The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 27, 2010, 08:50 PM   #1
drgoose

Newbie Questioin #2 How to sit for bench rest

I went to the range today for the first time with my new rifle. I have been shooting pistols for a while and as a kid I shot 4 position NRA rifle too, but today was the first time I shot a centerfire rifle from the bench. I am kind of a tall guy (6 ft 3 inches) and using a sandbag under the muzzle and a smaller one under the stock, I was pretty much having to lay on my stomach on the table to be able to aim the scope at the target. I elevated the front sand bag about 4 inches with a brick and that made it more comfortable but it still felt awkward.

My cheek was not anywhere close to where it would have been if I was shooting standing.

Am I doing something wrong? do I need a smaller chair? a taller brick?
Old June 27, 2010, 08:58 PM   #2
TXGunNut

For best results you'll need to elevate the rifle, not lower your body. A bipod or a taller base may help here. Front bag needs to support the forend, not the muzzle. Rear bag should support the butt. Start w/ the front bag just behind the front sling swivel mount (sling removed) but it may work better a bit further back.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old June 27, 2010, 08:59 PM   #3
drgoose

Thks

Thanks, will try that.
Old June 27, 2010, 09:00 PM   #4
DnPRK

Shorter stool or taller bench...

Place the front sandbag under the stock forend about where your hand would go (don't let the barrel rest on the sandbag).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVn0s8lbIrA
Old June 28, 2010, 10:49 AM   #5
PetahW

Understand that a rifle's zero will change, from where it is with the forend rested directly on a rest, to where it will end up when shot offhand, as in hunting.

The reason is that the rifle has a tendency to recoil away from a support - and the harder the support, the more pronounced the recoil, ergo also the POI.

For that reason, for benching hunting rifles, AND maintaining the same zero, I shoot them w/o letting any part of the rifle touch anything other than my hands or shoulder - by placing the forward hand between rifle/rest, and ensuring the toe of the buttstock never contacks the benchtop.

Old June 28, 2010, 11:12 AM   #6
Morgoroth

Quote:
For that reason, for benching hunting rifles, AND maintaining the same zero, I shoot them w/o letting any part of the rifle touch anything other than my hands or shoulder - by placing the forward hand between rifle/rest, and ensuring the toe of the buttstock never contacks the benchtop.
That makes sense. But, wouldn't it be harder to zero in the first place bc your hand is not as stable as the sand bags?
Old June 28, 2010, 01:52 PM   #7
rickyrick

You should be able to find a stable position without bags, just experiment some, I do it off the hood of my pick-up or the corner of the tailgate all of the time.

I practice on the kitchen table when the wife's out.(unloaded)

I say zero for the conditions in which you will be shooting.
Old June 28, 2010, 02:02 PM   #8
drgoose

Shooting off bags

So if you shoot not using bags, what is a reasonable size group to expect at 100 yards (i asume larger than 1 MOA right?)
Old June 28, 2010, 09:30 PM   #9
rickyrick

Group size depends on a lot of factors,

In my experience, the group size should not increase if you follow the fundamentals if shooting without bags, however, the time between shots will take longer.

If available, by all means, use bags......I choose not to because I really don't like the hassle and I have become comfortable shooting with just the ol' elbow.

one thing more, while you are practicing, try to bring the gun to bear with eyes closed till you can open them with the correct sight alignment.