The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 6, 2008, 10:33 PM   #1
btefft

100 gr bullet vs 115 gr of same kind

100 gr bullet vs 115 gr of same kind, 115 was much more accurate.

I kinda thought that the length of a bullet had an impact on its accuracy. Now I am convinced it does.

I loaded 50 of Berry's 100 gr .355 RN bullets with the minimum recommended load and 50 of Berry's 115 gr .355 RN with their minimum recommended load.

I fired the 115 gr first in my little Ruger .380 LCP at a distance of about 10-12 feet. All but the first few were in the black.

Then I fired the 100 gr, none hit the black, they were terrible. I had to bring the target near me just to see where they were hitting. All were hitting to the left.

I used the exact same supported firing position.

I think the 115s were more accurate because the bullet is longer and thus more stable in flight. There may also be a benefit in that there is more of them to contact the lands and grooves.

I don't know how much of the difference in accuracy could be attributed to the two different powder charges?

What do you all think, is a longer (have more grains, same diameter) bullet inherently more accurate than a shorter (less grain weight) in the same diameter?

Hack
Old May 7, 2008, 07:21 AM   #2
SL1

Hack wrote: "What do you all think, is a longer (have more grains, same diameter) bullet inherently more accurate than a shorter (less grain weight) in the same diameter?"

In a word, Yes.

Longer bullets typically tip less and line up with the bore better as they enter the rifling, and so they deform less at that point. Less deformed bullets fly better when they leave the muzzle, so they a more accurate.

That said, very light charges are typically not the most accurate, except with very long bullets such as the hollow-based wad cutters that are specifically designed for light charges. Before you decide that one bullet is more accurate than another, you need to find the most accurate charge for each bullet, separately, then compare results.

I would be surprised if there is no charge that will put most of the lighter bullets "in the black" at "10 -12 feet" (assuming you are using a pistol target designed for a longer distance, such as 50 ft or more).

With respect to the light bullets hitting left, I have two comments. First, from an accuracy standpoint, if the group was small, but not in the black because the small group was to the left, then that is not a problem with the bullets. Second, lighter bullets shooting left or right compared to heavier bullets may be caused by a problem with the way you grip the gun or pull the trigger. More typically, light bullets hit lower than heavy bullets, but not much shift left or right

SL1
Old May 7, 2008, 09:02 AM   #3
45Marlin carbine

good info, I have a .380acp Browning I load for, I've shot the Remington 'Golden Saber' with good results and also the Remington 88gr H-P. looking forward to some cast loads later on.