for exactly what he got. I, for one, have no problem with that.

I like cops. I have a lot of cop friends. For a while, I'd considered becoming one. But cops have no right to create their own laws, and cops are not above the law. PPD has had a major lawsuit coming, in a karmic sense, for quite some time now - and it looks like they are finally about to get it.
Old October 28, 2011, 12:31 PM   #13
ltc444

Given the number of incidents with out of control and improperly trained LEOs it seems like a good idea to carry a recording device.

In one of my jobs I carried a recording device so I could dictate my notes my observations for latter transcription. While I was in that position I automatically carried the device when I was off duty.

Given the condition of Paul Babau's Pinal County AZ department I may start carrying one again. Might even add a dash cam.
Old October 28, 2011, 02:00 PM   #14
jimpeel

I now remember this "incident." I commented at one of the sites this was posted that this guy was a grandstander who was looking to be stopped.

He coincidentally knew the internal police directive number (137); and he will now sue for his "injury". He coincidentally had a running tape recorder with him; and it just coincidentally happened to be turned on.This guy makes us all look bad.

"Science is built up with facts, as a house is with stones. But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house." - Jules Henri Poincare

"Three thousand people died on Sept. 11 because eight pilots were killed"
-- former Northwest Airlines pilot Stephen Luckey
Old October 28, 2011, 02:13 PM   #15
44 AMP
Staff

Drive by, Drive by, DRIVE BY! Closed.

Read the rules and do it right, and we can have a conversation.