The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 19, 2013, 09:53 AM   #1
jabraun98

Looking To Build AR 15

I'm looking to just build the lower and buy a complete upper... Any reccomedations on a quality lower receiver and a lower parts kit? Im looking to keep it under $400
Thanks
Old March 19, 2013, 12:49 PM   #2
Gunnutfn49

I have three DSArms uppers. they are entry level pricing, yet I have not had any FTF's or FTE's (qualifier, between the three uppers I have fired approximately 3k rounds total with various types of ammo [tulammo and the federal valupack from walmart at about a 3:1 ratio] and find the uppers and assembled bolt carriers to be great entry level uppers).

I would recommend cleaning after every shooting outing, though.

They also produce a large amount of FN FAL materials and those too I highly recommend.

...What he meant to add was, "unless, of course, all responsible citizens are armed to the teeth."
Old March 19, 2013, 03:33 PM   #3
Fishbed77

Look no further than Palmetto State Armory. They actually have most of what you need in stock, and their prices have not suffered too much as a result of the madness.
Old March 19, 2013, 05:22 PM   #4
Skans

I just did a build with SI Defense billet upper/lower receiver set - I'm pleased with the way it turned out; but I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet...that's the real test.
Old March 20, 2013, 10:54 AM   #5
Metal god

PSA : The lowers have been in stock for $120 but they sell out fast . You need to check every day .

Stripped lower $120
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...r15-lower.html

Complete MOE lower build kit $180
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...build-kit.html

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; March 20, 2013 at 11:02 AM.
Old March 20, 2013, 07:40 PM   #6
lagavulin62

well that lower is already sold out. I will keep checking. but thanks for the link.
Old March 21, 2013, 03:40 AM   #7
Justice06RR

+1 on the PSA stripped lower.

you can also go with a Core15 lower parts kit for $75, then buy a UTG stock kit for around $60.

Tough part right now is catching them in stock. Good luck on your build.

p.s. If you wanted to just go with a complete AR15, Smith and Wesson's M&P15 Sport are selling for $839. I went ahead and bought one for that price because I'm tired of trying to wait for parts to be in stock for a build, and at least with the M&P15 you are buying a good AR from a reputable manufacturer.
Old March 21, 2013, 06:06 AM   #8
lagavulin62

Justice,

I am doing the same as you. I just purchased an M&P Sport and waiting for it to arrive at my FFL. I still am going to do the build even if it takes me forever, I just don't want to spend money on anything until I at least get a decent lower. I don't plan on building the upper, will just buy one complete. Pretty addictive this hobby.
Old March 21, 2013, 01:03 PM   #9
Mobuck

Assembling a few loose parts and pushing two pins is NOT "building".
Old March 21, 2013, 01:33 PM   #10
Metal god

Quote:
IMHO the upper is not much different then the lower . Couple pins , couple springs tighten the nut correctly . The only real difference I found was you need a few more special tools to make it easier .

What is building an AR to you ? I'm assuming you mean machining the parts your self . Short of making all the parts your self , your just assembling the gun .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old March 21, 2013, 02:26 PM   #11
Quentin2

I agree that PSA is a great source of parts. I used their LBK to "build up" my stripped billet lower plus have their stock kit on another lower and their 16" midlength upper. Great quality, great prices and milspec. They can be slow but that's a problem most places lately.

To me an AR build is much like a PC build. You do your research, educate yourself then select the parts best for your build then assemble and configure. If you do your homework you'll end up with a custom build much better than something off the rack at your LGS.
Old March 21, 2013, 04:17 PM   #12
Skans

Quote:
Ehhh, that's what its commonly called. You are "building" it because you have to give considerable thought as to what you want the AR to be like when you are finished. It's not like ordering an AR15 kit from China that comes in a box with labeled parts and step-by-step assembly instructions printed in 27 languages.

When someone builds a house, do they also form their own concrete blocks, mine their own limestone for cement, and forge their own nails? I would say that if you are milling your own receivers, or even finishing an 80% receiver, then you stepped into the realm of fabricating.

Last edited by Skans; March 21, 2013 at 04:22 PM.
Old March 21, 2013, 04:31 PM   #13
Gunnutfn49

Ehhh, that's what its commonly called. You are "building" it because you have to give considerable thought as to what you want the AR to be like when you are finished. It's not like ordering an AR15 kit from China that comes in a box with labeled parts and step-by-step assembly instructions printed in 27 languages.

