The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 24, 2010, 03:18 PM   #1
elrodalonzo

Batavia Leader

I have recently aquired a Batavia Leader shotgun serial #17853F in I believe 16 gauge. On one side it says Baker Gun Co. Norwich, Conn and on the other Batavia Leader. I made a mistake and shot a couple of 20 ga. shells in it. I discovered afterward they were a little loose so I assume it's 16 gauge, they fit tight. I was just wondering if it would be safe to shoot 16's in it, nothing happened with the 20's. Any history on the gun would be appreciated also. Thanks ahead of time.
Old September 24, 2010, 09:49 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

The Bakers were quality guns. A good smith should be consulted and this gone over carefully.

Chances are, the chambers are for shells shorter than we use now, probably something like 2 9/16". If so, and if this passes inspection, Gamebore and Polywad carry low pressure short shells that will not strain the gun but will give you good service in the field.

Pics would be nice......