The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 30, 2006, 04:02 PM   #1
firechicken

Are Midway's Dogtown bullets......

.....made by Nosler? I just bought 100 of the 50gr, and 100 of the 55gr to try in my 700 VLS in 223. The boxes had the familiar black with white letters "factory sealed for your protection" seal on the box flap. After I opened the boxes, I found the foam padding on top, and the bullets were wrapped in plastic......just like Nosler does.

I took a 5-bullet sample of each to inspect. I measured each with my comparator, and they all were within .001". The scale showed the same consistency.....all were within 0.1gr. I also checked some Nosler 52gr HPBT, and Hornady 55gr SP with about the same results. All were very consistant. I can't say the same for the Remington and Winchester bullets I checked.....they were all over the place.

Anybody tried the Dogtown bulllets yet? How did they shoot? What other inexpensive 22 caliber bullets have you had good luck with? I hope they do well in my VLS......they're about $9/100
Old December 30, 2006, 08:33 PM   #2
mrawesome22

My Nosler 50gr Ballistic Tips came in a box inside a pouch of bubble wrap. If they are Nosler's I'll never buy them because the ballistic tips didn't shoot worth a damn for me. Plus I don't buy bullets online because after shipping and the $3 low order tack on fee, it's just a lot cheaper to buy bullets at the store. Anyway, hope they well for ya. Let us know what happens.
Old December 30, 2006, 09:06 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

Mr. Awesome 22,

As a fellow Buckeye, you are missing a bet. Pop up to Camp Perry during the Nationals. All the shooter supply outfits on Commercial Row discount bullets at least 10% and sometimes a lot more.

Nick
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old December 31, 2006, 12:17 AM   #4
Bogie

Whoop de do.

They didn't shoot in your rifle, in your circumstances, with your loads.

Loading for accuracy ain't rocket science. It's just a pain in the ass. And most people do it wrong. And I told the gentleman who taught me the easy/fast way that I wouldn't spread the news until his book came out.

Noslers are fine bullets, for what they're used for.

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!
Old December 31, 2006, 05:25 PM   #5
rrp

dog town bullets

I purchaced a box of 500 dogtown bullets a couple years ago from Midway when they ran a special and just recently started to load some. I've always bought rems, win, and hornadys for plinking ,at about the same cost as these were on sale. Wow, what a difference. I've never loaded a more accurate load for my 22-250 without spending twice the money. They have really turned out to be a pleasant surprise. I will be watching for them to run on Midway's flyers again. Of all the bullets I've bought in bulk the rem run the most inconsistant. Still fine for plinking but not nearly as nice when I shoot for a real score.
Old December 31, 2006, 06:53 PM   #6
paknheat

My dad loads the Dogtown bullets for his .223, and has been very happy with the consistancy they provide.
Old January 1, 2007, 05:49 PM   #7
firechicken

rrp & paknheat - Good to hear you've had good results with the Dogtown bullets. I've always had good luck with Nosler bullets, but I've never tried any of the 22 caliber Ballistic Tips mrawesome22 mentioned. I did get my VLS to the range and tried some Sierra 40gr HP, Hornady 55gr V-max, Winchester 55gr FMJBT, and Nosler 52gr HPBT Custom Competetion. I haven't had a chance to load any of the Dogtown bullets yet. The Noslers did the best, followed by the Sierras and the Hornadys. The Winchesters will not be fired from my VLS again (what a waste ). Kinda funny, the Winchesters do fine in my AR15, and I generally won't see an improvement at 100yds by going to a premium bullet in it.

As a side note, that 26" barrel on my VLS really bumps up the velocity over my 20" AR15. I got 3690 fps with the 40gr HP with absolutely no pressure signs!