The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 3, 2008, 06:06 PM   #1
jdscholer

Purchased Wheel-weights

I was at my tire shop today and asked what happens to the old wheel weights.
Was informed that I could buy a two gallon bucket for $17.00, and keep the bucket.
I did so, and when I got home, weighed the bucket. About 55 lbs.
How'd I do?
Old May 3, 2008, 06:21 PM   #2
snuffy

You're going to end up with around 40-45 pounds of lead. 45 pounds will mean you paid about 37ยข/lb. Not bad! Now turn those into boolits, you'll be way ahead of what cast lead boolits cost to buy!

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old May 3, 2008, 07:40 PM   #3
CrustyFN

It's getting harder and harder to get. I have two places that I am getting them for free but there are a couple of others getting them there also so it's hard to get more than a quarter of a bucket at a time. I have another place that is selling me a full 5 gal bucket for $20 and I am the only one he will sell to. Most other places if you can get them to sell at all want $50 a bucket. One guy found a srap yard that will buy them for 40 cents a pound and he won't go any lower than that.
Rusty
Old May 3, 2008, 09:09 PM   #4
TexasSeaRay

I've got two places that sell me five gallon buckets for $5 each--it's about a once a month pickup. But since I am presently in the process of "acquire and hoard" as it pertains to just about anything casting and reloading-wise, I've also been purchasing lead, linotype and wheel weights.

So far, the highest I've paid was $1/pound at a scrap yard not too far from my house. There's a couple of other scrap yards about an hour and a half (each way) from my house that sell for a bit less. By the time I factor in time and gas, it's still costing me around a dollar a pound.

At least this one particular scrap yard removes the clips and culls out any and all dreaded zinc weights as well as the steel ones. So what I'm paying for is pure WW alloy.

Freaking Chinese SOBs keep buying up all our materials. Why the hell don't they mine THEIR OWN FREAKING POS COUNTRY???

Jeff

So to those of you who are members of neither, thanks for nothing.
Old May 3, 2008, 11:30 PM   #5
Hawg

I still get mine for free...............So far. I pick up a two gallon bucket once a month. Got enough on hand to last a looong time but I'm still getting them while I can. The stick on weights are 98% pure lead so take that into account when you're casting. Those make excellent bullets/balls for smoke poles.
Old May 4, 2008, 12:48 AM   #6
20nickels

Could somebody post how to tell the difference in wheel weights zinc vs. lead etc. Tks.
Old May 4, 2008, 09:51 AM   #7
Crosshair

Quote:
Could somebody post how to tell the difference in wheel weights zinc vs. lead etc. Tks.
It's actually very easy to tell. Lead melts at 621 F and Zinc melts at 787 F. The lead alloys used in most wheel weights generally melt at a lower temperature than pure lead. So all you have to do is keep the melt at a temperature above the melting point of lead and below the point for zinc. The Zinc weights will float to the top of the melt and can easily be removed and discarded along with the clips.

It's way easier than it sounds. Keep your temp at a max of between 650-675 and you will be golden. Heck, you can go all the way to 700, but why use more heat than you have to. My melt temp rarely gets to 650 because I am continually adding weights.

Another method is to drop the weights onto a concrete floor. The saying I learned is, "If it *tinks* it's zinc" There is a distinct difference in sound between the two. Lead WW can also be easily cut with a boxcutter, Zinc can't. This method is mind numbingly slow.

Personally I don't run into many Zinc WW so I use the thermometer method when smelting. The RCBS model is only $40 and well worth the investment.

As for buying wheel weights. I buy them from several tire places for $.35 per pound. That is what the local recycler pays for WW. They like selling to me because I come and pick them up from them instead of them having to drop them off. The recycler wants to sell them to me for $.90 per pound. I'm going to avoid buying from them. I do have one "source" where I get them for free, but I am NOT about to tell anyone where that is.
Old May 4, 2008, 01:18 PM   #8
DWFan

casting

Wheel weights I can get, but what is a good source for tin to mix in for hardening? What kind of ratio should I use to get linotype hardness, (BHN of 20-22)?
Old May 4, 2008, 01:35 PM   #9
snuffy

Quote:
Wheel weights I can get, but what is a good source for tin to mix in for hardening? What kind of ratio should I use to get linotype hardness, (BHN of 20-22)?
First, tin alone will not harden lead much. Tin is in the alloys to help with fill-out of the boolits, it makes lead more fluid. To get to lino hardness, you need tin and antimony. Tin is also necessary for antimony to alloy with lead.

A good source of tin is 95-5 lead free solder, be sure to read the label to be sure the 5% is antimony, not silver or copper.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old May 4, 2008, 04:57 PM   #10
Crosshair

Quote:
Wheel weights I can get, but what is a good source for tin to mix in for hardening? What kind of ratio should I use to get linotype hardness
I just use straight WW and water drop my boolits. Gets them plenty hard. Should check to see just how hard they get.