The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 2, 2013, 11:36 PM   #1
n5lyc

Another new addition..

As some may have read in an earlier post I ran an ad on a Facebook trader page looking for old bp revolvers.

I have been out of the hobby for years, but a friend asked me to repair his 1860 army so he could give it to his son. (Broken hand spring)

In fitting the new part, I realized how much I missed these old guns.

So I dug out my old Remington, and finally broke down and bought a colt clone, I have always liked the look of the 1860, but never bought one..

After running the ad, I have been getting several replies from people wanting to sell them.

Ranging from trading some .22 ammo for one,
to a guy asking $375 for a severely abused brass frame .44 pietta 1851..(no I didn't buy it)

My latest was told to me to be a uberti 1851 in .36,
Upon looking at it I realized it was not a uberti, but something else.

A EIG copy of a Schneider & Glassick, date coded from 1965 with the GLB logo also..
While it looks like a 1851 navy, there are some differences..

I had read an article years ago about them.
http://rprca.tripod.com/schneider.htm

Strange thing about mine is it has a dovetailed front sight.
And a square notched sight in the hammer, and no notch in the hammer face behind the percussion cap like most Italian repos .

And the frame seems to be made from a different kind of "brass" than the trigger guard.
Just thought I would show off my new toy..

Oh, price?
I repaired a computer a while back, the owner paid me with a H&R pump shotgun ($168 retail at Walmart). I had no use for the extra shotgun so it found a new home. .

Later gents,

45 Bravo

Old June 3, 2013, 02:23 AM   #2
brazosdave

Very nice! I am one that actually loves the brassers. I just think they look a helluva lot better, lol!
Old June 3, 2013, 04:07 AM   #3
Hawg

If it has no notch in the hammer face then it has no safety pins on the back of the cylinder. Looks like its time for a new wedge as that one looks like it is bottomed out. The front sight is a replacement. Keep your powder charges light as the brass frame won't handle full loads.
Old June 3, 2013, 09:00 AM   #4
n5lyc

You are correct Hawg, no safety pins.

The wedge is as close to bottomed out as you can get, but there is absolutely no play between the barrel and the frame.
i have another wedge, but have not installed it yet.

In 36's i always used a .380 case filled with FFF for general use/plinking.(about 15 gr.)
I eventually trimmed my flask spout to throw that charge.

I never (well almost never) use more than that.

I have owned several BP revolvers before I got out of the hobby, but they have all been remington pattern, (Richland arms brass .44 kit, CVA, .36 (steel framed), a CVA brass framed .44 kit, Pietta 1858 target model (from Cabelas) and a Uberti 1858.)

I have worked on and shot many Colt pattern guns, but never got around to actually OWNING one until recently.

There is a Uberti 1862 .36 Pocket police on its way to me as we speak.

And a pietta 1860 5.5 inch .36 bought from a seller on here at a good price on its way too.

It's an addiction.....
Old June 3, 2013, 09:02 AM   #5
n5lyc

Oh, the previous owner bought this gun new, so that is the sight it came with.