The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 2, 2012, 09:32 AM   #1
Redhawk5.5+P+

Midway would not send me 9mm +P

I live in NW Las Vegas.

I ordered ammo from them, and they would honor everything including .357mags. They stated they would not send +p 9mm ammo to Las Vegas.

I sent them back to ask them, why not? I'm sure they would send me 500 S&W, or 460 S&W. But not 9mm +P.

What do you think about that?
Old December 2, 2012, 09:43 AM   #2
RobertInIowa

Sucks. I'll be interested to hear what their reason is. Must be some law, legal action or bad experience to drive that policy. I don't know whey they should worry though, after all, "What happens in Vegas..................."
Old December 2, 2012, 09:55 AM   #3
rebs

Is there any law or something about +P ammo in Las Vagas ?
As far as Midwayusa I am about done with them. They have raised their shipping costs and also prices on certain items I have ordered in the past.
I was placing an order online for $147.00, nothing was on sale and I entered a coupon code for 25.00 off my order and a window popped up saying I could not use the coupon because the following items were on sale.
It listed 1 item was on sale for 1.00 off and another item for 3.00 off. Thetwo items were not on sale when I added them to my order. I have a feeling they were on sale all of a sudden just to avoid me using the coupon code. I cancelled the entire order. Then I get an email from them asking why I cancelled my order and I returned an email saying what happened and have not heard from them in 4 days.
A friend told me he orders from Midsouth Shooters Supply and I went to their website and found everything I had in my $147.00 order to midway for $31.00 less and their shipping is cheaper also.
Old December 2, 2012, 10:30 AM   #4
jmortimer

^ Right now I'm in an anyone but Midway USA mood. They will learn the hard way.
Old December 2, 2012, 11:04 AM   #5
chiefr

I too would like to know why they would not sell you the ammo.

I see am am not the only one disgrunted with Midway. I have been buying from Midway since it first started around 30 years ago. It was a very small operation and had the best prices anywhere. Their business at that time centered around reloading supplies only. For their first 20 years, Midway was the only place I shopped. Times sure has changed.

IMHO, Midway is slowly becoming the next Gander Mountain.
Now Midway sells virtually everything thus their operating costs and overhead must now be great. Their prices are higher than most of their competition.

Midway's customer service (CS) is great and they do offer fast shipping. However since I deal with other places like Grafs, Natchez now, they too have great CS and fast shipping.

I agree, Midways shipping charges have risen sharply. Not so with their competition. Many wholesales are offering free shipping over the holidays or free shipping if you spend over X amount. Grafs offer a flat rate of $5.95. I have yet to see Midway do the same.
Old December 2, 2012, 12:01 PM   #6
Magnum Mike

I switch to Midsouth, from Midway years ago! Far cheaper,better service, and have been a joy to work with!
Old December 2, 2012, 11:31 PM   #7
Patriot86

There was a dustup over at Illinois Carry a few months ago because Midway would not send ammo to a Illinois resident because they lived "sort of near" Chicago.......nothing surprises me with them anymore. I am a capitalist pig though; I buy whatever happens to be cheapest there. Ammo is not one of those things.

Shameless plug time though; I buy 9MM and 45ACP hollow points from a place called Kyles Gun Shop in Ohio all the time. They stock the hard to find "Law Enforcement" 50 round boxes of things like Gold Dot's, Federal HST, Critical Defense, Ranger T etc that is cheap and hard to find. They always ship quick and the price is very reasonable for shipping.
Old December 3, 2012, 06:28 PM   #8
Redhawk5.5+P+

They never responed back. I still buy from them and yes I been ordering +P 9mm for some time from different place, I've aslo bought +P ammo from Walmart in Vegas.
Old December 3, 2012, 09:20 PM   #9
Crankgrinder

Sad to hear the way midway seems to have gone. I too have noticed merchandise and shipping increases . Ordered most of my stuff through them too. Too bad.
Old December 3, 2012, 11:39 PM   #10
Jay24bal

I too have moved away from Midway...

Midway has also fallen out of my graces. Nothing in particular prompted the change, just noticed that prices for both merchandise and shipping seemed to be a bit high.

I have since switched to Natchez Shooting Supply and have been 100% satisfied. Their prices are always very competitive, shipping is what I expect it to be, and they always have good ammo on sale (in handgun calibers anyway). Their customer service is also top notch in my book. About 6 months ago, I ordered 200 rounds of .223. Well, the order arrived and the boxes were marked 5.56, not .223. For AR guys, this wouldnt be an issue, but for someone with only a bolt action .223, this is an issue since you can't shoot 5.56 from a gun only designed for .223 Rem. Now, most places don't allow you to return ammo (and I completely understand why), but when I contacted them and directed them to the page of the website with the ammo I ordered, they realized that the ammo was advertised incorrectly, and they allowed me to return it in exchange for other ammo. Not only that, they threw in 2 extra boxes of ammo for my trouble and paid shipping both ways. A++ in my book.

