The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 25, 2013, 09:11 PM   #1
MarkGlazer

Case trimming - Lyman v. Lee manuals

I received the 49th edition of Lymans' loading manual this week and have begun reading. Earlier this year I purchased and read the Lee manual. Lyman is much more meticulous than Lee. As an example, Lee only address case trimming when he's talking about rifles. Lyman address both handgun and rifle.

So here are two questions that come to mind;
1. Should you measure your used handgun cases prior to prepping them for reload?
2. How many of you experienced loaders are actually trimming your handgun cases?

I do understand the basics of metallurgy and the expansion and stretching of the metal. However, it is not a handgun topic that I have seen discussed on this board since I joined earlier this year. I need to know if I should be adding another quality control step into my process.

I appreciate your thoughts on the matter.

Thank you.
Old May 25, 2013, 09:29 PM   #2
Blindstitch

I don't have or reload for pistols but I would bet that it would still make the loader feel dumb if the brass expanded and locked in the barrel of any gun. Trimming is easy and well worth the precaution. Sure one or two reloads might not stretch the brass that much but the higher the number of times reloaded the more likely it is to happen.

I have simple lee hand trimmers and they really do take the guess work out of things.
Old May 25, 2013, 09:35 PM   #3
603Country

I very rarely ever trim pistol brass cases. I have trimmed a few 357 cases that were slightly too long and were messing up my crimp. Other than that, no need, and thank goodness for that. I resized about 500 cases this afternoon.
Old May 25, 2013, 09:41 PM   #4
Silver00LT

I measure the cases...it shows the specs right on the Lee die set paper. .754" max case and 1.169" max for 9MM on the Lee sheet.

If I need to trim cases I throw them in a separate bin. IDK I'm picky I spread my reloading over a couple days to stay fresh at each task. I break it down into two groups. Deprime, size, inspect, clean pocket and prime. Then I charge, seat and crimp the second go around.

I never tumble and reload the same day. lol Weird I know. My rifle cases I trim before I put them in the OK to load bin. I have like 10 bins.
Old May 25, 2013, 09:52 PM   #5
boondocker385

For revolver loads I trim only when necessary.... hot .357 and .44 mag stretches the cases. I rarely have to trim 38 special.
Old May 25, 2013, 11:37 PM   #6
big al hunter

I started trimming handgun casings when I noticed the mouths were unevenly crimped in the canelure. I had to trim to minimum case length to even up the case mouth. Since then I measure and check for square, even case mouths every loading. I like to pull a sample out of each batch, somewhere around 10% to measure. I only trim when i need to. But when i do, I trim the entire batch to the same length.
Old May 25, 2013, 11:52 PM   #7
BigTex308

With pistol loads I never load hot enough to have them stretch out enough to warrant trimming. (with the exception of some 44mag and 357mag loads...)

For me trimming (for handgun) is a waste of time and not worth it. I don't see the point. unless your crimps start to get out of whack.

I don't need 5 shots touching eachother at 30 yards. I just need a decent sized group.

If Extreme accuracy is my goal, I'll trim. But otherwise I skip it.

I do trim (as needed) every rifle case though.

Ike

Last edited by BigTex308; May 25, 2013 at 11:58 PM.
Old May 25, 2013, 11:53 PM   #8
TXGunNut

Since most handgun cases don't "grow" appreciably the best reason for trimming is to obtain a consistent crimp. Best practice is to use cases from one lot, second best is to ensure they're all the same length. I don't routinely trim handgun cases, many actually get shorter with firing.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old May 26, 2013, 09:19 AM   #9
Ozzieman

I’m with Big Tex on this one. I have been reloading for over 30 years. I have 44 special brass that I have been reloading for almost that long. They are Federal specials that I have no idea how many times they have been reloaded.
I have 44 mags I use in Rifles and use hot loads.
I have never and never will trim pistol cases.
Rifles are different. Each one of the 223’s that are fired out of my 700 is trimmed to the length of the measured chamber. If I could I would trim them within .00000001 inches but they are all within 0.001 of each other all of the time or they don’t see the chamber.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old May 26, 2013, 10:18 AM   #10
buck460XVR

I trim my legitimate magnum revolver cases, when needed, to ensure the consistent crimp needed for consistent ignition of the slow burning powders used and to prevent bullet "jump". For reduced recoil revolver and auto rounds that use a taper crimp, I don't bother.