The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 17, 2001, 10:33 AM   #26
Smokey Joe

Right on, again, Charmedlyfe. (You 'n' me seem to see eye to eye pretty well.) When using any powder scale, you are, after all, measuring very small different amounts of what can be a dangerous substance. You can do a careful job of that, with a balance beam or an electronic (and with reloading equipment ranging from a Lee hammer-it-in kit to one of Dillon's home ammunition factories) and work at building quality ammunition, or be haphazard, at which point you might just as well not reload, and buy ready-made Federal Premium Gold, or Eley Match, or the Winchester high-grade ammo (all of which is frankly, very good, nowadays), and be done with it. If you can't take the time and effort to do it right there's no point in doing it at all.
Old July 18, 2001, 04:43 PM   #27
WIL TERRY

LOADING SCALES

STARTED HANDLOADING IN 1960. BOUGHT A NEW HERTER'S SCALE AND USED IT FOR YEARS. SOLD IT TO A PAL WHO IS STILL USING IT. I WENT WITH AN OHAUS 1010 AT THAT TIME AND STILL USE IT AS IT IS A SELF CONTAINED UNIT WITH A SNAP ON COVER. A YEAR OR SO AFTER THAT I BOUGHT AN OHAUS DIAL-A -GRAIN AND STILL USE IT NEARLY EVERY DAY. I BOUGHT AN OHAUS/RCBS M90 ELECTRONIC SCALE WHEN THEY CAME OUT ABOUT 10 YEARS AGO OR SO AND USED IT UNTIL RECENTLY WHEN IT WENT T-U BIGTIME. HAD A PACT/RCBS SCALE BRAND NEW IN THE BOX SO I SET IT UP AND FOUND THE LITTLE P O S WOULD NOT REPEAT A WEIGHT IF YOUR LIFE DEPENDED ON IT. I DID FIGURE OUT IT WAS ACCURATE IN LARGE CHARGES AND SINCE I ALWAYS WEIGH 10 CHARGES FOR AVERAGE IT IS USEFUL A BIT THERE. I CHECK EVERYTHING ON THE DIAL-A-GRAIN [ WHICH HAS HAD IT'S PIVOTS REPLACED ONCE ABOUT 10 YEARS AGO ]
I WOULD NOT TRUST ONE OF THOSE ELECTRONIS SCALES AS FAR AS I CAN KEEP IT IN MY GUNSIGHTS. I DON'T TRUST ANYTHING ELECTRONIC FRANKLY AND ALWAYS WEAR TWO WATCHES WHEN I'M OUT IN THE BOONIES 'CAUSE THOSE G-D BATTERIES WILL ALWAYS LET YOU DOWN AT THE WORST POSSIBLE TIME.
I HAVE SEVERAL SCALE WEIGHTS AND ALWAYS USE THEM WHEN SOMETHING LOOKS GOOFY IN WEIGHING WHICH HAPPENS MORE THAN YOU'LL CARE TO KNOW IF YOU'RE PAYING ATTENTION.
A GOOD BALANCE BEAM SCALE IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO IF IT IS YOUR ONLY SCALE. AND BUY SCALE WEIGHTS TO CHECK IT FREQUENTLY.
BEING A CHARTER MEMBER OF THE IOIOF I BELIEVE ELECTRONIC SCALES ARE ANOTHER GIFT TO THE WORLD OF TARGETS FROM THE BIG HANDLOADER UPSTAIRS...