The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 9, 2007, 10:45 PM   #1
bdcbbq

Choosing A Holster: Details.

I want to avoid the dreaded drawer of mistakes I've read about on several websites. I've read quite a few holster sites, threads, and articles over the past month which has helped narrow down some of my holster choices. I am now in need of some detailed holster information regarding my first purchase for a Walther P99. For conceal reasons I want to try an IWB first. I have a couple of questions and am looking for input. I am really interested in specifically why you did or did not like a holster. I have information about brands, companies, or makers. I want to know:

What are the details that make a good IWB holster comfortable to wear?

What details make a holster miserable to wear?

What functions do you want and like?

What functions do you not like?

What is your idea of the perfect marriage a holster's details?

What custom details are our favorites and why.

Please don't limit comments to the Walther.

Thanks,
Old May 11, 2007, 03:11 PM   #2
dbracin

Iwb

I have tried MANY holsters. This one is the best for me. Crafted by Nate at the Ugly Bald Guy Holsters.

I like the cant of the pistol. It's more comfortable to me and has less bulk to it by having the beltloops on either side of the gun. You need a good gunbelt to support the weight of the rig/gun. Depending on your size/build/shape, you might want your pants an inch or two bigger in the waist than you normally wear. Stick your hand in your waistband and push out on your belt. Then imagine an object stuck in there all day.
Old May 11, 2007, 06:30 PM   #3
Kreyzhorse

For me - IWB is really about three things.

1. Leather - a sturdy leather holster that supports the gun is a must.

2. A sturdy leather gun belt to support both the holster and gun.

3. Gun - for me, smaller is better when I carry IWB. I usually carry a Smith 637. The gun is light weight and easy to conceal.
Old May 11, 2007, 06:55 PM   #4
John28226

Impossible Dream

I doubt that you can avoid the "tried that one" drawer full of holsters. I thought I could - wrong! IWB is the only way I carry - one of three guns, depending on the weather and what is suitable clothing but most of the time a Taurus Stellar Tracker .45 ACP revolver.

I tried a number of "almost O.K." holsters before I found what for me is the ideal one - Milt Sparks Watch 6 - the Crossbreed is a close second and I bought it first thinking I could save some $$. I also like what K & D offers so I have two or three from Kevin.

I even have a number of belts from different makers - little difference between them and, except for the 7/8 inch hole spacing (as opposed to 1 inch), they all work well.

IWB requires finding the "sweet spot" to carry in; a quality belt with 7/8 inch hole spacing (so that you can adjust the belt - "just right") and a holster that does not allow the weapon to poke into your body.

I like jeans and a print shirt worn untucked and that works for me. On those rare occasions where I have to dress up I often wear an under the shirt "deep cover" holster and leave a button (hidden by the tie) open.

I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I suspect that a drawer for holsters that did not quite work is standard operating procedure.

John
Mayberry, NC
Where all the children are above average and all the women are beautiful
Old May 11, 2007, 07:31 PM   #5
The Canuck

While I am only allowed to carry at the range, I can go for three hours without even noticing the TRP Operator on my hip. I am 6'1" 230lbs.

Kramer Handgun Leather.

I use a Horsehide Belt Scabbard.

Last edited by The Canuck; May 11, 2007 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Adding info.
Old May 11, 2007, 07:57 PM   #6
dairycreek

Quote:
What are the details that make a good IWB holster comfortable to wear?
In my experience the holster must fit the gun well. If the gun is too loose or too tight in the holster it won't ride right on your belt. I vastly prefer the holsters that are constructed like the one in the previous post made by UBG. The "wings" spread out the weight of the gun and make it easier to carry. A well made, stiff, belt is IMHO also a must. That kind of belt will keep the gun from sagging, will also spread out the weight of the gun and make for a more comfortable carry. All things being equal the lighter the gun the more comfortable carry. My favorite carry gun is a S&W 1911Sc carried in a ComTac holster. The Sc is a very light, very reliable, very accurate 1911 and is an excellent carry choice. FWIW

GOOD SHOOTING
Old May 11, 2007, 08:52 PM   #7
BobK

If you want a custom holster, stay away from those that require you to pay upfront before delivery. Check the rep of holster makers. There are some that will take your money and make you wait for a year or more. Try Milt Sparks, KD Holster, or Pale Horse Holsters. HBE Leather is good too but Eric is quite often backlogged for several months.