The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 23, 2002, 11:22 AM   #1
Elkslayer

AR15 trigger questions

I have a American Spirit Arms AR15A2 which I have a few questions about.

The trigger has a pretty stiff pull. I have been reading posts on several sites stating this AR trigger being best and that trigger is better that the other one.

At this time I am leaning toward a trigger from Accuracy Speaks or perhaps a JP trigger. I'd like to hear from any of you who have tried various triggers especially since most of them run from $150 to $275 and getting 3 or 4 to test out is way pricey. Things I've heard is some wear out after about 1000 rounds, some require constant tweeking. However, the other day I tried a trigger on an Armalite NM and thought it was about the sweetest thing I've ever touched.
Old January 23, 2002, 11:54 AM   #2
Randy63

Hey Elkslayer,

I have a Colt H-Bar Match Target. The stock trigger on this gun was terrible. It had a lot of creep and felt as if someone had poured sand into the trigger mechanism. I shipped my lower to Mike Crisler at http://www.highpowerrifle.com/ last Wednesday to have a Jewell two stage trigger installed. I got my lower back on Saturday! The new trigger feels great although I haven't fired the rifle yet. The installation cost $200. There is a lot of good information on Mike's web site.

Randy
Old January 23, 2002, 04:00 PM   #3
Keith J

Depends on use...

The Jewell is a well made trigger but its a bear to set up. Compass Lake is a well made trigger but its best set up by an expert, meaning you ship the lower off and have them do it.

If price is the problem and doing w/o the rifle is a no-no, the JP with the speed hammer is a great setup. I do recommend their hammer if you want the light springs as the lock time suffers with a standard hammer. Use regular springs with a stock hammer.

The regular springs with the JP hammer makes a great single stage CMP legal 4.75 pound setup. As a great bene, the locktime is as short as practical.
Old January 23, 2002, 05:50 PM   #4
johnwill

I bought two of the Rock River Arms 2-stage triggers for a couple of my guns, and they're great! They also cost less than $100, which is also nice.
Old January 23, 2002, 08:37 PM   #5
sleeping dog

I got the Armalite 2-stage trigger for mine. It is almost identical in parts and operation to an M1 Garand trigger. Just smaller. Nice and smooth first stage (after some polishing) and a sharp second stage. About 4.6 lbs pull to fire.

Regards.
Old January 24, 2002, 05:00 PM   #6
MikeK

Second the Rock River. I put one in my Bushmaster and it made the trigger pull much better. Easy installation if you remember how everything fits together. Took me a few tries, but that was my own fault.
Old January 25, 2002, 11:52 AM   #7
Elkslayer

Thank you-all for the input on triggers.

I just ordered a kit which includes the speed hammer from JP.

The installation of the Jewell seemed more complicated than what I wanted to attempt plus I don't take advantage of a two-stage that much or at least I haven't felt that dependent on it with my Springfield M1A NM.