The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 31, 2006, 10:36 PM   #1
KB5AKO

Which APS Primers?

I want to reload .38, 9 mm, .357, .44, and .45 pistols.

I will be purchasing an RCBS Pro 2000 press. All the components that are needed can be purchased competitively at a local retail store in Houston. However, the local retail outlet does not stock APS strips; so I'll have to mail order the APS strips. Since I'll be ordering 5000 strips and out $30.00 for HazMat & shipping, I want to get the right primers to begin with.

Are all primer pockets small for < 10 mm cases;
and are all primer pockets large for 10 mm and >? Or, are they mixed?

I'm guessing with my listed calibers, I'll have to order small and large strips?

Victor
Old December 31, 2006, 10:53 PM   #2
Rimrod

RCBS makes a strip loader so you can fill your own strips, which you can order empty. This way you can buy the primers of your choice locally and save the HAZMAT fees. (I'm not sure which colors they use for what but I'm sure someone will give that to you sooner or later.)

I use the same strips for all my reloading without color coding them, but you have to be careful not to get them confused. I only load as many primers as I need and don't leave any in the strips when finished.
Old January 1, 2007, 12:21 AM   #3
KB5AKO

Rimrod,

I've seen that tool and I will probably get one sometime after my initial purchase. It will be after my initial investment. Geez, I'm estimating I'll be out close to a grand after my first order. To begin with, I am going to purchase some strips pre-primed. I'm thinking I should get a batch of small primers and large ones as well for my listed calibers. Right?

Victor
Old January 1, 2007, 12:43 PM   #4
dogfood

Victor:

Quote:
Are all primer pockets small for < 10 mm cases;
and are all primer pockets large for 10 mm and >? Or, are they mixed?
In general, this is true ... but there are at least a few exceptions. For instance, I believe the .45 GAP uses a small primer. And, at one time, you could get .357 magnum brass with large pockets (although that was a long time ago).

But to answer your question, yes, you will need both small and large pistol primers for the calibers in your list.

dogfood
Old January 1, 2007, 07:19 PM   #5
Rimrod

Right Victor,

Your 9mm, 38spl and .357 magnum takes small pimers and the .44 and .45 will take large. Although with magnum cartridges like .357 magnums and .44 magnums sometimes call for magnum primers.

And dogfood left out one of my favorite cartridges on the "exception list". The .41AE uses small primers.
Old January 1, 2007, 07:43 PM   #6
KB5AKO

Fellas,

Thanks for the feedback. I'll go ahead and order some primers tomorrow.

This Friday, I'll go get the RCBS Pro 2000 press and all the other goodies!

I'm sure I will have more questions later. This group is great!

Victor
Old January 1, 2007, 10:28 PM   #7
Abstract

Word: Get the RCBS Lockout Die.
Old January 4, 2007, 12:12 AM   #8
FRANK1669

The pro 2000 I got came with the primer tray loader and a bunch of strips Take your time with the 2000 for a while. I easily load 400 rounds an hour with mine and that is checking rounds often. the powder measure is great usually only 0.1 grain off at max The aps strips come in I think 4 different colors But large and small are all you have to worry about If you dont leave them full ( oh the reason to take your time is if you dont give it a full strock in both directions the APS will be a real PIA but once you learn to use it it is great) 10mm takes a large primer and a 40 S&W takes a small primer bullets are the same diameter But changint the Plunger is pretty easy on the press
My realoding manuals give the primer thst should be used with the load Good luck