The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 18, 2011, 11:41 AM   #51
Mannlicher

Mossberg 930 SPX. Combat ready out of the box.
http://www.mossberg.com/products/def...ction=products

Like a pump, then the 590A1 will do ya.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old May 18, 2011, 08:10 PM   #52
The Terminator

Quote:
I don't see a collapsible stock as a necessity for a "combat" shotgun.
I like to be able to adjust it to my arms length. It brings the fore grip more to the rear so that I don't have to straighten my arms out so much to work the pump. So, for $50, I got a stock that is adjustable, and folds to the side so that the pistol grip can be utilized without having to remove the butt stock. Folding is handy for moving it around in a car, or truck cab, or making it fit better in the trunk of a car. I'm sure that some (oh geez, I'm gonna hurl ) "tactical" uses come from it as well. Now, the heat shield? Will anyone ever heat the barrel up enough to need one?

John 3:16 (I hope to see You over there.)
Old May 19, 2011, 01:57 AM   #53
ClydeFrog

Intimidation...

A heat shield or other tacticool knick knacks may not be fully needed for firing 1/2 12ga shells in a real critical event but I'd say a "mean, lean fighting machine" may scare the scat out of a violent criminal.
It's not a 100% absolute by any means but if it deters a thug or reduces the chance of a shooting then so be it.
The main goal is defense or protection not re-doing the Alamo or the Tet Offensive.

CF
ps; Dont think that a "combat" shotgun will impress every violent felon either.
As the late author Robert Boatman said; "A well aimed shot of intimidation never killed anyone."
www.Boatmanbooks.com
Old May 19, 2011, 02:27 PM   #54
C0untZer0

What's taking so long...

Isn't this thing built yet?
Old May 19, 2011, 08:08 PM   #55
Rugerismisticness

Benelli M2 tactical WITH the comfortech and extended midlength mag tube is my choice, not that I will ever buy a shotgun for any kind of defensive use, pistols excell much faster and easier in this role. I happen to have a few pistols
Old May 19, 2011, 08:52 PM   #56
Kevinch

Quote:
not that I will ever buy a shotgun for any kind of defensive use, pistols excell much faster and easier in this role.

Not quite sure how that is true.
...arms...discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. ...Horrid mischief would ensue were (the law abiding) deprived the use of them. --Thomas Paine
Old May 19, 2011, 09:58 PM   #57
C0untZer0

Quote:
not that I will ever buy a shotgun for any kind of defensive use, pistols excel much faster and easier in this role.
I don't mind hijacking this thread at all - everything has been said, there is enough info here to build Ten Tac Shotguns (or combat shotgun if you want to call it that)

The comment about pistols excelling [sic..] in this role MUST BE CHALLENGED, hence the possible hi jacking of this thread...

OK, first of all a shotgun is as controllable or more controllable than most major caliber handguns.

They are as controllable or more controllable than most major caliber handguns, and a semi auto shotgun gun be fired accurately as quickly as most stock handguns (not talking race guns here...)

So lets say someone has a 12ga loaded with 2&3/4 #0 Buck - that is a 580 grain payload. Getting shot with that is like getting simultaneously shot by twelve .32 cal carbines. (Kinda - http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu91.htm) Twelve .32 cal projectiles that penetrate 12 to 14"

Same weapon loaded with #000 Buck is like getting shot by 9mm eight times (kind of, like maybe with 95grain bullets).

A person with a semi-auto shotgun can fire as quickly as someone with a handgun, but the shotgun delivers many more projectiles in less time.

There is no way a pistol excels over a shotgun in HD/SD.
Old May 19, 2011, 10:14 PM   #58
C0untZer0

Here is some interesting info on shotgun wounds at various distances:

http://firearmsid.com/A_distshotpatt.htm

Some pictorials of shot patterns at more than HD range with different chokes and ammo:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot45.htm
Old May 22, 2011, 08:37 PM   #59
Smoke Screen

I completely agree

Lol....thanks for the info Count Zero. I agree with you about the Shotgun as a HD/SD weapon. As to your previous post asking if it was built yet?....not quite my friend, but the foundation has been dug and we are under construction. I will post pics when I am done but it's at least a couple weeks out.
Old May 23, 2011, 09:31 PM   #60
C0untZer0

Quote:
I would say the reliability of the M4 far outstrips that of the 930 SPX ... and I own a 930 SPX. - Mudinyeri
Have you had problems with your 930 ? Everything that I have read from owners, they have said it's rock solid, no malfunctions.

I don't know, I actually am a little partial to the Bennelli. I have heard that th ecollapsable stock on the M4 is not adjustable - it's either completely extended or completley collapsed, but there are corners in my house I wouldn't want to go around with a full stock. I don't think I would mind having a short stock. But I don't know...

The other thing is it seems really difficult (and confusing) to get the collapable stock version of the M4.

I don't think the 930 can be fitted with a buttstock that is going to collapse.

When I compared the two though - I sort of came to the conclusion that they are about the same as far as reliability goes.
Old May 23, 2011, 10:10 PM   #61
jmortimer

Everything I have read indicates that the 930 is as reliable as a semi-auto shotgun gets. The M4 may be "better" in certain respects but I doubt it is any more reliable than a 930.
Old May 24, 2011, 03:37 PM   #62
C0untZer0

Quote:
A combat shotgun is a shotgun that is intended for use in an offensive role, typically by a military force. The earliest shotguns specifically designed for combat were the trench guns or trench shotguns issued in World War I.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combat_shotgun

I guess instead of it called a Home Defensive shotgun, it would be a Home Offensive shotgun?
Old May 24, 2011, 07:36 PM   #63
Gehrhard

Short 590A1, long 590, 500...
Gehr
Old May 24, 2011, 07:42 PM   #64
Ac1d0v3r1d3

My "combat" shotgun was a stock Mossberg Maverick 88 for several years. It was my most used gun at the time, so I was very familiar with it. Than I had a Fail to Fire incident.
Then I bought a benelli nova. The stock was too short so I bought a butt pad, it has ghost ring sights (which are quite high) so I bought a cheek rest that also holds 10 or so extra rounds of 12 gauge. When I go shooting I have to carry the firearms a ways sometimes so I bought a nice leather sling for it.

My advice for you is to buy a shotgun that feels good and has an extended magazine. And then shoot the heck out of it. I like shooting clays because it gives you expierence with moving targets. Then once you've put some rounds through it and learned how it shoots, then start to buy "add-ons" for it and see what you like. The best weapon to have in combat is the one that you are most familiar with.

Last edited by Ac1d0v3r1d3; May 25, 2011 at 05:06 PM.
Old May 26, 2011, 11:24 AM   #65
Kevinch

I'm watching this thread with a lot of interest.

Years ago, on a whim, I bought an older well used 870 12g Wingmaster with the intent on building a HD shotgun. It has a long barrel; I'm not sure as I haven't measured it but it has to be 24" or 28". It also has a left-handed safety, which I thought would be a simple thing to reverse. Now years later it sits in a case untouched - but is a project I'd still like to undertake. I wonder whether or not to cut the barrel or buy a new one, keep the wood furniture or go with synthetic, should I go with sights or not, extended mag tube or none, & how much will it cost to reverse the safety.

This thread has helped!
...arms...discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. ...Horrid mischief would ensue were (the law abiding) deprived the use of them. --Thomas Paine