The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old September 11, 2001, 06:26 PM   #1
RWK

TFL Day of Mourning

Rich,

May I respectfully recommend TFL suspend operations for a twenty-four hour period, to coincide with the Day of National Mourning the President will surely declare during his remarks later this evening, to honor the Americans lost on this most tragic Day.

Incidentally, today was an unforgettable, surreal experience in the Pentagon area.

Sincerely and with warmest regards -- Roy
Old September 11, 2001, 07:01 PM   #2
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Roy-
The sentiment is outstanding. However, I think the action is would be misplaced. TFL is not a commercial enterprise that would benefit by remaining open. It's a meeting place for those with common interest....certainly not as important as a church or town center; but moreso than a pub or beach club.

We intentionally closed TFL only once.....during the election when I (unilaterally) determined that we were only feeding our own sense of defeat. This is much different.....look at the posts; look at the order; look at the information; look at the unity....most of all, look at the example. Staff is more proud of the site and it's Members than we have ever been. We thank each of you.

I'm not ruling it out. Let's see what the Members and Staff say. Let's see what GW says.
Rich
Old September 11, 2001, 07:32 PM   #3
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Quote:
Terrorist attacks can shake the foundation of a building, but they cannot shake American resolve
Quote:
We will make no distinction between the terrorists who commited these acts and those who harbor them.
Roy-
My quotes may not be perfect, but they convey the sense of GW's words. By your leave, I think we'll stay open. The thought remains a great one....we need to find the proper direction......Give Blood.
Rich
Old September 12, 2001, 01:42 AM   #4
PreserveFreedom

I must agree with Rich as far as keeping the site open. Many of us are scared and many of us have questions that others can answer. TFL is like a big family to a lot of us and some really need each other. I know I have posted quite a few questions and comments in the past 24 hours. Thank you for this valuable resource, Rich, Staff, and Members.

Old September 12, 2001, 05:34 AM   #5
RWK

Rich,

I certainly see your point and I do not wish to deprive our members of the solace found in our community. I only wish there was something we -- TFL -- could do to express our unity with the nation at this time.

Roy
Old September 12, 2001, 07:21 PM   #6
HankL

Give donations to the Salvation Army in the name of TFL. Ask them to use it for the ongoing efforts in NYC. they will. Here is a link for a start. http://www.salvationarmysouth.org/ I have considered myself a member of "The Salvation Army Reserve" since hurricane Camille. These folks make seriously good use of their funds and do great work. We are a large enough group to make a dent!

My Heart Stands At Half Mast