The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old February 2, 2010, 09:55 AM   #1
Morgoroth

Silenced Shotty

I know that video games are a bad source for realism, but there are a couple out now that are supposed to be realistic and have silenced shotguns.

There is some info on the net about it also. It seems like a slug would be pretty quiet with a silencer since it is subsonic.

Any body around here have any experience with this?
Old February 2, 2010, 11:21 AM   #2
flight954

The only information I've found is from a European company. Other than that it looks like you would have to build one yourself with the approval on a $200 Form (I can't remember which one) from the BATFE.
Old February 2, 2010, 12:38 PM   #3
mrnkc130

Should be a form 1 for a build...no idea on how to make it work with a shotgun though... I recall a previous thread discussing this... You'd have to go digging for it though
Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man,the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a timehanded out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now
restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things:bread and circuses (Juvenal, Satire 10.77–81)
Old February 2, 2010, 01:21 PM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
It seems like a slug would be pretty quiet with a silencer since it is subsonic.
That's not always true. In fact, more often than not, slugs are super-sonic.
Old February 2, 2010, 01:35 PM   #5
Lavid2002

Id imagine the wad would cause some problems....no?
Old February 2, 2010, 04:27 PM   #6
mapsjanhere

The big issue will be effectiveness. You have that huge center hole, so a lot of your gases will go just straight instead of entering whatever you use to suppress the sound.
Old February 2, 2010, 06:36 PM   #7
LukeA

To make a shotgun suppressor as effective as the MW2 or No Country For Old Men one, it would have to be much larger in real life than those fictional ones.
Old February 2, 2010, 06:46 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

I never tried it but I have read that suppressors (silencers) have been tried on shotguns and failed due to the suppressor trapping small shot and bits of wadding. Maybe if something like a copper shot cup were tried, it might work.

Jim
Old February 2, 2010, 07:03 PM   #9
SDC

I've fired a "Hushpower" single-shot based on an Italian break-open shotgun, and it was surprisingly effective, but had a very unusual report to it; the outer aluminium body of the suppressor would ring slightly with each shot, so you would get a "thwop-nnnng" sound with each shot. They built these very simply, with a rear diaphragm welded onto the barrel, the rest of the barrel ported with 4 rows of holes, and the rest of the suppressor threaded onto the barrel from the front. It tended to get dirty, but it was easy to clean, and the wad did a fairly good job of directing the gas into the suppressor.
Old February 2, 2010, 07:08 PM   #10
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

What is this "shotty" you speak of? "Shotty" workmanship? How do you put a silencer on that
Old February 2, 2010, 07:17 PM   #11
Grandpatime

i dont care if you call it a shotty or shotgun im not going to be a^^ hole just so i can sound smart.Anyways there is a suppressor builder who made one for a 410 mossberg 500

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cz8uZWtt3Q
Old February 2, 2010, 07:40 PM   #12
RAnb

Here is a reflex design. I read somewhere that it suppressed less than 20 decibels. It should work with slugs and shot though.

Hushpower in England makes them with the usual baffles instead of a perforated tube afaik. The baffles just have a large bore to keep from catching the shot cup.

Ranb
Old February 2, 2010, 08:11 PM   #13
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

Well Grandpa, it doesn't seem like you have to try very hard to be one, and I don't mean smart!

By the by, your use of the "^" to disguise your language is clearly a forum breach.
Old February 2, 2010, 08:20 PM   #14
Grandpatime

There you go again lol .Its alright you cant help it
Old February 3, 2010, 07:54 AM   #15
Morgoroth

ahem... Back to the topic. That vid is pretty cool. And fairly effective it sounds like. Wonder if they tried it with larger gauges?

Pizzakilla- You are right. I forgot a step when I did the math. The speed of sound is 1125fps at sea lvl. Most slug rounds are higher than that, but a lot of shot rounds are really close or under that. I wonder if anyone who loads their own shells has loaded subsonic shells on purpose and how much difference it would make?

This fist listing or 00 buck would be subsonic if it shot at exactly that MV.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...mmo&hasJS=true

Last edited by Morgoroth; February 3, 2010 at 08:13 AM. Reason: PS
Old February 3, 2010, 07:36 PM   #16
jaguarxk120

Quote"i dont care if you call it a shotty or shotgun im not going to be a^^ hole just so i can sound smart.Anyways there is a suppressor builder who made one for a 410 mossberg 500 "

Please see the Rules of Conduct, number 4, it spells out the use of the english language and slang terms.
Old February 3, 2010, 09:27 PM   #17
Grandpatime

I just dont see the point of giving him a hard time when you know what he's talking about thats being a ass
Old February 3, 2010, 09:36 PM   #18
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

It was a joke. It was humor. It was worth a smirk and nothing more. It was a comment that was easily ignored. You however, felt the need to respond to a little levity with name calling. Why? Are you twelve? Your comment was aggressive, abusive and completely unwarranted.

Frankly, I don't see the point of being a jerk about a silly joke.
Old February 3, 2010, 09:39 PM   #19
deanpf

Here's another YouTube from England.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB__xEwuM50
Old February 3, 2010, 09:41 PM   #20
Grandpatime

im a stiff when it comes to gun stuff i dont like "joking around"
Old February 5, 2010, 09:12 PM   #21
Willie Lowman

Oh! I wanna argue too!

Shotty is accepted slang for shotgun. It has been in use for over 100 years. IIRC it was coined by big game hunters in Africa. Grow up guys.

Quote:
"Shotty" workmanship?
I think you mean "shoddy"
shod·dy
adj. shod·di·er, shod·di·est
1. Made of or containing inferior material.
2. Of poor quality or craft.
Old February 11, 2010, 02:23 AM   #22
Legion2600

I think Tony Rumore was working on something like this.
Old February 11, 2010, 09:55 AM   #23
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

Wille,

Clearly you're never run into humor before. Has anyone ever told you a joke before? Did you get it?

No, I meant "shotty", I put the word in quotes to emphasize that I was making a pun. I was using the fact that "shotty" and "shoddy" sound alike. It's called word substitution. Yes, I know what they both mean. I happen to have a Ph.D. from an ivy league university. I'm sorry if my humor is too cerebral for your comprehension.

There was no argument. I made a joke, another guy with no sense of humor got bent out of shape, called me names and I made fun of him. Done. Finished. Period. How about you grow up and let it drop?

The thread was viewed 716 times. You and Grandptime were the only people that didn't get the joke and saw the need to be antagonistic. What does that tell you about yourself?
Old February 11, 2010, 10:22 AM   #24
flight954

Hey SwampYankee there's alot on this board that get their feelers hurt if you throw in a little satire. I've also been flamed for it
Old February 11, 2010, 12:35 PM   #25
jesus5150

I got into this thread because I was genuinely interested in the topic. I played the Videogame, Call of duty (4) and I stumbled across a supressed SPAS and thought... No... You can't do that... Can You? And ever since then I've been EXTREMELY interested in the topic. But after the arguing and name calling... I just want everyone to hug it out! I'm sad now CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG?

Now my manscara is running lol (just kidding, it's waterproof. ha ha now i'm really kidding and also done)

Interesting thread.