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "
Old December 4, 2012, 07:31 AM   #11
mitchntx

Quote:
I have since switched to Natchez Shooting Supply and have been 100% satisfied. Their prices are always very competitive, shipping is what I expect it to be, and they always have good ammo on sale (in handgun calibers anyway). Their customer service is also top notch in my book.
Can't argue with everything but their shipping rates. They've increased by 10-20% to Texas over the last 6 months. Other than that, Natchez is great!
Old December 4, 2012, 12:48 PM   #12
Patriot86

All things being equal I noticed that UPS rates have been going up. What was $7-7.50 last year to ship out of my companies shop is now $9-10.50.
Old December 4, 2012, 02:00 PM   #13
Shane Tuttle
Staff

How 'bout we give more time for Midway to respond before continuing the bashfest on them? Jumping the gun making accusatory statements without knowing what the reason is is poor form.

A subtle warning...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old December 4, 2012, 02:25 PM   #14
sirgilligan

I think it is often a little better training can stop a lot of trouble, training for the company rep making a response to a customer to anticipate a question and provide the answer.

Talk about shipping going up, I just ordered two "hidden pocket" travel pouches, they couldn't weigh 5 oz and it was $7.00. They were on sale from last month by half price so it is a wash to me on costs, but sure enough shipping is going up.

I do appreciate the info on other suppliers. Competition makes the dollar go around.

I checked on the Mid South and check out this statement:

Speer Gold Dot .380 AUTO 90gr Jacketed Hollow Point (50 rounds). No sales to: Canada, NYC, Los Angeles, Oakland, Sacramento, San Francisco, Washington DC, Chicago, Hawaii, Massachusetts, Reno (NV), Annapolis (MD),Montgomery County (MD) and the folllowing CA counties: Marin, Napa, Ventura, and Yolo.

It is a rough time for all in this economy. I am so sick of things that I have become jaded and pessimistic about everything. I need a break.
Old December 4, 2012, 02:40 PM   #15
Pointshoot

Why not call them up and ask ?

Why would a private company trying to make money, not sell a product unless there was some legal reason for them not doing so ? The fault may be with your state or city.

(I'd also send them the link to this thread and tell them youre bringing the subject up on the internet.)
Old December 4, 2012, 03:13 PM   #16
ApexAchilles

That's weapons grade stupid in this economy.
Old December 4, 2012, 03:15 PM   #17
ApexAchilles

I know that many manufacturers slight the private sector for no legally related reason, many laser manufacturers and NV/thermal manufactures, not to mention everyone's favorite German gun co.
Old December 5, 2012, 10:29 AM   #18
sirgilligan

I was just browsing on Midway USA and there is this chat now button, so I clicked it and brought this up. The very nice service rep said he has told management of this and I thanked him. If they contact me with an official response I will post it, I gave them this thread's URL and they may be able to directly respond.
Old December 5, 2012, 11:02 AM   #19
lescoulee

Redhawk, what was the product number and destination zip code, please? I did a random order in a Las Vegas zip code for 9mm +P ammunition and had no problem. It sounds to me like that specific ammunition was improperly coded in the system. If you can give me that information I'll forward it to Management.
Old December 6, 2012, 08:33 PM   #20
jtmckinney

I Like Midway

Others also get my business but Midway gets their share of it.

I just ordered 2 knives, sizing wax, red dot scope and scope mount and they did not charge any shipping or handling. I will be very surprised if the order doesn't show up middle next week with no problems. Also sent $1.25 to the NRA as part of the purchase.

Have a great day!
James
When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; When I am stronger than you, I take away your freedoms because that is according to my principles. Frank Herbert "Children of Dune"
Old December 6, 2012, 11:04 PM   #21
Redhawk5.5+P+

Quote:
Redhawk, what was the product number and destination zip code, please? I did a random order in a Las Vegas zip code for 9mm +P ammunition and had no problem.
My zip is 89149 in NW Las vegas, it was a while ago, I don't know why I brought it up so late. not a big deal, I just thought it was stupid at the time.

I still do business with Midway because they usually have everything I need or want in stock unlike SportsmanGuide on a single order to save on shipping , but I get a lot of good deals on a lot of stuff being a member of there club. Like today, I get free shipping no minimal order. To bad I don't need anything today (or do I?). LOL

Like some things you have in stock (SMG doesn't) is speed strips and a recoil buffer for my Glock 20 about $17+around $10 shipping worths, but the shipping kills the deal, so I usually have to piggybag stuff like that on a bigger order. Sucks to have just about everything I need, I just hate shipping fee's for small stuff, so I wait.

Thanks
Old December 6, 2012, 11:10 PM   #22
langenc

Midways owners are often shown donating millions to the NRA. It is not all 'round up' money.
Old December 7, 2012, 01:26 PM   #23
lescoulee

I just tried a sample order of +P 9mm Luger to that zip code and had no problem. I can only assume the problem was fixed. Sorry 'bout that.
Old December 7, 2012, 08:20 PM   #24
Redhawk5.5+P+

It could have been 89129 as they changed my zip code. LOL

No biggy, I don't buy much ammo from them anymore because I buy bulk now. I still might throw a box in with an order as I still buy from Midway once in a while. In fact I'm already starting a list but I have to wait, I'm to stuburn to pay $10S&H for a $17 order.
Old December 8, 2012, 04:00 PM   #25
Buzzard Bait

re dirrect the anger where it belongs

I think your anger should be directed at the pollitical low lifes that placed the restrictions on shipping ammo to law abbiding citizens in your area instead of the company that is trying to stay in compliance with these stupid and most likey unconstitutional laws.
bb