The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 9, 2002, 07:41 AM   #1
Primered

Reloads for M625 & M25

I reload for both a S&W 625 and it's older relative, a M 25 both in .45 Autorim. Although I got excellent accuracy in both guns shooting lead (typically light to moderate velocities), I got terrible leading in the cylinders of both guns and virtually none in the barrells. It appears that both have rather large chambers measuring .454" in one to .457" in the older Model 25. I assume I'm getting gas cutting which is depositing on the chamber walls. Eventually, I just gave up on the lead and load plated bullets again with excellent accuracy and no leading whatsoever. For economic reasons as well as convenience (I also shoot three .45 Autos with lead) I'd like to go back to shooting the lead. Any suggestions from group members as to what I'm may be doing wrong? I typically load anywhere from 3.8 of Clays to 6.5 of Unique with 200 grain bullets in these guns if that's any help.

Thanks.

Pete
Old October 9, 2002, 08:14 AM   #2
Number 6

How soft are your bullets?

I use hard-cast 200gr over 5.0gr of Red Dot in my 625 with no major problems. Your chambers may be oversized or you may be using too soft a bullet.
Old October 9, 2002, 03:59 PM   #3
WIL TERRY

AND ON THE OTHER HAND YOU MAY BE USING CAST BULLETS

THAT ARE TOO HARD AND DON'T OBTURATE TO SEAL THINGS OFF. YOU CAN ALSO BUY .454" OR LARGER BULLETS TO FIT THE OVER SIZED THROATS IN THESE PISTOLS.
IN MY MOST HUMBLE OF OPINIONS MOST OF THE CAST BULLEST BEING SOLD THESE DAYS ARE FAR TOO HARD FOR THE WORK THEY'RE SUPPOSED TO DO. THE LUBE ON MANY IS ALSO A JOKE.
BY THE WAY, THE LEAD IN THE CYLINDER THROATS IS BEING SCRAPED OFF, NOT MELTED BY BLOWBY.
Old October 9, 2002, 04:19 PM   #4
birdman

Why not try some of the new Hornady swagged bullets that are being offered with a new type of lube these days. I buy these for my Vaquero .45 Colt sized to .454 and have excellent results. You might also try dumping some of your current supply of bullets into a ziploc bag and squirt some Lee Liquid Alox on them. After you thoroughly cover the bullets with alox (I use a rubber glove to avoid getting it all over my hand) set the bullets on a cookie sheet covered with wax paper to dry. This method has allowed me to shoot some cheapo cast bullets that previously leaded like crazy.
Old October 10, 2002, 09:16 AM   #5
JoeHatley

I don't use the AutoRim brass, but in .45 acp I've found 4.5 grains Bullseye and a 200 grain SWC cast bullet, to be very accurate in any gun I've tried it in.

Good Luck...

Joe
Old October 11, 2002, 04:12 AM   #6
WESHOOT2

www.pennbullets.com

"Slug" your barrels, then buy bullets .001" over.