The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

View Poll Results: Which of these 3, especially considering reliability, for carry?
Kahr PM9 (9mm) 67 51.54%
Springfield XD Subcompact (9mm or .40) 23 17.69%
Colt New Agent (.45) 40 30.77%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 7, 2011, 08:05 PM   #1
Elliottsdad

Slim Carry pistol.. help me choose from these 3

I'm looking for a small, slim pistol that I can carry year-round in Nebraska (extreme heat/humidity, extreme cold). Researched these 3 for countless hours, but haven't got a chance to shoot them (but have fondled a few at the gun store).
Any reccomendations/thoughts? I'm not super picky about caliber (as long as its .380 or above), so I'm not focusing too much on that.
Old September 7, 2011, 09:20 PM   #2
10-96

Unless I'm wrong, that XD really isn't all that slim. I voted for the Colt based on what you listed.

If I could add one to your list, it would be the Sig 239. It's plenty slim and easy handling.

Whether you go slim or not is really a deal buster/heartbreaker/whatever if you don't put it in a quality holster. Don't be affraid to spend a little $$ on a good holster, becasue the cheap ones tend to either be one-size fits most, cater to the tacticool crowd, or just plain designed to be produced very cheaply and inexpensively. A good one will keep about anything you want tight and snug against your body.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old September 7, 2011, 09:23 PM   #3
Shadi Khalil

If slim is what your looking for then the any of the Kahr line or the Walther PPS will suit you fine..
Old September 7, 2011, 10:01 PM   #4
bossman

With what you list for sure the 45 Colt New Agent would be my choice. To me it's far and away the top gun.

When the going gets tough, I just open another beer.
Old September 7, 2011, 10:35 PM   #5
C0untZer0

PM9 is winning...

Yay !
Old September 7, 2011, 10:41 PM   #6
Don Glock

of those three, colt new agent.
Old September 7, 2011, 10:47 PM   #7
phatspeed7x

Kel Tec PF9. Save money.
Old September 7, 2011, 10:55 PM   #8
Bernie Lomax

Quote:
Kel Tec PF9. Save money.
The Ruger LC9 would give him a lot more quality for only a little more money.
Old September 8, 2011, 12:00 AM   #9
tahunua001

of the three, kahr is very fragile, has terrible customer service and turns out more lemons than good guns.

the colt is a very nice gun but a metal on metal gun has more of a chance of freeze locking in extreme cold.

the XDs get a bad rap but they are good little guns, they are accurate, comfortable(subjective), and reliable at any naturally occurring weather temp. some of them have issues with rust if you sweat on them all day long, all of the guys I've seen with this problem this pack IWB in the flat of their back to that's naturally going to saturate any gun in sweat. there are a few companies sell a silicone spray that gives your gun an extra level of protection against rust. and ive never heard of the XDMs having this problem but they only come in compact(no subs).
Old September 8, 2011, 12:16 AM   #10
S_Constitutionist

Quote:
The Ruger LC9 would give him a lot more quality for only a little more money.
According to whom?

Higher MSRP =/= better quality, as many of us (including myself) have learned before.

I have owned both an LC9 and a PF9 and while the LC9 was prettier, the PF9 exhibited zero issues over 700 rounds while the LC9 had numerous FTE issues (note that I performed a fluff and buff on the PF9. The PF9 also has a better trigger and far fewer lawyer components (manual safety, LCI, etc). FWIW, I sold my LC9 and the PF9 has taken over EDC during the summer

From your list, PM9 all the way... but I'd also look at some of the new entrants in the "pocket" pistols. The Kahr CM9 is on my soon to buy list...

Quote:
of the three, kahr is very fragile, has terrible customer service and turns out more lemons than good guns.
Hooey.
Old September 8, 2011, 01:59 AM   #11
JustThisGuy

Walther PPS. Absolutely the best pistol in the group. Just about a perfect trigger.

Mediocrity dominates over excellence in all things... except excellence.
Old September 8, 2011, 02:04 AM   #12
AustinTX

Quote:
Walther PPS. Absolutely the best pistol in the group. Just about a perfect trigger.
Yep. Best of breed, hands down.

