The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 27, 2012, 02:38 PM   #1
wogpotter

What’s in yer wallet nowadays?

It’s been a while since I saw one of these threads & they usually get some debate going so here goes.

We all have shooting/hunting/possibles bags, but what do we put in them?

I’ll start the game off. I started out with just the ’58 Remington so I didn’t really take too much (for me at least) stuff. However I added a carbine to the mix & that meant a lot of extra goodies to run both. Now I understand why those frontiersmen liked rifles & pistols in the same caliber! Here’s the current set of stuff with a list of what it all is. For a trip to the range I just shove everything into a small tackle box, as it’s so much more convenient to work from on a bench.

But sometimes I get to do several days in the woods just wandering about & plinking so this is my kit for several days shooting.

I make no pretence to being any kind of re-enactor, so I don’t try to be PC or HC with this stuff. I do try to keep the flavor of the period a little though so please consider that in any comments you may have.

1 .490" balls for Hawken
2 Lubed pre-cut 0.010" patches for Hawken
3 Nipple wrench/prick combo tool & wedge puller/hammer tool (behind pouch)
4 Lubed felt wads for '58 Remington
5 Multi-size screwdriver
6 Stuck ramrod puller bars
7 Big screwdriver
8 & 9 Caps for pistol & rifle ( will become magnums for all, but right now is 1 magnum & 1 regular #11)
10 Curved tip tweezers
11 Oil bottle with wand
12 Lg. powder measure for Hawken
13 Stiff bristle brush
14 Small powder measure for pistol
15 & 16 Cappers for rifle & pistol. Short holds 11 caps, long holds 17
17 Set of spare nipples for all
18 Bore lube (wunderlube 2000) Hey I'm just using it up.
19 40/60 Crisco/beeswax patch lube
20 Powder flask with FFFg ( I can also use FFg but everything seems happy with 3F)
21 Blow tube to breathe into bore without sticking my face in front. One end is black, the other white so I only put lips on the white end!
22 Poke with 3" patches, Q-tips & pipe cleaner sections
23 Rod tips. Jag, patch worm, ball puller & so on, stored in oiled patches so they don't rattle
24 Candle stub & waxed string. I smoke the front sights.
25 Short starter for Hawken
26 Target pasters
27 0.454" balls for '58 Remington

I take too much, I know, I always take too much of everything for everything I do, Amazingly it all fits into the double pouch shown, hangs on a strap, like the powder flask, or fits in a handy pocket if not.

I came up with a system a while back where I keep only the shooting stuff (balls, wads patches & so on) in the inner pocket, all the maintenance & care stuff goes in the outer tied down one, as it’s slower to access. This also keeps the clutter & Oi! do I have clutter, from interfering with the actual shooting.

So, what’s your load, with pictures maybe?

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old July 27, 2012, 07:14 PM   #2
Hawg

For pistols a small leather bag full of balls, a tin of caps, a flask of powder, a powder measure and a small bag of wads and a rag.

For rifles a powder horn, powder measure, short starter, tin of caps, a bag of balls, a strip of patch material and a rag. Oh and a pocket knife.
Old July 27, 2012, 07:28 PM   #3
Pahoo

Excellent

Very nice spread and display that is seldom seen. I thank you for your post. I too take too much stuff with me but when we teach with the State's supplies, something is always short and I make it up with my stuff. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old July 27, 2012, 07:29 PM   #4
bedbugbilly

Hawg is a man after my own heart. I pretty much carry the same as he does - exception is if I'm using flint at which time I have a couple of spare flints added and a small brass head combination knapper/screwdriver. I've found over the years that "less is more". It's a lot like taking a trip and packing a suitcase with clothes you don't need - you have it "just in case" but half of it goes unused.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old July 27, 2012, 07:29 PM   #5
YARDDOG(1)

I use the same, Tackle box
Y/D
Old July 27, 2012, 07:41 PM   #6
Hellgate

I mainly go to SASS/CAS shoots with a WWII 50 cal army green ammo box full of the following:
2 boxes 12 ga BP shells (light & heavy loads)
100 .454 lead balls (+20 200gr conicals for big fallers)
100 #10 Remington caps
Several cappers, nipple picks, and cap push sticks
Under ball lube wads
Screwdriver
Ear plugs
Oil bottle (small)
Moose milk (small bottle)
Syringe full of automotive bearing grease (over ball lube)
Ballpoint pen (retractable)
Two full cylindrical powder flasks
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old July 27, 2012, 09:41 PM   #7
Chowmif16

