The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Closed Thread

Old January 10, 2008, 06:45 PM   #1
ChuckS1

Stonewall Bullets

Found a great deal and want to pass it on to you guys who shoot cast bullets. With the high prices of lead these days, this is too good a deal to pass up. I just ordered 1000 9mm 125grain bullets for $30 and 1000 215 grain .45 RNF for $40. Current price list is at the link below.

http://www.marlinowners.com/board/vi...f80c27047edf75

BTW, I have no connection with Stonewall Bullets, other than being a very satisfied customer.
Old January 10, 2008, 09:01 PM   #2
Mr.RevolverGuy

Let us know how this works out for you. Thinks like how long it takes quality of bullets etc.
Old January 10, 2008, 09:27 PM   #3
CrustyFN

Here are a few more opinions. http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=181767
Rusty
Old January 11, 2008, 03:20 PM   #4
jhansman

Just dropped a check in the mail for 500 of his .452" 200gr. SWC. I'll post back here once I've loaded and shot 'em. At those prices, if these are good (and I understand they are) and word really gets out, he won't be able to fill his orders.
Old January 13, 2008, 09:26 AM   #5
ShootingNut

Get Them While You Can

At those prices, how long can he be in business?
Man, I thought my supplier (Mastercastbullets) was the best price in town.
Will check it out, curious as to their BNH rating hardness.
Old January 14, 2008, 01:24 PM   #6
Travis Two

The lead is worth more on the market place than what he is charging.
When he goes to replace it it will cost him a lot more. The 5% type added to the wheelweights is not a very hard mix and I suspect that there will be wide variations in the weight among the cast bullets as he says he cast them at the fastest speed possible without smearing the lead. They will probably be alright for plinkers but far from the quality needed for serious work.

Last edited by Travis Two; January 16, 2008 at 09:47 AM.
Old January 14, 2008, 03:56 PM   #7
ShootingNut

Travis

I would agree with you. Talked to Mike at Mastercast recently, he said lead prices were stable, but his alloys had jumped 75%. Therefore his 11% price hike.
Used to load softer lead bullets, but man the cleanup was no fun.
Regards,
SN
Old January 16, 2008, 10:03 PM   #8
Tuckerp229

I just purchased 5000 rounds. I'll pass along my finding upon receipt and trial.
Old January 17, 2008, 02:06 AM   #9
MASTERCAST.COM

Pay For Cheap Crap, Get Cheap Crap

I notice no reply on the quality of stonewall bullets.

That speaks volumes.

Mike
Old January 17, 2008, 04:13 PM   #10
nobody_special

Gee, a commercial vendor bad-mouthing someone else's product...

And you're wrong, too... see CrustyFN's link.
Old January 17, 2008, 11:04 PM   #11
jhansman

Quote:
I notice no reply on the quality of stonewall bullets.
I just got an order from Robert today, and will load them up and shoot 'em this weekend. Check back if you really want to know what I think.

BTW, have you bought or shot them? I must assume so, otherwise how could you possibly know they are 'crap'? Oh, wait....

BTW, my bookmark to your site juuuuuust got deleted.
Old January 18, 2008, 03:45 AM   #12
MASTERCAST.COM

Pay for Cheap Crap, Get Cheap Crap

nobody-special: I suppose I missed that glowing report from CrustyFn's Link.
A commercial caster bad-mouthing someone else's product? I thought this forum needed that kind of information and as a new member I felt compelled to offer it. I do not recall asking anyone to buy my products.

jhansman: I got some "Stonewall" bullets from a very dissatisifed customer, loaded and shot them. They are ok for VERY short range, lead the barrel of the firearm, are wrinkled(cast way too cold), the weight variation is extreme, the .38 SWC bullets that I shot had rounded cutting shoulders instead of sharp, the bullets had "bumpy butts"(the mold was opened way too soon) instead of a flat, smooth base(critical to accuracy), etc., etc.. Accuracy was DISMAL at best, nowhere near up to par for those that can shoot well, and as I said earlier, they are CRAP. AT LEAST THEY ARE CHEAP if that is all that matters to you. They are OK for making noise and blowing holes in the air. You deleted your bookmark to my site? Well...Hmmmm....sorry I lost you for telling the truth as I know it and contributing to this forum.

