The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old May 13, 2000, 08:10 PM   #1
purpleviking

Is it possible to visually tell a difference between Mec-gar magazines and McCormick magazines? I just bought one from a dealer who stated that it was a McCormick magazine. The only physical distinguishing mark is a "s" stamped on the bottom.

Oh, by the way, just bought a Kimber Ultra Carry today, but couldn't bring it home today. The FBI promised tomorrow morning. What a coincidence, the million mom-march? .......... Thanks.
Old May 13, 2000, 08:29 PM   #2
Mikey

The McCormick will have a flat metal follower with an image of a shooting star embossed on it.

Mikey
Old May 13, 2000, 10:02 PM   #3
Phil

My Mec-Gar mags all say "Made in Italy" on them. They work really well BTW (8 rounders).
Old May 14, 2000, 12:58 AM   #4
purpleviking

Okay, Here's the funny thing. "Made in Italy" and a shooting star isn't anywhere on the magazine. Any ideas? All I see is a small s on the bottom.
Old May 14, 2000, 01:00 AM   #5
purpleviking

Oh, BTW. It says Patented and a # 4,446.645 on the magazine follower. I wish I knew who made these.
Old May 14, 2000, 01:21 AM   #6
Mal H
Staff

I'm not positive, but I believe they may be early McCormick magazines. Given the patent number, it was developed by the Devel Company and McCormick bought rights to the patent.

See: http://www.patents.ibm.com/details?&...&s_drwd=1#drwd

Click on the legal status actions button.
Old May 14, 2000, 01:22 AM   #7
Steve Smith

Not all McCormick mags have a "shooting Star" on the follower. All the ones that I have see will, however, havea funny looking follower. Instead of having a split at the tip of the follower (with the left side going down for slide stop enagement), it will have a cut-out notch on the top part, and then will have another leaf of steel (actuallt the same piece) underneath. The two can be squeezed and seperated (not advised). No offense, but McCormick tend not to be reliable for most folks. (too much forward-bakward movement). Will the follower "rock" back and forth? If so, it might be a McCormick.
Old May 14, 2000, 11:38 PM   #8
purpleviking

Thanks for everyone's help, but here's the new dilemma. I just picked up my Kimber today. The two 8-round magazines that I bought, look EXACTLY like the 7 round magazines. I then bought a McCormick 10 rounder. They all look the same. The notch is on all magazines, as well as the double "follower." The only difference is that the McCormick 10 round that I bought has the "shooting star." Man, I'm even more confused. Does this mean that possibly, Kimber ships new guns with McCormick magazines, or do Mec-Gar magazines look exactly like McCormick's? Thanks.
Old May 14, 2000, 11:48 PM   #9
Steve Smith

Mec-Gars dont' look like McCormicks (remember, McCormick makes some mags that say "shooting star" and some that don't, but the design is the same double leaf follower.) The mec-gars will have a much more stable follower, with meat (part of the follower) that goes down into the mag a little in front of the follower, too. Re-read my earlier post. Press down on the tip of the follower. Will the tip "dive" without pushing the rest of the follower down? If so, they're all McCormicks. McCormick makes 7, 8, and 10 rd. mags (most companies do). Yes, Kimber has used McCormick mags for a long time, as well as Mec-Gars. The McCormicks do not necessarily have to say "Shooting Star."

[This message has been edited by Frontsight! (edited May 15, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Frontsight! (edited May 15, 2000).]
Old May 14, 2000, 11:53 PM   #10
purpleviking

Thanks. Now, I've heard two different stories on the Mec-Gar vs. McCormick issue. Maybe this should be a new post, but who really does make the best 1911 magazine out there. I was always told McCormick was the best. Thanks a million for everyone's help. I love my new Kimber too.
Old May 15, 2000, 09:28 AM   #11
Steve Smith

Its not that you're getting two different stories, its that some guns are more tolerant to poor mag designs than others. From what I've seen for myself, and heard here, McCormick mags work reliably in only a few guns. Mec-Gars work better, but some don't. I personally have had great luck with Springfield Armory's National Match mags, the ORIGINAL Colt type (now they're using Shooting Star followers), and Wilson. If your Shooting Stars work well, consider yourself lucky, and if not, try to sell them at the next gun show. Maybe someone will love 'em and snatch them up.
Old May 15, 2000, 11:32 AM   #12
Matt VDW

The most reliable 1911-style magazines that I've found are the welded-base, convex follower Metalform 7-rounders.
Old May 15, 2000, 11:50 AM   #13
BobRowe

Kimber pistols are shipped with McCormick magazines.
Old May 15, 2000, 07:31 PM   #14
Steve Smith

RobRowe, not all Kimbers are shipped with Shooting Stars. Some have Mec-Gars.
Old May 15, 2000, 08:15 PM   #15
purpleviking

Oh well, I guess I'm just going to learn the hard way and shoot alot of rounds through each of the magazines. You know what really stinks, is that I bought this weapon as a reliable CCW. I don't know if I'm going to feel 100% safe carring a weapon with a possible defective magazine. I just might stick with my Glock 19. But I will shoot the Kimber and see what kind of results I get. We'll see........
Old May 15, 2000, 08:38 PM   #16
Ledbetter

Here's the real deal:

Wilson makes the best 1911 mags.

Shooting Star mags work real good, until they're cleaned and then improperly reassembled. I use them exclusively in my Commander. Colt sold 1911's with Shooting Star followers installed. Properly assembled, I've never had trouble with one. They are difficult to reassemble properly; they will either hold only 7 rounds, or wobble front to back, as Frontsight says. When you take them apart to clean them, save one out so you have an example of a properly assembled mag during reassembly. I think they have info on reassembly at their website, but not 100% sure.

Happy shooting.