The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 9, 2015, 07:50 AM   #1
RC5129

9mm - what should I look at?

I am looking to buy a full size 9mm for target shooting, and was at the local gun store looking yesterday. The guy I spoke to was pushing Glocks hard, specifically the Glock 34, which he didn't have in stink and says he can't get. So, what else should I look at?
Old May 9, 2015, 07:52 AM   #2
HenryTheNoodle

Very broad question. Have you shot a handgun before? I'd recommend you start at a range and shoot a dozen popular models so you can figure out what you want. My favorite may not be yours.
Old May 9, 2015, 08:45 AM   #3
MFitz

Well, you seem to have settled on caliber - which is a start - but there is a whole lot more you need to consider.

Do you want an all-metal framed or polymer framed gun? Metal framed guns tend to be heavier but (all things being equal which they never are) will tend to have more manageable recoil with less muzzle flip. Polymer framed guns (Glock, M&P, PPQ, etc) tend to be lighter and less expensive.

Do you want a single or double stack magazine?

What type of action do you prefer? Single action? Double Action only? Double/Single action? Striker fired?

Do you want a shorter or longer barrel?

What I would actually recommend is go to a local shooting range that rents firearms and pick out 3 or 4 (or more) of different types and configurations and try them out. Then buy what you liked best.
Old May 9, 2015, 08:51 AM   #4
rtpzwms

Quote:
full size 9mm for target shooting
I need to understand what type of target shooting? Bench rest bulls-eye? Tactical? And full size means different things as well. Typically a longer barrel 5" 6" will do better because of the sight radius. I do pistol target shooting at 200 yards with a t/c with a 14" barrel, scope and bi-pod. I consider this to be a full size pistol. With the advent of the AR pistols this is a game changer as well. There are a lot of 9mm options think uzi...

So if you can narrow the field some it would help us give you a better answer.

Glock would NOT be on my list as a target pistol. It is a great pistol just not what I would consider target grade.
Old May 9, 2015, 09:42 AM   #5
DaleA

There's *lots* of 9mm 'range' guns out there.

If you just want a couple of suggestions:

CZ-Colonel Jeff Cooper liked the 75 series..
http://cz-usa.com/product-category/h...tion-handguns/

If you think you might like a 1911 style handgun (although it's almost blasphemous to suggest the 1911 in any other caliber than .45 ACP) Springfield Armory offers its 'Range Officer' model in 9mm. You can look at both the '1911 Range Officer Model' and the '1911 Range Officer Champion Model' but I prefer the regular one to the 'Champion'. The Champion model is NOT a full sized 1911 and has combat sights instead of the really nice adjustable sights on the regular model.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/1911-series/
Old May 9, 2015, 10:12 AM   #6
Limnophile

Get a metal-framed gun. You're not going to carry it, and the extra weight will make it shoot a bit softer.

Get a single-action gun. A SA trigger is what you want for target shooting.

Look at the Colt 1911, Browning Hi-Power, CZ 75, or their clones. I think these are the three most cloned semiauto pistols in history. The 1911 and BHP are both SA-only guns, and the CZ is available in SA-only.

Last edited by Limnophile; May 12, 2015 at 09:17 AM.
Old May 9, 2015, 10:31 AM   #7
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Look at the Colt 1911, Browning Hi-Power, CZ 75, or their clones.
I would add a Beretta 92fs to the list
If you want to go with the Tupperware (polymer frame) guns also look at the Springfield Armory XD line.
Keep in mind that most likely the guy at the shop, recommending a gun he doesn't have in stock, and says he can't get is recommending his personal favorite. Not necessarily the best choice for you.
If you can find a range that rents guns the time, and cost involved would most likely be well worth it.
Maybe give us a price range you are thinking of.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old May 9, 2015, 10:47 AM   #8
DA/SA Fan

For a range gun used for target I would suggest a Tanfoglio Match Elite. Nice single action version of a CZ 75 clone. All steel and very accurate. Only caveat is in the event you MAY need service. There are a few good reports about EAA service but a lot of bad ones that I've read. I didn't let it influence my choice and went ahead and bought a full sized Witness steel 10mm. No problems for me. CZ has similar target guns but you will pay much more.
Old May 9, 2015, 10:48 AM   #9
tipoc

In 9mm you have a wide choice of some of the best firearms available today.

I assume that you are newer to shooting and that you are looking to improve your handgun shooting in general.

(You wouldn't have to ask the question if otherwise.)

Go to a gun show, store or range and examine a few. Pick them up and hold them. One that feels good in your hand is a good place to start.

Choose a major name brand. Beretta, CZ, Smith and Wesson, Glock, Sig, Colt, Kimber, Springfield. If you do this you won't go wrong. You will have others in the years to come.

I suggest the Sig P226 as a good place to start. It's used by the U.S. military and is well known internationally. Easy to shoot well and is a good gun to know.

The Beretta 92 is the standard service sidearm of the U.S. military and is a gun folks should know how to run.

If a Glock begin with the G19 which is an excellent all around size for learning on and is another gun folks should be able to handle.

Hope this helps.

tipoc
Old May 9, 2015, 11:10 AM   #10
rickyrick

Something DA/SA probably for target shooting.
Old May 9, 2015, 11:21 AM   #11
mrdaputer

Go to your local store and feel them up. Then go to a range that rents them and shoot the top 3 that you liked. The one that feels the best and shoots the best is the one you buy. I like the feel of a Walther PPQ it has arguably the best trigger out of the box with the shortest reset. Taking a class on safety and a couple of lessons is a good idea IMHO.
Old May 9, 2015, 12:19 PM   #12
Sevens

Mine will be the second vote here for the Tanfoglio Witness Elite Match. I have a handful of 9mm pistols and it runs circles around all of them and also distinguishes itself over my Springfield Loaded Stainless.

