The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 25, 2011, 01:50 PM   #1
HandGunslinger

Replacing the firing pin spring on a 1911

Can anyone advise me how often the FP spring should be replaced? I just ordered a new recoil spring from Wolff, and it came with a FP spring. Is there any trick in changing it out? Any help would be appreciated.
Old April 25, 2011, 02:43 PM   #2
44 Deerslayer

They are matched to the recoil springs. Heavier recoil spring, heavier FP spring. I normally change them both at the same time but it's not a critical thing.

Just push in the end of the firing pin with a small punch or even a nail and slide the firing pin stop down so it clears the pin. Careful that it doesn't fly out. Pull out the pin, pull off the old spring and press on the new. Put the firing pin back, compress it enough so the stop can be slid up again so the pin pops into the hole in the stop and you're done.

Easier to do than trying to explain it. If things are dirty, clean them up before you put it back together.

If it's a series 80 with a firing pin safety, then you have to press in the safety button inside the slide to release the firing pin. You have to jockey the safety button to put the firing pin back too but it's not rocket science.
Old April 25, 2011, 03:22 PM   #3
Edward429451

Do not oil the fp, spring, or channel upon reassembly. Put it together dry and clean.
Old April 25, 2011, 03:29 PM   #4
MLeake

Firing pin flying out? Is this one of those things where the fat-fingered types should wear eye protection?
Old April 25, 2011, 04:08 PM   #5
BigJimP

Yes, I would wear eye protection when removing a firing pin from a 1911 ...or breaking down most guns to bare frames for that matter.

There is a front and a back to firing pin springs ...and if you look at them one end is smaller or tapered. The end that is tapered ...goes toward the back of the firing pin ( or the tapered end goes on first...) ...

For what its worth ...Wilson Combat recommends replacing the recoil springs about every 3,000 rds and firing pin springs about every 5,000 rounds. Personally, I replace the firing pin springs every other time I replace the recoil springs ...( and I make a note in my "gun log" so I have a fighting chance remembering when it was done on a specific gun ) ....