The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 12, 2000, 08:03 AM   #1
ABowe

I just purchased an 870 Express which is about 3 years old but still in the box. I bought it from a friend who won it at a raffle. It has a 21" barrel with special turkey choke. I plan to use it for sport shooting, home defense and maybe deer next year. Three questions. First, it has what seems to be a light coat of surface rust on the barrel. I'm sure it will clean up but looking for a suggestion on what product is best to use. Second, what do you think of a 21” barrel as an “all around-general purpose” barrel. And third, what choke would be good for the uses I have stated? BTW the safety is the old non-PC version. TIA for any replies. BigAl
Old December 12, 2000, 09:55 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

First, try a light wipe or two with an oily rag and see if it comes off. If that doesn't do the job,try a VERY light rubbing with 4/0 steel wool and more oil. I've used everything from sewing machine to motor oil, they all do well.

I had an 28 inch 870 bbl trimmed to 21" and rethreaded for chokes, it's an excellent all around bbl. A year or two after, Remington started marketing the bbl you have, tho I'm sure I'm in no way responsible. They saw the same need I did. While I'd like a longer bbl for clays and trap, it handles nicely and is excellent for quail, or under other conditions, turkey.

That special turkey tube is extra full. Keep it, and get IC and Modified tubes to cover darn near all circumstances. You can use IC(Improved Cylinder) with slugs or buck for deer, after you find out what the laws are there and after you find out what slugs and buck your shotgun "Likes".

Hope this helps....
Old December 12, 2000, 03:53 PM   #3
mjcitra

If an oily rag doesn't do the trick lightly rub with some steel wool or a soft bristled tooth brush, but be carefull not to rub too had or it will scratch the barrel. Since it has not been used you should also do an initial cleaning of the barrel with a cleaning rod and patches and oiling of the action.
Old December 12, 2000, 03:55 PM   #4
mjcitra

I forgot about the chokes. An improved cylindrical choke tube should work fine for deer slugs.
Old December 14, 2000, 08:26 AM   #5
ABowe

Thanks for the replies. BTW I found on the Remington web site under FAQ that the barrel will have a light rust-like coating that should disappear with cleaning. Also, I plan to pick-up the IC choke per your recommendations. Thanks again. BigAl
Old December 14, 2000, 11:50 PM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

Suggest a brass brush in lieu of steel wool. Hit w/BreakFree or TriFlo or any other modern rust preventative, then scrub lightly. When rust is removed, rub in some Rig Gun Grease as a preservative. Buff or make some passes w/hairdryer.