Last edited by AustinTX; September 8, 2011 at 08:14 PM. Reason: typo
Old September 8, 2011, 08:51 AM   #13
Stressfire

Went with the Colt if the 3 listed are the choices, but none are terribly slim if that's what your looking at.
Old September 8, 2011, 08:58 AM   #14
RetiredMajor

"of the three, kahr is very fragile, has terrible customer service and turns out more lemons than good guns."

That's a load of hooey! I've owned two Kahr's for a number of years now. Thousands of rounds down range with zero problems. They are small, thin, ultra reliable and very accurate. My PM9 is my EDC.

I also own an XD Subcompact 9 mm. Nice gun, very reliable and tough. But not thin with it's double stack magazine.

Can't speak to the Colt - I don't own one.

Best of luck,
Major
Old September 8, 2011, 09:02 AM   #15
MikeGunz

Yeah my buddy has the xd9 sub compact. It is certainly not the smallest ccw weapon out there. but a good gun for sure. Ive heard nothing but good about the kahrs never held one but seen them at the gun shop and theyre tiny. Also have you looked at the ruger Lc9?
Old September 8, 2011, 09:04 AM   #16
cavediver27

Walther PPS 9mm

Walther PPS You can't do better than that for a thin, reliable, accurate and well made cary pistol.
Old September 8, 2011, 09:08 AM   #17
threegun

My PM9 has worked its way into my Koolaid soaked self defense rotation. Easy to carry even with little clothing. Reliable so far with several hundred down range, half being hollowpoints. I'm not going to replace my Glocks but its a great companion so far.
Old September 8, 2011, 09:10 AM   #18
MJ45

Can't help you here, I'd choose a Glock 36. thin, 45acp, rugged.
Old September 8, 2011, 09:22 AM   #19
ken2925

I have the Kahr CW9 and the SA XD compact 9mm. The Kahr has never given me any problems, and the SA compact 9mm did not after I fired several boxes of ammo thru it. If size is important I would go with the Kahr. If you want more rounds then the XD is choice. That said, I carry the Kahr more than the XD. Hope this helps, KC.
Old September 8, 2011, 09:30 AM   #20
tahunua001

Quote:
"of the three, kahr is very fragile, has terrible customer service and turns out more lemons than good guns."

That's a load of hooey! I've owned two Kahr's for a number of years now. Thousands of rounds down range with zero problems. They are small, thin, ultra reliable and very accurate. My PM9 is my EDC.
I'm not going to argue. I'm just going to give a short first hand account.
I bought a CW40 a while back for a concealed carry gun and took it out every other weekend to get it broken in. it had about a FTF or FTE about once every box for the first 200 rounds and then it smoothed out. however between 3 seasoned shooters niether myself, my brother or my brother in law could hit a torso at 15 yards. I thought it might just be issues with us but then after about 400 rounds the slide locked back after every single shot. I called kahr and the rep told me that they recommend sending it in for servicing every 250 rounds or so...I dont know about you but that's a terrible gun, I sold it and immediately got a sp101 instead, failure free and a tackdriver since the day I bought it.

if you build a gun that needs to be broken in and never fired again then you can shove it where the sun dont shine.
Old September 8, 2011, 09:34 AM   #21
hulley

The line about the Kahrs being fragile cracks me up. My Kahr CW9 is a great pistol, very accurate and 100% reliable plus has a great smooth trigger. I wouldnt hesitate to buy another.
Old September 8, 2011, 09:37 AM   #22
hulley

I'm on kahrtalk.com a little bit, especially when I was looking to buy and after I had bought. I've never heard anyone say anything even remotely close to "servicing every 250rds". Honestly I never would have bought it either if that was the case. My next carry will be a M&P 9c, but I wouldnt sell the Kahr to get it.
Old September 8, 2011, 09:41 AM   #23
threegun

My PM9 is as accurate as I am. At 10yards if I pull the smooth trigger properly its in the bullseye. Not bad for such a small gun.
Old September 8, 2011, 09:45 AM   #24
Silent Bob

The XD SubCompact is not a slim choice and is to me at least incredibly thick blocky in the hand.

I have not shot one but I would consider the Ruger LC9 as an option. It would seem to fit what you are looking for.
Old September 8, 2011, 09:46 AM   #25
graysmoke

The Bersa Thunder .380 Pistol.

Slim
Compact
Lightweight
Accurate
Dependable
Quality Made
AFFORDABLE

What else can you ask for?
But from those three names.....Springfield 9mm