The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 21, 2007, 11:03 AM   #1
mtnbkr

30-30Whisper?

I have a 14" Contender in 30-30. I'd like to work up a load that duplicates the 300 Whisper with heavy bullets (220+grains at 1000fps). Any powder and charge suggestions? This would be for range use only, not hunting.

I think the barrel has a 1 in 10 twist, which is the same twist rate as the Contender 300 Whisper barrel. I should be able to stabilize the same weight bullets, right?

Chris
Old July 21, 2007, 12:00 PM   #2
Travis Two

The 30-30 has too much case capacity to duplicate the 30 whisper loads directly. I think you will find that its doable with reduced powder charges and heavy (220-240 gr. bullets) and a case filler to keep the loads subsonic. The bullets are not really stable at long distance rather they are lobbed on to the target and the damage they cause by tumbling into the target is very effective. Of course the concept was that this was used in full auto and you saturated an area with a burst of falling projectiles at long distances. There are also loadings with higher velocities and lighter bullets but you can easily achieve that with the 30-30 case. This should prove interesting as an exercise in advanced handloading.