It is now obvious that as a commercial caster, I dare not offer or contribute any information to this forum in an attempt to prevent someone from wasting their money. I will not make that mistake again for fear that my comments will be misconstrued as an attempt to divert business to MASTERCAST.

By all means, boys and girls, buy from "Stonewall"...enjoy his products to the fullest extent possible!
Old January 18, 2008, 08:30 AM   #13
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Mike, welcome to theFiringLine.

I for one value your experience and input. That said...

nobody_special and jhansman, instead of running off at the mouth and/or running off new folks to our board, perhaps you can save your venom for those that really need it? Hmmm?

You gave your opinions of stonwall bullets, and dissed Mike before he posted his experience with them. How curteous is that?

For what its worth, a friend bought some stonewalls in .44 (245g RNFP). We loaded up some and they shot all over the place. And yes, they leaded our revos something terrible.

But I suppose it was just us.... Oh! Mike had the same problem!
Old January 18, 2008, 08:57 AM   #14
Travis Two

The old adage that you get what you pay for is still true today as it was the day it was coined. But since then I've added my own corollary to that statement that sometimes you don't even get that. I for one got very tired of paying good money for products that simply did not live up to reasonable expectations. Some people are only concerned about price and that is their sole guiding criteria. Fine - but don't try to sell the rest of us that you guys found nirvana in a price/ performance ratio that nobody else has been able to offer.
I for one welcome Mikes comments even though I am NOT a customer of his. An expieranced eye from his perspective is welcome insight in todays market.
Considering the number of good bullet casters that have closed over the past several years that could'nt cut it any more and you would have us believe a newcomer to the scene has found the answer that we are all looking for? Sorry I am not that gulible and neither are most of the people on these forums. All anyone is looking for is honesty in how the products perform. But, to do that you need to get the stars out your eyes first.

Last edited by Travis Two; January 18, 2008 at 04:13 PM.
Old January 18, 2008, 10:24 AM   #15
jhansman

Before this turns into a flame out, I'll just say that I will load and shoot them this weekend, and post back here. If they perform poorly or lead up my barrel, Robert will be the first to know, and you all will be second. But until I have (gasp!) actual experience, I'll hold off on judgment. I will say that appearance-wise, these bullets are not the shiniest I've seen, but they are nice and flat on the bottom, smooth sided, and the lube is clean.

Mastercast, if you had included that info in your first post, we would not be having this exchange. Your first post was just in poor taste, and you need to own that. Stay tuned...
Old January 18, 2008, 03:24 PM   #16
nobody_special

Quote:
nobody_special and jhansman, instead of running off at the mouth and/or running off new folks to our board, perhaps you can save your venom for those that really need it? Hmmm?

You gave your opinions of stonwall bullets, and dissed Mike before he posted his experience with them. How curteous is that?
I think my reply was appropriate considering what had been posted at the time.

jhansman, I'm looking forward to reading your report.
Old January 18, 2008, 04:31 PM   #17
ShootingNut

Mastercast

Here I am, pushing for Mike again, some may be sick and tired of me. But,
as a long time customer, I appreciate his quality product, service, and maybe more importantly his real time shooting experience and advice. He doesn't only melt lead, he knows the shooting aspect and what it takes to perform well.
Regards,
SN
Old January 18, 2008, 08:15 PM   #18
jhansman

Quote:
I think my reply was appropriate considering what had been posted at the time.
Ditto. Those of you who feel nobody_special and I are somehow out of line might scroll up and see the title of Mastecast's first post; that's what I reacted to. For one vendor to badmouth another on a public forum is just bad form.
Old January 19, 2008, 02:29 AM   #19
MASTERCAST.COM

Crappy bullets from Stonewall

Folks, I tell it like it is. My wife tells me that I am severely lacking with regard to diplomacy. I suspect she is right.

