The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 20, 2014, 02:07 PM   #1
Ridgerunner665

New to 5 stand...shotgun choices.

I have a 20 gauge Mossburg pump and a Remington 870 Wingmaster pump...both are modified choke (not screw in).

I'm planning on using the 870 because I have shells for it....7 1/2, cheap target rounds...I've shot skeet a few times but have never tried 5 stand...

Not planning on buying a new shotgun.... just looking for opinions on using a pump for 5 stand...and pointers if you have any.
Old March 20, 2014, 09:30 PM   #2
Bake

Break the first one first. Don't worry about the second one in till after the first one is broken...
Old March 21, 2014, 12:31 PM   #3
BigJimP

In general....any general purpose shotgun is fine for 5 stand...12ga or 20ga with a 28" barrel is fine....and every 5 stand is different in terms of target presentation / but for most 5 stand operations, a Modified choke is a good compromise.

For the 5 stand at my local club ....they have about 25 machines ....and the various options for which combination of targets is thrown is referred to as "Cards"....and I think they have about 15 different "Cards" they can elect to have pulled for a round....from pretty easy, to "black" as in nightmare difficult.../ the tougher cards will often have more "true pair" combinations...but a typical card...the first target is a single ( and you can fire 2 shots if you need to on it / then a report pair ( 2nd target is pulled on the report of your gun by puller ) / then a true pair (both targets in the air at once). Targets will vary - like sporting clays....some on ground as rabbits, some rising up from ground, some coming from behind you from a tower, some dropping in from a distance....or from right or left...depending on how many machines they have.

In general, you can never load more than 2 shells..( in a pump one in chamber and one in mag )...you shoot within a cage, that limits your gun swing and where you can see the targets, make sure action is open and no shells in gun when you move between stations ( there are 5 Stations / " 5 Stand"....)....on the most entertaining cards...the shots are fair to a mid level competitor ...but they require some "thought" especially on the True Pairs on which target to engage first...so you still have a good shot on 2nd target in the air....

In a 12ga....1 oz of shot is plenty ...and most shooters will shoot 1 oz of
8's at around 1200 fps ....but 7 1/2's are fine since that is what you have ( most clubs will not let you shoot anything bigger than 7 1/2's....so no 6's or 4's, etc...)...

If you wanted to shoot a 20ga.....I'd still go with 8's ...and 7/8 oz loads at 1200 fps...

Focus on having a good time.../ proper safety procedures...

Stay balanced, good fundamentals ( follow thru on the shot - pulling trigger is the start of the shot not the end of the shot ), good gun mount, rotate with lower body ( don't push the gun with arms), focus on leading edge of the target, think - analyze your lead, consider a clock face ( numbers 1 - 12 ) ....so evaluate your lead like "shoot that bird at 7 O'clock with about 3 feet of lead or whatever"....and of course every target is different.../ ....same kind of fundamentals in upland bird hunting, or Trap or Skeet...

Last edited by BigJimP; March 21, 2014 at 12:39 PM.
Old March 21, 2014, 04:58 PM   #4
Ridgerunner665

Thank You Big Jim...I'll report on how things go tomorrow evening.
Old March 21, 2014, 05:09 PM   #5
BigJimP

Anytime...have a good day !
Old March 21, 2014, 08:09 PM   #6
SauerGrapes

Quote:
Break the first one first. Don't worry about the second one in till after the first one is broken...
Good advice right here.
One thing, most 5 stand I shoot, have your gun loaded and ready to go when it's your turn. Keeps the game moving.
Above all, have fun and be safe.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old March 22, 2014, 09:22 AM   #7
BigJimP

A couple of things....

a. a gun is considered loaded - even if there are only shells in the magazine. Moving around the club, or between stands...most clubs say "no shells in the gun"...for everyone's safety. And the action has to be open whenever you're moving around the club - in fact, no closed actions unless you're on the shooting station.

b. its also considered bad manners to be moving around - in an adjacent station to the person shooting...you should stand still ...not opening or closing the action, picking up hulls, etc while they're concentrating and shooting. They should show you the same respect.

c. some clubs - will allow you to close your action - on your gun when you are the next shooter to shoot(not 2 or 3 stations away) / but personally that makes me nervous especially with new shooters. Keep muzzle in safe direction ( and at the ground with a loaded gun is not a safe direction) and don't move the barrel around while the person next to you is shooting.

d. There are published rules for "5 Stand" in the NSSA sporting clays/5 stand rule book ...and it discusses safety, etiquette, etc....

http://www.nssa-nsca.org/wp-content/...ule%20Book.pdf
Old March 22, 2014, 01:44 PM   #8
Ridgerunner665

Results...

5 stand round 1....12

5 stand round 2.....10

Skeet....terrible...think I hit 4

Trap......I hit most of them, but didn't count.

We weren't keeping score on trap and skeet.

Lots of fun...
Old March 22, 2014, 07:00 PM   #9
BigJimP

good - that's all that matters ...
Old March 24, 2014, 02:53 PM   #10
BigJimP

Shooting Skeet....and using it to really learn the fundamentals of stance, hold point, swing, follow thru, rotating lower body vs arm swinging, moving your eyes before you start the swing to find the 2nd bird......

are all skills best perfected on the Skeet field.../ ( especially high house @ station 2 and low house @ 6 if your a right handed shooter / and birds on stations 3, 4 and 5 as well...).....once you can break 90 out of 100 of those birds...you're on your way to improvement.

Shooting skeet well ( probably with a goal of 18's - 20's to start with) ...will improve your shooting on 5 Stand dramatically in my view .....and once you get your skeet scores up around 23's consistently ( or in mid 90's out of 100 / a lot of the fundamentals will be grooved ). You get a lot of repetition on a Skeet field....that's why its a good "skills learning game" as well...

-----------------
Shooting Trap singles...is kind of its own game because there is not that much left to right ...or right to left movement in the targets ( and best shot with a longer and heavier gun -- for me an O/U at around 10 lbs and 32" barrels for Trap ).....( my preference is a Citori XT Trap )..

...vs a general purpose gun for Skeet, 5 Stand, Sporting clays...where I prefer an O/U at around 8 1/2 lbs with 30" barrels ..( my preference is a Citori XS Skeet model ).

But shoot the guns you have....don't get wrapped up in new guns until you've got a few thousand targets under your belt...and know more about where you want to go with this pastime.

Last edited by BigJimP; March 24, 2014 at 02:59 PM.