The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 25, 2005, 11:35 PM   #1
Rodger Peterson

38 s&w mod 10-5

Can a S&W Model 10-5 handle +P pressure? Here's a side question, how fast must a 125 grain jacketed hollow point go to get good expansion? I have some of these bullets laying around from my 357 and I was going to load them up for my 3" snubbie for defense, if I can determine if they will be reliable stoppers.
Old January 27, 2005, 11:54 AM   #2
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Depends on WHICH 125 JHPs you have

This is one of those situations where bullet constrruction is literally crucial. As you know, you must push JHPs to a certain level to make 'em expand, and that certain level varies with the type of bullet. Some will expand fairly well in animal tissue at as little as, say, 900 fps. Others, especially if fabricated to hold together at .357 mag velocities, don't want to pop until well beyond 1000.

Hornady's XTP bullets are packaged with a slip which indicates the preferred range of velocities for that particular item. Speer's 125 Gold Dot has a good reputation, but I have not handloaded any of these.
Quote:
I was going to load them up for my 3" snubbie for defense, if I can determine if they will be reliable stoppers.
Your 10-5 is safe for use at +P levels, so about all you can do, especially with that short a barrel, is to stoke these bullets up to max and hope for the best. The Speer loading data shows all their 125 bullets as max at 6.0 gr. Unique or 5.9 of H. Universal. These show 1050 to 1080 in a six-inch barrel.

Rodger, I suggest that for pure defense, if you need to handload, you might be happier with a 158 gr LSWC, either solid or HP. The velocities will be lower, but the sectional density is very good. Also, for social purposes, the good ol' 158 LSWCHP+P, either R-P or Win factory loads, has an outstanding reputation. And Speer's new 135 gr JHP+P was formulated especially for short barrel revolvers. If you choose the latter, you can handload your 125 JHPs to approximately the same velocity for practice. I dunno if Speer offers their 135 JHP bullets as a separate component.

Best of luck - -
Johnny
Old January 27, 2005, 09:41 PM   #3
Rodger Peterson

Thanks Johnny,

I agree that the 158 lead is a better choice, and I will stay with that load. Looking at the big manufacturers, seems they all are promoting light and fast as personal defense. As a reloader, I question whether I personally can produce a load that will make the hollow point perform. I know the answer is that I must try it and find out. I guess I was fishing to see if someone has already gone through the trouble. The one thing I would like to know is if the big manufacturer's are promoting hollow points because of pressure from gun control groups or if in fact they do perform from a 38. I really have trouble seeing a 125 grain JHP at 945 fps (owning a chronograph I expect I must remove a least a 100 fps from factory ballistics) expanding much, let alone slowing it down out of a short barrel. By the way, thanks for letting me know the mod 10-5 will take +P