Anyhooooo, in the event that I see/receive evidence that Stonewall is making a remarkably improved product, I will be the first in line to sing his praises. Until that time, my comments stand as my honest, considered opinion of his product....period.

If I or others on this forum can't offer this kind of information to prevent good people from buying substandard products, I am curious to know why we bother to communicate?

Mike
Old January 19, 2008, 08:48 PM   #20
jhansman

OK, here is what happened at the range today with Stonewall's bullets. For the record, they are .452" 200gr. SWC loaded in Win brass & primers, over 5.4gr. of W231, out of a SA 1911 Loaded. This is at 7 meters:

Then, at 15 meters:

As as 'control,' I also shot some of the bullets (.452" 200 gr. RN) I normally use from another manufacturer, 7 meters and 15 meters, respectively:

I'm not sure what can be surmised from any of this, other than the fact that I am not a very good shot (yet).

I will say that I typically shoot better than this at 15 meters, and I had just finished shooting a silhouette match. None of that means much, but I thought I'd mention it.

I examined the barrel when I got home, as as far as I could see, no leading occurred. I cleaned it as I usually do (using Hoppes Semi Auto solvent) and it cleaned up as quickly as it ever does, with nothing out of the ordinary showing up on the patches.

So, I dunno. As I said earlier, the bullets looked like good castings, smooth and regular. I had two friends who reload (one with over 30 yrs. experience, the other with about 20) look them over at the range, and both thought they looked fine. My only knock against these bullets is that they came out of the box a bit gummy with lube, so I wiped the bullets down with a rag before shooting them. I emailed Robert about this, and he acknowledged that occassionally the Alox gets away from him at times. To me, this is no biggie, but again, I figured I should mention it in the interest of 'full disclosure.'

I plan to shoot the remainder of these bullets, and compare them to some Bear Creek molys I have. I will have someone else load and insert the mags, just to so I won't know which are which (this was not the case with this sample, BTW. I knew which was which when shooting)

I'd like to hear back from others who have shot these bullets. Do you think they are 'crap'? How do they stack up against what you normally load and shoot?
Old January 20, 2008, 01:50 AM   #21
MASTERCAST.COM

Wow! That Is A Prime Example Of Poor Accuracy

Sir,

I doubt that you are that poor of a shot.

The bullets made and sold her will cut the same hole at that distance. Did you happen to notice the bullet that went thorugh your target sideways? Jesus Christ, Lord help us, and good God in a gunnysack Sir! As I said they are CRAP! Yes Sir, you have some real quality bullets there! WooooHooo! Where can I get some of those?

Absent all of these horsefeathers, I will send your 500 of my .45 200 grain SWC bullets, free of charge to you. Send me your shipping information to [email protected] and I will get them on the way to you. You will find that you are a much better shot using quality, hard cast bullets.(Dammit, I can't help it!) All that I ask in return, is that you provide a report to the members of this forum on the results.

OK?

Mike
[email protected]
Old January 20, 2008, 02:17 AM   #22
jhansman

I guess I don't see if one tumbled, but then I probably lack your keen eye. Where, exactly, are you looking, and on which target?

I never turn down free bullets, and yes, I will post results here. Email is on the way.
Old January 20, 2008, 03:54 AM   #23
nobody_special

Ooh, that's impressively bad... the difference at 15m is really significant.

One question: did you work up a load for these bullets?
Old January 20, 2008, 11:30 AM   #24
jhansman

Quote:
One question: did you work up a load for these bullets?
Negative, and perhaps I should have. Once I have the new bullets to compare with, I will do a real sampling, using the powder manuf. range of loads as my test bed, and perhaps a Ransom rest to boot, just to take me out of it.

And, yeah, I was pretty surprised at the 15m spread. I thought I could shoot better than that, even on an off day.

Who knew a bullet could generate this kind of, ummm, 'interest'?
Old January 20, 2008, 02:04 PM   #25
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Who knew a bullet could generate this kind of, ummm, 'interest'?
<raises hand and squeaks> Me!
Closed Thread