The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 15, 2014, 12:19 PM   #1
bitttorrrent

S&W 19-3 Grips

Silly question, but just figured out my Dad's nice 6" blue is a square bottom K-frame and was looking to upgrading the stocks. He had put these huge wood target shooting grips on and they are cracked and way too big and curvy.

So, should I go with the original mid-60's OEM wood (I think some have the logo), or go with a current trend (VZ grips are now doing the K-frame in a nice brown or gray g10 laminate)?

And if you ask why, I will say that looking through all his notes, my Father was always trading and buying and selling. And as the one son who knows the most, I intend on keeping his spirit alive by doing the same. Not, by shutting the gun room door and doing nothing.

Either way, the gun is just gorgeous.
Old December 15, 2014, 12:34 PM   #2
Guv

The smooth factory "Target Stocks" are very nice looking though kind of big for some folks. Ebay is a good place to look for some, they can be kind of pricey these days.
Old December 15, 2014, 04:48 PM   #3
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitttorrrent
...should I go with the original mid-60's OEM wood (I think some have the logo)...?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guv
The smooth factory "Target Stocks" are very nice looking... (but) they can be kind of pricey these days.
Be aware that correct collector-grade Target stocks for a 60's K frame may cost a substantial percentage of the total value of the gun.

Here is a thread with a great deal of info about stocks on vintage K frames.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=354057

That said, later-model Targets with the LH-side "C"-shaped speedloader cutout will fool most casual observers without breaking the bank.

Also, the gun may have shipped with Magnas, which can be ascertained by examining the box end label (if you have the original box) or by requesting a factory history letter. These stocks are reasonably inexpensive, but (a) they aren't the greatest from a shooting comfort standpoint- particularly with full-house Magnum loads- unless you at least add a grip adapter, and (b) they were fitted to individual guns in this era, so a random set purchased on Fleabay are likely to be slightly misfitted unless you're really lucky. (Targets were never fitted to individual guns because they fully encase the butt and frontstrap, so fitment wasn't as critical.)
Old December 15, 2014, 08:46 PM   #4
CajunBass

I was looking or a set of grips to replace the Hogues that came on my 19-4 a few weeks ago. I finally decided I didn't want to pay the going rate for original Smith & Wesson target grips, and I don't like the look of Magna's on a Model 19 for some reason.

I found these on E-bay. They looked nice and were inexpensive, so I took a chance on them.

They look good and feel better in my hand. I hope to get a chance to actually use them one of these days.
John 3:16 (NKJV)

Last edited by CajunBass; December 18, 2014 at 04:22 AM.
Old December 17, 2014, 05:08 PM   #5
Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

These are the grips that came on my 19-3 when I bought it brand-spanky new in 1975. At the time they were called Oversized Target Grips and they are made of Goncolo Alves.

Old December 17, 2014, 07:08 PM   #6
lee n. field

Quote:
So, should I go with the original mid-60's OEM wood (I think some have the logo), or go with a current trend (VZ grips are now doing the K-frame in a nice brown or gray g10 laminate)?
So you want to shoot it, or do you want to only make it look good?
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old December 17, 2014, 09:15 PM   #7
Viper99

That is one beautiful 19 Driftwood.
Old December 31, 2014, 11:02 AM   #8
bitttorrrent

Nice pics Driftwood. So those are original target.
Found other link (great pics) and now have decide between magma and target.
Thinking of smooth target but will see if any notes on original purchase. No box.

Also, my bad but it is 19-2, not 19-3. They are pretty close though. I'll research serial and get the year. I'll look tonight.

19-2 (1961): Cylinder stop changed, deleted triggerguard screw.
(1963): Introduce 6" barrel.
(1963): 50 manufactured with 2.5" barrel, serial range K544672–K544721.
(1966): Introduce 2.5" barrel as standard

So between 63 and 1966 because has 6" barrel. And also would still have a diamond- says they deleted that in later years.

Last edited by bitttorrrent; December 31, 2014 at 11:13 AM. Reason: More info
Old January 2, 2015, 10:37 PM   #9
bamabiker

You might want to research those big curvy target grips. Some of them are worth good money.
Old January 3, 2015, 12:13 AM   #10
highpower3006

Early target stocks are becoming quite valuable. There are several variations that were made over the years and some can command breathtaking prices. They were removed from S&W's by the droves back in the day and many have become lost to time. I personally like the way the large target stocks feel and prefer then to most aftermarket stocks unless the aftermarkets mimic the size and shape of the originals.

Your 19-2 was made before 1968 and most likely would have come with a set of diamond targets, so called because of the diamond carved around the screw escutcheon.

They would look like these on my 19-2

Any square butt K frame stocks should fit and except for some cosmetic differences, the non diamond stocks will fit just fine. Here is the set that came on my 66 no dash, they are somewhat easier to get and much cheaper than the diamond targets.

Even later production factory stocks are the speedloader cut targets and they tend to be the least expensive.

Another S&W target stock set that I really like is this set of Eagle reproduction "Coke" stocks that are quite comfortable and look pretty good too.
Old January 3, 2015, 09:15 AM   #11
Blue Grass

About 30 years ago, I bought a used Model 686 with Bill Jordan combat grips.These grips are now on my "4 Model 19. Butt-ugly but very comfortable. I don't know if these grips are available or their cost-value. Might be worth a look.
Old January 3, 2015, 07:15 PM   #12
bitttorrrent

Present without and old wood grips. Will be ordering soon from eBay.

Tags
.38 revolver , g10 , grips , s&w , smith & wesson