What are the Huggies (TM) for?
Old July 27, 2012, 10:07 PM   #8
Hellgate

Chow,
I don't know about anybody else but I use them to wipe my hands off before I eat. I don't want to get grunge onto my food from my hands (think lead). I suppose you could also wipe down the guns with them prior to detailed cleaning.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old July 27, 2012, 11:04 PM   #9
Fingers McGee

Here are the contents of the possibles bag I hang on the side of my guncart at SASS matches.

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old July 28, 2012, 07:38 AM   #10
bedbugbilly

Fingers - those "Altoid" cans make great containers don't they? My wife likes 'em so I usually have some laying around - great for patches, cleaning jags - I even use them sometimes to put my beeswax/crisco grease in. You can put 'em in an oven and burn the paint off of 'em - gives 'em a nice "antique look" to go along with everything else.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old July 28, 2012, 09:55 AM   #11
Fingers McGee

You're right about that BBB. Now they even have smaller ones that can carry smaller stuff like extra nipples and such. The only problem with Altoids tins now days is they have Altoids stamped in the lid so they don't look as period as the older ones with the plain flat lids.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old July 28, 2012, 01:29 PM   #12
wittzo

I never thought about putting my cleaning brushes and jags and stuff in an altoids tin. I don't eat them, so I don't have any laying around. I have to buy them for the tin.
I do have quite a few musket cap tins laying around waiting for me to figure out what to do with them.
Old July 28, 2012, 02:53 PM   #13
mykeal

So, you used to eat musket caps???
Old July 28, 2012, 03:25 PM   #14
wogpotter

Quote:
Now they even have smaller ones that can carry smaller stuff like extra nipples and such.
Thats what I'm carrying the rod tips in.

Old July 28, 2012, 03:28 PM   #15
wogpotter

Quote:
What are the Huggies (TM) for?
I usually go to the range for the whole day so I use them before eating or drinking as the firing line has no faucet.

I'se dumb enuff already, so lead poisnin' aint going to help any.

Old July 28, 2012, 03:31 PM   #16
wogpotter

FINGERS:
What's the short hose (below the Altoids tin) for?

Old July 28, 2012, 04:08 PM   #17
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Well I don't have all those goodies yet but I did just get 2 very nice possible bags which were going to be used today but circumstances put me off the range till tomorrow at the earliest.

My Raging bull with my Walker:

And my Hodag with my new to me 1861 Navy thanks to Fingers:

Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old July 28, 2012, 10:37 PM   #18
Fingers McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by wogpotter
What's the short hose (below the Altoids tin) for?
It's a piece of thick wall tygon or aquarium tubing that I slip over the loading lever to keep the latch from digging into the palm of my hand when seating the balls. It also acts as an extension on a sheriffs model loading lever to give you more leverage. Saves making an extension out of wood or metal that could ding up the gun and loading lever.
Old July 29, 2012, 07:02 AM   #19
wogpotter

Good idea, thanks.

Old July 29, 2012, 10:22 AM   #20
Hawg

Nice bags Grump.
Old July 29, 2012, 11:05 AM   #21
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Quote:
Nice bags Grump.
It's your fault, you introduced me to Kat.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old July 29, 2012, 11:09 AM   #22
Fingers McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg
Nice bags Grump.
+1.
Old July 29, 2012, 01:05 PM   #23
Hawg

Quote:
It's your fault, you introduced me to Kat.
Did I? I thot she introduced herself.

Didja get the Ruger yet?
Old July 29, 2012, 01:14 PM   #24
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Ruger is at my toy store, I'll pick it up Tuesday, shoot it and have a report on it that night or Wednesday unless it's raining. I was going to do some Walker and 1861 Navy shooting today but the last few days including now it is wet out. My new tin roof got put up just in time. Instead of a big yard full of brown dead grass I have a yard beginning to look like a Jungle.
--Daniel Webster--
Old July 29, 2012, 01:23 PM   #25
Hawg

Quote:
Ruger is at my toy store, I'll pick it up Tuesday,
Good deal. As long as it got there.