The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old January 15, 2013, 06:28 PM   #1
dansu

Browning A5 info

I am new to this site and have posted the following question in the shotgun forum; this might be a better one - I'm not sure.

I have inherited a Belgian made Browning A5 16 ga. from my deceased uncle. I was wondering if anyone had any idea about what I guess are the earlier guns in this series. The sn is 12888 and the Browning site just seems to indicate there is confusion on the earlier production guns.

I have my dad's 12 ga A5 made in 1952 and a sn that begins with 352xxx if I remember correctly. My uncle raised my dad and I was sure my dad said they bought the 2 guns together but the numbers sure seem a long way apart - they bought them both new. Any help/thoughts would be appreciated.
Old January 16, 2013, 11:25 AM   #2
PetahW

Your 16ga dates from 1910-12.

Old January 16, 2013, 02:29 PM   #3
Scorch

Does your 16 ga A5 have the sliding safety that goes front to back instead of the trigger block safety at the rear of the trigger guard? If so, it is chambered for 2-9/16" cartridges and should not be fired with 2-3/4" shells unless it has been modified to do so.
Old January 16, 2013, 05:43 PM   #4
dansu

Thanks for the info. The safety is at the back of the trigger guard. I also thought the gun would be from an early period but I'm positive they bought the guns together (new) in about 1953. My dad bought the 16ga. and my uncle bought the 12. Dad didn't like the 16 so they swapped. Maybe that's where the comment on the Browning site about "confusion" of the early serial numbers comes from. They are both in excellent condition and very well taken care of. Would anyone have any idea of the value of the guns? I have just added them to my collection but was just curious. Thanks.
Old January 19, 2013, 12:52 AM   #5
Scorch

Value for the 16 gauge is about $350-$550 depending on condition (not a lot of interest in 16 gauge anymore), unless the receiver is marked "Sweet Sixteen", in which case you can add about $100 to that. The 12 ga is in about the same price range unless it is a magnum, in which case you can add $200 to that.
Old January 19, 2013, 08:18 PM   #6
dansu

Thanks for the info (sorry it's so late; we've been gone).