The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 9, 2005, 04:28 PM   #1
kwkoch

Elkhorn 209 magnum???

i have been muzzleloading for the past 10 years with a T/C renegade in .54 caliber. i am wanting to add another muzzleloader to the safe. i came across the Elkhorn 209 by CVA which is new for this year. does anyone know anything about this particular muzzleloader?
thanks.
http://www.cva.com/products/rifle_elk.htm
Old June 27, 2009, 01:02 PM   #2
musketman

cva elkhorn pro magnum

kwkoch,

I know that you originally posted quite a while ago, and was wondering if you ended up getting a cva elkhorn? I own a 2007 elkhorn magnum and I really like it! It is very accurate with the right load that took me awhile to find. I chose the elkhorn because in ID and WA state you can only hunt in muzzleloader only season with open ignition #11 or musket cap. The elkhorn fits this requirement and I really like the way it feels and handles. I also have hunted with a TC 54 cal hawken for close to 30 years, but got interested recently in the inline rifles. This fall will be the first season that I'll hunt with the elkhorn and I am looking forward to it. Please let me know if you purchased an elkhorn and how you like it.
Old July 8, 2011, 02:23 PM   #3
mlchris2

looking at a 2011 model of this rifle. Wondering if I can get an update how you like it? Pro's, Con's, how it shoots, accuracy, etc.
Old July 8, 2011, 09:47 PM   #4
arcticap

Neither of the posters indicated that they bought an Elkhorn.
However Basspro has 10 user reviews for this model who rated it an average of 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Apparently it's a very accurate rifle with the capability to eject spent primers.
Besides some parts issues, most everyone seems to like the performance of their Elkhorn rifles very much.
Reading all of the reviews should answer your questions.

http://www.basspro.com/CVA®-Elkhorn™...64181/-1155789