The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 2, 2008, 06:00 PM   #1
Sgt. Mike

"Trim to Length" and Winchester

I purchased 500, 7mm STW (Winchester) casings only to find that 80%+ were approximately .005-7" shorter than the recommended "trim to length". That would make the bullet opening uneven for reloading.

Also I purchased 500, 7mm Remington Magnum (Winchester Casings). Approximately 20% of these are shorter than the recommended "trim to length".

I notified Winchester and sent some samples back to them for examination. Is the "trim to length" sizing an exact science. I hate to throw away over half of the casings. Perhaps a lesson well learned about Winchester. I'll give them the benefit. If I don't hear back in 1 month, Winchester will lose our business. All comments on the "trim to length" would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Michael
Old May 2, 2008, 07:23 PM   #2
steve4102

Load em and shoot em. It is not uncommon for factory brass to be short. Shoot em up, size em and then trim em to length.
Old May 2, 2008, 08:38 PM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

Not an exact science

It is not uncommon for virgin cases to be a bit short. They will usually grow a bit on first firing. The "trim to" length is just an arbitrary number (usually .010) less than the max case length. You don't have to trim cases that much, as long as you keep a careful eye on the length and do not exceed max length, or you could trim them even shorter, if you want with no harm done.

The trim to length is just an easy, common length to trim cases to for uniformity, and is short enough under the max case length that usually cases will not stretch to max length with a single firing.

Some calibers stretch cases badly, others barely, and some never seem to at all. The .45 Auto comes to mind. In 35 years reloading .45 auto brass, I don't remember seeing even one case at max length, if anything, they get shorter!

As long as you new virgin brass isn't over max length, size it and load it as normal. Then, after it's first firing check it again. Usually cases will stretch the most on their first firing, and less each firing after that. Usually.

Hope this helps