The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 16, 2012, 10:59 AM   #1
xtriggerman

Calling all KAHR 40 owners, Is your barrel like this?

Just got a used K40 off GB a few days ago. Once over, it looked clean so I put my first 6 rounds in under 1.5" off hand @ 30". I realy start liking this gun right off the git go. I put about 50 rounds through it and it shoots just fine and about the most accurate compact auto I can recall shooting. Then I take the gun apart and see how the barrel lock up has nearly no shoulder what so ever! It looks like what little of it was there is peaned away. This lack of lock up shoulder is now putting a peaned out bur on the caming surface where the slide stop in keeps the barrel in battery (pictured). The picture with my thumb in it shows a white line that is a slight pean of the barrel imprint on what God awfull little the barrel is locking up on. If your used to seeing twin .050 thousandths deep locking lugs on a "mild pressured" 1911 45 barrel and here, see nearly nothing but tiny lines.... ***! Only the gun shoots fine.... I Emailed Kahr with the photos but have not gotten a responce yet. Is this just my gun or do all you 40 guys have the same lack of recoil shoulders on your guns? Im afraid this thing will someday blow a round right out of battery when those lines give up the ghost.

Old March 16, 2012, 12:28 PM   #2
chris in va

I have a Kahr K9. It looks nothing like that and I would definitely give Kahr a call ASAP.
Old March 17, 2012, 10:21 AM   #3
xtriggerman

Thanks Chris, it must be I have a "defective workmanship" problem? I submitted the return request. I hope they dont want to soak me for a new barrel & slide. This is a dam shame on them. This is my very first rounds fired out of this gun off hand @ 30 feet. & now this problem!
Old March 17, 2012, 10:43 AM   #4
Will Beararms

Welcome to Kahr
Old March 19, 2012, 06:44 PM   #5
Kiawah

Looks like that had some miles on it....
Old March 19, 2012, 09:26 PM   #6
weldonjr2001

I had a k40 for 10 years, have a cw40 and a pm40. I put less than a 1000 rounds through the k40, but they were almost all hot 155 grain jhps. I have about 400 of the same through the cw and pm.

None of them ever exhibited/exhibit any barrel peening at all.

That pistol must have seen MAJOR use, and the peening must have been ignored. A new barrel is only a hundred or so bucks.
Old March 21, 2012, 12:45 PM   #7
xtriggerman

Thanks for the replies. I am sending it back to Kahr today. The CS rep told me it is a 2002 gun that was serviced by them in 09 (didnt say what they did). A new barrel will not solve the problem since the slide has no recoil shoulder left since its now a very small rounded nub. Clearly this was a defective out of spec slide and possible barrel also. What gets me is how they missed this in 09. I hope they R&R the slide & barrel for free. If not, the forums are going to get a bunch of postings! Stay tuned for the outcome.