There are better 9mm pistols out there, but I would argue NOT at the price point of the Elite Match. They aren't these easiest pistols to find but you can bring one home (new) for around $700 these days. 4,500+ rounds through mine; it is amazing.
Old May 9, 2015, 12:45 PM   #13
sigarms228

There are lots and lots of fine choices. You really need to try and rent a bunch to see what you like.

A lot depends on your budget also. The Walther PPQ 5 inch barrel is really nice. I tried one recently but already have the M1 PPQ.
Old May 9, 2015, 04:00 PM   #14
rep1954

Sig 226. Now the only question is which Sig 226?
Old May 9, 2015, 04:58 PM   #15
Cosmodragoon

There is a lot of good advice here. Knowing more about your handgun experience certainly would help. In general, here are my two cents:

If this is primarily a range gun, go with steel. Yes, polymer guns are lighter and easier to carry. Yes, you should develop proficiency with whatever gun you normally carry. At the range, steel guns just tend to take the recoil better. That's not a matter of whether you or anyone else can handle recoil, but that recoil impedes both accuracy and fun.

Single action guns are fun because they give you consistent, light trigger pulls. Lighter trigger pulls contribute to greater accuracy and fun. SA/DA guns make the trigger pull on your first shot heavy/long as a matter of safety, then make all your follow-up shots single action. Most SA/DA guns can be manually cocked for single-action shooting so don't rule them out. Glocks and some other striker-fired guns aren't really SA but still give you consistently light trigger pulls. The only thing I'd avoid is DAO, or "double action only" guns where the trigger is designed to be safer (supposedly) for concealed carry. Of course, you'll definitely want to build familiarity with whatever type you have in your carry gun so it is nice to match them. Here is where SA/DA really shines. At least for me, it offers the best of both worlds and I've standardized all but one of my semi-automatics in SA/DA.
Old May 9, 2015, 06:10 PM   #16
Bongo Boy

You've been given recommendations that range in price, very roughly, by a factor of 2 to nearly 3. Is price a factor, and why did you select 9mm? Cost, capacity, availability, perception of recoil? I'm not trying to change your mind on that choice--just understand if it was for any particular reason that may also drive firearm choice.
Old May 9, 2015, 06:44 PM   #17
Doyle

It's hard to beat a 3rd gen S&W. They are generally too heavy to be good CC weapons but they are nice at the range. 2nd hand prices are usually good too.
Old May 9, 2015, 07:18 PM   #18
power5

P210. 92fs. Cz or clone. Hi power.
Old May 9, 2015, 08:12 PM   #19
bac1023

What's your price range?

That's the big question.
Old May 10, 2015, 04:32 AM   #20
Brotherbadger

There's a lot of questions that need to be answered before anybody can seriously suggest a gun(cost, mag capacity and striker fired , DA/SA, ect). What you really need to do is take a bunch out and see how they feel.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "
Old May 10, 2015, 04:44 AM   #21
jabba21

Skip all the "There are so many questions that need answering and factors to consider" posts and just go buy a Glock 17 or 19.
Old May 10, 2015, 05:34 AM   #22
Homerboy

Beretta 92FS. Can't go wrong.
Old May 10, 2015, 07:18 AM   #23
Brotherbadger

Quote:
Skip all the "There are so many questions that need answering and factors to consider" posts and just go buy a Glock 17 or 19.
I love my 19 as much as any other gun I own, but it doesn't fit his criteria.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "
Old May 10, 2015, 07:21 AM   #24
RC5129

Thanks everybody! I have been shooting for about a year. I have a gp100, @and I regularly shoot both that and my husband 22 semi auto. Because this is just for the range, I am looking for fun and accuracy, and therefore, thinking metal. I am also thinking double action, and don't have any limitations when it comes to magazine size. But I am open to other ideas.I have been to the LGS and handled several, but just want to be sure I am checking out as many of the good options as I can. I am intrigued by these mystical ranges that rent handguns. I had never heard of such a thing until I started hanging out on here. I called all the ranges within 50+ miles of here, and no one does. , so I am limited to shooting what I have access to. I have shot a Springfield, but it is a friend's edc, so it's much smaller than I'm looking for.

Budget - I don't know.. $600? $700? I can go up if I need to. I don't want to spend a fortune. On the other hand, I would rather spend enough to get what I want the first time. I have never been particularly good about setting a budget for something that I really want. I have a "fun money" account just for occasions like these.

Any other suggestions and/or advice is more than welcome.
Old May 10, 2015, 08:02 AM   #25
sigarms228

Wow no one rents handguns at the ranges around you? That is strange and sad.

Metal frame guns are great for the range (I love my SIG P226) but IMO don't rule out poly frame pistols either, especially in 9MM. Some of the newer poly frame pistols like the Walther PPQ (5 inch barrel version best for range) and HK VP9 have amazing grips and are customizable to your hand with included changeable backstraps and even changeable palm inserts like the HK VP9 and both are known for great accuracy and nice triggers out of the box.

Since you can't rent the pistols you want to try, when checking out various pistols look for those that fit your hand well and ask if you can dry fire them a couple times. In particular asses the reach you have to the trigger with a two handed grip like you are going to shoot it and if a hammer fired pistol be sure to check that reach in SA trigger mode with the hammer cocked back as that is what you will be shooting at the range. If you can barely reach the trigger you probably won't shoot it as well as you like.

Good luck.