The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 23, 2016, 11:55 PM   #1
Mike38

Bi metal ammo, indoor range.

I got to see first hand and in person why indoor ranges do not allow bi metal (steel) bullets. I was at the indoor range I go to every Saturday morning. They actually have two ranges, a 15 yard pistol only paper target only range on one side of the lobby, and a 25 yard pistol or rifle range with a few steel targets on the other side. The pistol only range was being used for training purposes, so I was asked to use the rifle range. I was all by myself, so no problems. After about 15 minutes a man and a woman came in carrying rifle cases, and uncased a pair of AR15 rifles. They started blasting at steel, and it took me a few minutes to adjust to the noise but I adapted. They ran out of Winchester white box .223 so they pulled out a couple boxes of Wolf steel cased bi metal ammo. I put my pistol down to watch the show. It looked like the 4th of July down range with all the sparks flying. Every now and then when a steel target got hit just right, sparks sprayed out, and at least half way back to the firing line. If there would have been a build up of unburnt powder on the floor, things could have gotten real interesting. But this is a very clean range, must get swept daily, so no excitement for me. I waited for the rifle shooters to run out of ammo and leave before I started shooting my pistols again. One good thing about it, they left 100 pieces of once fired .223 on the floor, so I picked them up to compensate for my troubles.
Old January 24, 2016, 12:12 AM   #2
Mosin-Marauder

Steel Targets and 25 yards alone is asking for trouble, Especially with rifle rounds, but that's just my opinion.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old January 24, 2016, 12:38 AM   #3
Mike38

They claim no one has ever been hit with a ricochet / back splash, but I would think it's only a matter of time. About a month ago I shot my Saiga 223 in that range, but not at the steel targets, paper only, into the safe backstop.
Old January 27, 2016, 02:45 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

"...They claim no one has ever been hit with a..." Um, they're speaking a falsehood. Been hit myself by bullets bouncing from a lot farther away than 25 yards. However, not allowing steel cored or jacketed(all steel they ain't) is more about not pock marking the back stop.
Old January 27, 2016, 06:03 PM   #5
cjwils

At the indoor ranges where I shoot, these things are strictly banned. When you enter, they check your ammo with a magnet if there is any question about what you have.