The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 19, 2014, 11:06 AM   #1
prbrolltide

kimber custom crimson carry or sig p220

Hey guys, I'm thinking about trading my sig p220 .45 for a kimber custom crimson carry 2. I was wondering what you all thought about which one is the better gun and why. I owned a kimber before and never experienced any of the negative things I read about them online. So I was wondering why do kimber pistols get such a bad rap from ethe majority of people that write reviews? Thanks for your help stay safe and god bless.
Old December 19, 2014, 06:08 PM   #2
Uncle Malice

I would never trade a Sig for a Kimber, but that's just me. I'm not a Kimber fan at all.

Value of the trade is probably fair though.

I had horrible experience with my Kimber, but more importantly than the gun having problems was that their customer service was horrible. Add to that, that there gun only has a1 year warranty... No thanks. It's a shame because I think they make some of the best looking 1911's out there.

I'd much more recommend S&W or a Sig 1911 instead of Kimber.
Old December 19, 2014, 06:28 PM   #3
PatientWolf

+1 on Uncle Malice's reply, although I would also consider a Colt 1911.
Old December 19, 2014, 09:11 PM   #4
ritepath

P220....no grip safety to make decocking with one hand nearly impossible.
Old December 19, 2014, 11:38 PM   #5
Doc Intrepid

Bottom line is that it's all about you.

Asking what is right for other guys may be interesting, but it may also be irrelevant with regard to whats right for you.

I'm a Colt guy. Always have owned them, up until this year always carried them, worshipped at the altar of Jeff Cooper, etc.

Now I'm carrying a Sig P220 pretty exclusively, and it would be my go-to gun if I had a choice.

I wouldn't own a Kimber. There are nice Dan Wesson Colt clones out there, as well as the specialty pistols from Wilson or Clark, and someKImber owners love their pistols, but too many guys I've known have bought Kimbers and regretted it. No thanks.

I'd advise you to keep the Sig. Sigs are just hard to beat when life gets kinetic.
Old December 20, 2014, 12:30 AM   #6
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritepath
P220....no grip safety to make decocking with one hand nearly impossible.
Why would you need to decock a 1911? It's a single-action pistol that works best when carried in Condition One. The only time you should be decocking it is when you're clearing it, and in that case just pull the trigger after you've dropped the mag and emptied the chamber.
Old December 20, 2014, 01:02 AM   #7
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by prbrolltide
Hey guys, I'm thinking about trading my sig p220 .45 for a kimber custom crimson carry 2. I was wondering what you all thought about which one is the better gun and why.
Well, there's two issues here. First, do you prefer a double-action/single-action (DA/SA) gun like the SIG or a single-action (SA) gun like a 1911? With the SIG you carry it decocked, and then you have a long, heavy DA pull for the first shot followed by short, light SA pulls for all subsequent shots. And with the 1911 you carry it cocked and on safe, and so every shot is a short, light SA pull.

The second issue is quality. The SIG P220 is a top-of the line pistol. And there's no other company making a design exactly like the SIG. But a Kimber 1911 is just another 1911, and it's not a top-quality 1911. Kimber makes lots of nice-looking pistols, but their quality can be spotty and their prices are too high for what you're getting. Kimber has had great marketing over the years, and they've managed to convince many people that their guns are a lot better than they really are. But I'd much rather have a Colt or a Springfield.

So first decide if you want a DA/SA gun like a SIG or a SA gun like a 1911. If you decide on a 1911, then you need to decide which one, and unless the Custom Crimson Carry 2 is the only 1911 that has the exact features you want, I'd stay away from Kimber if I were you.
Old December 20, 2014, 10:55 AM   #8
AFK

Although I own 2 older Kimber's I will never buy another one. After the dreadful experience I had with a Super Carry Pro and their CS, I'll spend my money on something else.
Old December 20, 2014, 11:08 AM   #9
boondocker385

I am not a "brwnd" guy. I have had 2 Kimbers. ...keep the sig if you are planning to put your life on the line.
Old December 20, 2014, 01:10 PM   #10
AK103K

Kimber was one of the reasons I went over to SIG in the first place. Springfield, and a few others aided in that decision as well. 1911's are a niclke a dozen anymore, and just because it looks like one, and is pretty, doesnt make it good.

My P220's were all great guns, and never had a lick of trouble with any of them. I wouldnt do what youre considering.

If you feel you must, Id keep the SIG, and buy the Kimber. At least that way, you wont regret it as bad.
Old December 21, 2014, 03:14 PM   #11
Mike_Fontenot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theohazard
First, do you prefer a double-action/single-action (DA/SA) gun like the SIG or a single-action (SA) gun like a 1911?
The Sig 220 is available in either DA/SA or SAO. I don't remember if the OP specified which P220 he has.
Old December 21, 2014, 04:10 PM   #12
Theohazard

^^^ Good point. It's probably a safe assumption that it's DA/SA considering the SA versions are relatively rare, but you know what they say about assumptions...
Old December 23, 2014, 02:31 AM   #13
Brotherbadger

I wouldn't trade my p220 for anything. It's my favorite pistol.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "

Tags
custom crimson carry , kimber , sig , sig p220