When someone builds a house, do they also form their own concrete blocks, mine their own limestone for cement, and forge their own nails? I would say that if you are milling your own receivers, or even finishing an 80% receiver, then you stepped into the realm of fabricating.

+1

...What he meant to add was, "unless, of course, all responsible citizens are armed to the teeth."
Old March 21, 2013, 08:55 PM   #14
lagavulin62

Ha! We may have to take up milling if things don't become available before the Gun Grabbers catch up. in the meantime it sure wouldn't hurt to pick up the proper tools. What would I need specifically for the lower and the upper if I assemble that too? Thanks in advance and my apologies to the OP for the deviation of the thread, but I think it's all related.
Old March 22, 2013, 07:23 AM   #15
Skans

To assemble an AR, you will need a punch set; an armorer's tool, allen wrenches, maybe a screw driver. An upper receiver block (for clamping the upper receiver when installing the barrel) and a vice would be nice, but I wouldn't say absolutely necessary. Note, however, without them you run the risk of messing up your upper receiver when torquing the barrel nut.

I'm a minimalist - these are the tools I had to assemble a stripped upper, stripped lower, gas block, buffer tube, stock, etc.

Oh, I found that a micrometer was helpful for determining some of the dimensions of my barrel, since I was using an older AR15 government profile barrel. I also had to use a dremel (is this a naughty word?) to modify the feed ramps on the barrel extension to give it an M4 profile. I had to do this since my upper had the M4 notches in it.
Old March 22, 2013, 08:23 AM   #16
bcarver

to begin

Assembleing is closer to the proper term.
For you first time. Buy a lower and a rifle kit.
Don't mess with the upper until later.
Old March 22, 2013, 09:23 AM   #17
CTS

Quote:
For you first time. Buy a lower and a rifle kit.
Don't mess with the upper until later.
Why do you say that? If you know how to use a torque wrench, assembling an upper is a lot easier than assembling a lower with all those little springs and detents and such.
Old March 23, 2013, 01:35 PM   #18
lagavulin62

I am looking at Aero Precision lowers. They sell them for 200. I also see Del-Tons for 175. Do you think these prices are ok or should I wait a little longer? Both are very nice looking lowers and with the Aero it doesn't seem to hard to acquire a stripped upper to fit it. What do you guys think?

Just out of curiosity(and yes a newbie ? but found nothing in research) why does Del-Ton not finish that small area in the middle of their lower. I know it's aluminum so no biggie but why would they leave it bare?
Old March 23, 2013, 04:44 PM   #19
Metal god

Not sure what your talking about with Del-Ton and not finishing the lower complete .I have one and it looks like all others on the market . Can you give a link so we can see what your talking about . As for quality of DT , They seem just as good as most . I have zero issues with my lower and 2 complete rifle kits . I have never used or even handled Aero parts so I have nothing for you on those . The prices on both are high . I just paid $160 for a lower and thought it was a little much .

Old March 23, 2013, 05:01 PM   #20
lagavulin62

not sure how to post links so you may have to copy and paste. if you enlarge the photo you will see the bare spot in the middle. I have checked other sites and they have this too. seems weird.

http://fatboytactical.net/cart/index...artsfinder.com
Old March 23, 2013, 05:18 PM   #21
Metal god

I see it and it even looks like that on there web site . Mine does not look like that and is completely finished . I would think they are finished complete and it's a bad picture . I'll post a pic of mine as soon as my computer stops acting up

Old March 23, 2013, 05:34 PM   #22
Metal god

Here is a pic of mine and if you compare the two . You can see the stamp is different now . I bought this last year . I'm thinking there pic is very old . and does not represent the product now.

Old March 24, 2013, 09:32 AM   #23
lagavulin62

The bare spot is probably nothing but I may call anyway. I had read someplace that when changing out parts on a complete AR it wasnt' unusual to find bare metal hidden behind some part of the receiver. When I saw that I wondered if that was what they were talking about and was hoping maybe someone could chime in. I am going to give it a few more weeks and see what happens. My fully assembled/built M&P Sport is due at my FFL Thursday and I have Friday off. I suspect I will really want to start my project soon.

On a related note, even for a newbie AR guy I can't believe all the polymer lowers being offered online. I'm guessing you had many speculators who bought these when they first came out and see the current situation as their only hope to unload them? On Tx Guntrader you would laugh at what they are trying to sell off on I suspect newbies who have not done even the most basic of research. I realize many 22's use a polymer lower but I wouldn't even build a 22 with one. Then again I don't even own a Glock so maybe that doesn't mean much?