The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 20, 2013, 12:39 PM   #1
MLeake

Newsmax article on Joe Salazar comments in Colorado

The guy has apologized, after taking massive political fire, but WOW what an idiot...

http://www.newsmax.com/TheWire/women...o_code=1280A-1

Trying to support his position that guns don't make students on college campuses safer, this clown posited that there would be shootings left and right from nervous women who unjustifiably feared men would rape them. He then posited that the safest thing for them to do would be not to carry, but to run for the nearest campus police call box if they thought they were about to be attacked.

And this guy's background is, he's a civil rights litigator...

How do these people get elected?

How can antis buy this crap?
Old February 20, 2013, 12:58 PM   #2
TDodge7

He didn't apologize for what he said, at no point did he take it back, he's just sorry that what he believes offended people, typical politician BS.
Old February 20, 2013, 01:36 PM   #3
carguychris

Well, it's a different angle than the usual asinine argument that male college students are drunken sex-crazed hoodlums who would be shooting each other over frat house disputes and lacrosse rivalries.

...but come on. He's concerned that young female students will be shooting men all over campus? Has this guy watched the movie Malibu High* one too many times?

*Kudos to anyone who understands my admittedly obscure trashy drive-in cinema reference.
Old February 20, 2013, 01:41 PM   #4
JimDandy

You've got to give credit where it's due.. by stereotyping BOTH genders in ONE comment deserves some credit... men and sex crazed knuckle draggin rapists, and women are just a handgun away from going Dirty Harriet on them.

Last edited by Tom Servo; February 20, 2013 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Let's dial it down a bit
Old February 20, 2013, 02:53 PM   #5
carguychris

Quote:
...stereotyping BOTH genders in ONE comment deserves some credit... men and sex crazed knuckle draggin rapists, and women are just a handgun away from going Dirty Harriet on them.
You know, now that I think about it, it's too bad that the seedy parts of Hollywood don't make trashy drive-in exploitation movies like they used to... there's a great plot for one in there somewhere.
Old February 20, 2013, 03:25 PM   #6
JimDandy

Give Quentin Tarrantino a call and a month.
Old February 20, 2013, 06:54 PM   #7
Dr Big Bird PhD

Any man, woman, or child that projects an inherent recklessness or chaotic lack of self-discipline onto the common man, does not feel that they themselves can handle such situations. Many of those who distrust the common man distrust themselves.

A true propagator of liberty and equality would believe that those who are too unruly are not common men needed to be controlled, but the outliers that need to be dealt with individually.
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor