The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 19, 2015, 10:40 PM   #1
AzShooter

I'm impressed with S&W service.

After a number of phone calls and 4 e-mails I finally received my 929 today. Corporate sent the last two e-mails and said they would take care of me.

Opened the box and was I impressed. Double Action trigger pull is 8 lbs and very smooth. Single action is 3 lbs. I opened it up and all the parts looks to be polished. Even the main spring was bent. Forcing cone looks good and so does the crown.

I put and 11 lb rebound spring in it and got the stock trigger down to 6.5 lbs DA. Single action is now 2.5 lbs.

I mounted a Leupold 8X 2 power LER scope so I could test some loads tomorrow. After I'm satisfied with the right load for power factor and groups I'll start loading it for my regular shooting.

It pays to be consistent and call but the most important thing was to send the E-mail. They got right on the problem and made me a happy customer.

I'll post pics when I finished with the upgrades I intend to do ie, C-More instead of scope, Big Butts, Apex Hammer.
Old November 20, 2015, 04:58 PM   #2
RickB

I was less impressed.
I'd shot my revolver with the strain screw turned-out a quarter turn, but knowing that was a bandaid fix of a heavy DA trigger, I sent the gun to Smith for their Master Action Job.
When the gun returned the only discernible difference was the screw was turned all the way in, and the gun still wouldn't reliably crack most brands of primer.
It seemed to be marking the cylinder excessively (peck marks indicating the stop was rising long before the cylinder was properly aligned with it), so I sent it back again, and it appears that they treated it like a cosmetic issue, replacing the cylinder but doing nothing to reduce the marking.
Old November 20, 2015, 05:06 PM   #3
Jim Watson

One writer with no advertising pressure reported a S&W shop worker saying he could accomplish a then $75 trigger job in 15 minutes.
The flamboyant guy with the tv show, I forget his name, demonstrated that he could do his "custom action" on a revolver in 20 minutes. That and his name on the sideplate cost you a good deal extra when S&W made it a short run model variation.
Old November 20, 2015, 05:09 PM   #4
kcub

I'm underwhelmed with their locks.