The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 26, 2010, 11:53 AM   #1
catken

1858 Remington

I am in the process of purchasing a 1858 Remington. I have a few questions.1)Should I buy a table loading devise.One that holds the gun or one where you remove the cylinder. Should I buy a second cylinder.One that shoots black powder or one that shoots cartridges. Ken
Old April 26, 2010, 01:01 PM   #2
azsixgun

If you're just starting in black powder revolvers, buy or make a stand. Without a stand, you need about four hands. While you'll be able to do it with two, you'll have a much easier time with a stand. Second, it's safer with a stand because you don't have to worry about pointing the gun all over while trying to load.

If you're thinking of a cartridge conversion, you may want to give additional consideration to a forged frame Uberti. Personally, I'm not excited about the cartridge conversion cylinders; I've got dedicated guns that shoot cartridge only. Ultimately, that decision will have to rest with you.

Second cylinder? That would be nice, but if you get that, then a separate cylinder loading press would be pretty slick.
Old April 26, 2010, 01:14 PM   #3
ClemBert

Welcome to the forum catken!

If you are new to the world of cap-n-ball black powder revolvers I would focus on getting the bare essentials first. I'd get a BP Revolver Stand for your 1858 Remington. I don't think a cylinder loading press is necessary. I don't use one but some folks like them. Unless you have money to burn right now I wouldn't worry so much about getting a second cylinder. It might be nice to have as a spare but just not necessary. Same goes for a conversion cylinder.
Old April 26, 2010, 01:36 PM   #4
zippy13

Many Remingtons are cut tight and accept only balls under the ram. Should you wish to load conical bullets, instead of balls, then you'll need a table loader with a cylinder ram. Of course, you could alter the gun for more clearance.

Old April 26, 2010, 01:40 PM   #5
Doc Hoy

Ken

PM sent.
Old April 26, 2010, 02:39 PM   #6
arcticap

I bought a Remington that came with a 2nd cylinder and I didn't shoot it until I purchased a cylinder loading press.
If I had to do it again I would do it the same way.
Old April 26, 2010, 03:13 PM   #7
Doc Hoy

Ken

I am with Cap on this one. I was a died-in-the-wool lever man but since I started with a press I think I like it better. Do your homework and buy a good one.
Old April 26, 2010, 04:07 PM   #8
Hawg

A stand might be nice and convenient but isn't necessary. I never saw the need for one. If you're new to bp concentrate on getting everything together that you need before investing in stands and extra cylinders.
Old April 26, 2010, 10:01 PM   #9
andrewstorm

loadin stand

thats why the rebels lost the civil war,it was all those loadin stands they had to build,or they couldnt load guns? horse hocky,go to buffalo arms they got what u need, or muzzeloading emporium,
Old April 26, 2010, 11:00 PM   #10
ClemBert

True that a loading stand isn't necessary but $14 usually isn't gonna bankrupt most folks. It is mighty convenient though and it makes loading faster than without it. The process I follow is to load powder in the first chamber then put a lubricated felt wad on top of it. Then I do chamber two the same way. I do this until all six chambers have powder and a lubricated wad. There isn't any chance for the powder to spill out once the wad is in place. Then I do all the balls. I take the revolver out of the stand when seating the balls. Again, you can turn the revolver in any direction and the powder won't fall out.

Old April 27, 2010, 12:10 AM   #11
CajunPowder

Why I want a Remmie, (black powder)

I consider these pieces to be both historical fun things, and I consider them to be survival types of weapons.

You could defeat "The Gorn" with them if it came to it! (STAR TREK!)

I plan on learning to load my Remmie with only what is possible, on foot, while walking. I might even have a go at loading while jogging as I like to run.

I of course will have to try loading while riding a bike as I love to ride bikes as well.
Old April 27, 2010, 02:27 AM   #12
sebou

Hi
I ve bought an Uberti replica of New Army model of 1858 Remington in 2005.
It's a very nice revolver. I ve 2 cylinders to used as the movie "pale rider", both are percussion, not cartridge.
Here, a vid to explain how i load it. Have a fun !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM4PEqUiBfc
Old April 27, 2010, 08:45 PM   #13
byronw999

If yer going to buy a seperate benchtop loader dont waste yer money on the piece of junk Dixie sells... Spend a few extra $$ and get the one from Powder Inc or any other quality loader
Old April 28, 2010, 08:42 AM   #14
catken

1858 Remington

First of all I would like to thank everyone for their replies. Being new to black powder and guns in general,I found all the replies very informing. I have a couple more questions. 1) Can I assume that if I purchase a second cylinder with my order of a Uberti 1858 Remington that the cap & ball cylinder will be a good fit. 2) I plan on using the gun for western reinactment. What would be a excellent holster to purchase. Thanks Ken
Old April 28, 2010, 10:12 AM   #15
Hawg

I have swapped cylinders between three Pietta's and they fit perfectly so I assume Uberti would be the same. However I have heard that cartridge cylinders often need to be timed which throws the original c&b cylinder out of time. When it comes to leather you pretty much get what you pay for. If you're just going to use it now and then something like Oklahoma Leather from Cabela's will do ok but for real use get the best you can afford. Don't mess with chrome tanned for heavy use.