The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 4, 2012, 12:58 AM   #1
idaram

Colt Guys, need a little info

What is the significance of the 0 below the serial number. This is on a 1851 2nd Gen. Navy. Hope the pic comes out.

Thanks,

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC08813.jpg (135.7 KB, 54 views)
Old May 4, 2012, 11:58 AM   #2
Hardcase

I lifted this quote of a quote from Fingers McGee from a similar question posed on The High Road a couple of years ago:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingers McGee
From Dennis Russel's book "Percussion Colt Revolvers - The Second Generation - Collectors Handbook and Price Guide #5", page 7.

{BEGIN QUOTE FROM BOOK}
"Before I move on to the Third Model Dragoon, I think it is important that I address a question that is constantly asked regarding the significance of the cipher that appears centered on the frame just under the serial number of early 2nd Gen 1851 Navies. The serial number range is from 4201 to approximately 11000 and is one of the true mysteries (and there are many) of the Colt Second Generation Percussion series."

"To date, I have encountered four potential explanations for the mysterious cipher. There is probably a kernal of truth in each of these explanantions. However, I offer none of them as the definitive answer. The explanations are as follows:"

"1. During the early production days, Colt's experienced quality control problems with frames. In this scenario, the cipher was used as an acceptance mark to identify those frames satisfactory for standard production."

"2. Manufacture of the standard production Model C1121 was taking place at the same time as Grant - Lee Commemorative models. In this scenario, the cipher may have been used to identify those frames destined for use as a standard production Model C1121. It should be noted that Grant - Lee revolver frames do not have the cipher."

"3. Prominent collectors and members of the Colt Commemorative Committee were insistent that Colt's use some means to identify "new" production guns from original models - especially since new production would begin at serial number 4201. Therefore, the early guns (up to around serial number 11000) carried the cipher. This allowed time for the collecting and shooting public to absorb the fact that the 1851 Navy was back in production - thus reducing the potential of fakery."

"4. The cipher mark was discontinued when Colt's changed frame suppliers in 1973."

"I personally think that explanation number 3 is the most plausable. However, it seems possible that a combination of explanations three and four could also be valid."
{END QUOTE FROM BOOK}
Old May 4, 2012, 04:21 PM   #3
idaram

Thank you sir!

Best regards......Andy
Old May 17, 2012, 12:26 AM   #4
grizzlybear69

1851 colt

I have been trying to find out what type of pistol i have and the closest that i can find is the 1851 colt acording to the pictures from every where i have looked but i have a problem, it has no markings except 3 little knotches that was put there by someone right infront of thr brass of the trigger guard. It is in very good working condition and everything looks clean for its age but with out the numbers that supose to have i have no idea how to trace it back. can someone help?
Old May 17, 2012, 01:21 AM   #5
Hawg

Need pics.
Old May 17, 2012, 05:52 AM   #6
mykeal

With pictures we can certainly tell you what model, or 'pattern', the gun is, but without manufacturer's marks or proof house stamps it's very unlikely anyone can do more than that.

You've probably gotten a gun that someone has 'defarbed', either because they just didn't like the marks or perhaps in an attempt to disguise the gun's real origins.