The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 12, 2012, 07:35 PM   #1
marklyftogt

Thinking about getting into cowboy action shoooting.

What would be the best guns to look at for this? Pistol and rifle...
Old August 12, 2012, 07:52 PM   #2
Hawg

Uberti Cattleman or Ruger New Vaquero(you need two) Rossi 92 or Marlin 94 and whatever cheap SXS shotgun you can find. Best thing to do is go to a match and try some stuff out. Bring ammo, there will be plenty of folks all but begging you to try their guns.
Old August 12, 2012, 10:33 PM   #3
Fingers McGee

Quote:
Thinking about getting into cowboy action shoooting.
What would be the best guns to look at for this? Pistol and rifle...
That's a Ginger/Maryann question that has no correct answer that everyone will agree to.

Attend some matches near you and try everything you can. Colts, Rugers, & Remingtons do not feel, balance or shoot the same for everyone. Same thing holds true for Uberti (Winchester Replicas), Marlins & Rossi's.

My preference runs to 1851/1861 revolvers, '66 and '73 Ubertis and hammered doubles.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old August 13, 2012, 05:28 AM   #4
Doc Hoy

Guys....

I don't do CAS but in this case, might it be a good idea to review the requirements of the organization which will be the home club?

They may have some special rules, Right?

These could be checked when you carry out the previous recommendation to visit the local group.
Old August 13, 2012, 09:07 PM   #5
Hellgate

What Hawg said.

New Uberti Cattleman "Hombres" in .357 are being offered for $250 each on gunBroker.com

Used Marlins and Rossi '92s are pretty affordable compared to the 66s & '73s.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old August 13, 2012, 09:19 PM   #6
Crunchy Frog

You're getting good advice on this thread. Whenever a prospective new shooter asks me what guns they should buy before coming to a match my answer is always, "None. Don't buy revolvers, a rifle, or a shotgun. Come to the match and check out what people are using."

As an aside the $250 Hombres on Gunbroker are hard to to beat. The Hombres are all 4.75 inch barrels but that probably the top choice of tube length anyway. At one time it seemed like all they had was .45 Colt, then the .357s started showing up on Gunbroker and recently all I've seen on the site are the .357s. Of course a .38/.357 is a very popular chambering for cowboy.

If you have not already picked a local club, look for one here: http://www.sassnet.com/clubs/Clubs_l...ate=California Contact the match director and let him or her know you are interested. Some clubs hold new shooter clinics or practice sessions. Otherwise they can help you navigate a regular match.
Old August 14, 2012, 11:24 AM   #7
Noz

That's a Ginger/Maryann question that has no correct answer that everyone will agree to.

Attend some matches near you and try everything you can. Colts, Rugers, & Remingtons do not feel, balance or shoot the same for everyone. Same thing holds true for Uberti (Winchester Replicas), Marlins & Rossi's.

My preference runs to 1851/1861 revolvers, '66 and '73 Ubertis and hammered doubles.

Fingers McGee

I absolutely disagree!

1860 pistols, 1866 rifle and inside hammered double.

See! What he said-

Best bet? Go to a shoot. Try everything. We'll fight over who gets to loan you a gun.
Old August 14, 2012, 11:57 AM   #8
Fingers McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingers McGee

I absolutely disagree!

1860 pistols, 1866 rifle and inside hammered double.

See! What he said-

Best bet? Go to a shoot. Try everything. We'll fight over who gets to loan you a gun.
We're close
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce