The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 22, 2010, 04:54 PM   #1
John L. Smith

Winchester 190

A lady friend of mine gave me a Winchester Model 190 22 semi. have torn apart and cleaned it, shoots good but it takes 2 men and a boy to pull the trigger. Pulls so hard that makes it really hard to hold on target. Want to get it ready for the grandsons. Is there a simple way to lighten the pull?
Old September 23, 2010, 03:04 PM   #2
Ifishsum

Probably not easy, my buddy has one and I have worked on it (for another problem). The trigger on his is the same way, it almost feels like it's on safe. Here's why I think it would be difficult - the hammer has plastic bushings on either side of it - as they wear it creates slop in the hammer where it is retained in the trigger group. For that reason I think it would be difficult to maintain a safe sear angle if one were to try and improve it. Parts also seem to be getting pretty scarce for these so I'd be hesitant about doing any significant filing or grinding anyway. If you do take the trigger group apart be careful not to lose or crack those plastic hammer bushings!

I really hated taking that gun apart - getting the bolt return spring back in place is always quite frustrating. I got better at it but the first time it took me almost an hour.

BTW the reason I was working on it was because it started getting a lot of light strikes and failures to fire. The barrel had backed out of the receiver enough to increase headspace to the point that the firing pin could barely reach a cartidge rim. I've seen posts on the net from other folks who had the same problem with the 190 so it might be prone to that. Take a look at where the barrel meets the receiver and see if there's a significant gap. If so, you might want to tighten the barrel ring before you hand it over. Post or PM for more info on that if you want.