The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 11, 2012, 05:54 PM   #1
iblong

Replaced my G27 with a XDS 45

Sold my G27 and bought the new XDS Sat,There was absoulutly nothing wrong with the 27 I liked it a lot.
Im just moving away from the 40 cal and it was the last to go,Im staying with 9 & 45 as I have more of each and it eliminates one cal to reload for.
Anyway I wanted something small for summer,Truthfully I did'nt need another pistol I just wanted one.I handled one Friday and bought one Sat,I really like it It actually is softer shooting than my Kimber UCII which was a suprise.
I only put 100 rnds of ball hand loads through it so far but it shot very well.
Got 14" of snow Sunday so I need to run a bunch of XTPS and Gold Dots this weekend to see how they do.This thing is the smallest 45 I have handled to date,verry close to the S&w Sheild in all dimentions.
The only down fall I see Is Capacity but I used to feel ok with my Snubbies
and I can shoot this better and do a mag change pretty quick.
Old December 12, 2012, 01:39 AM   #2
Nanuk

How much smaller is it than the 27?

Congrats on the new "tool".
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old December 12, 2012, 06:58 AM   #3
iblong

Not much,The grip is slightly longer and the length is about equal.
The difference in width is considerable.Im exploring my options for holsters
and for the time being Im using a RM low rider kydex I had for the 27, a couple of minuets with a hair drier and it fits pretty darn good.
I did Mic it the slide and frame are .90 and it measures just a hair under 1"at the slide realease.
I just wish there were more holsters availiable,Id really like a goodleatherIWB.
Wish I could get a MS summer special II fot it,Tried the one for my Kimber but no go.
Old December 12, 2012, 12:22 PM   #4
Hairbag

The XDS is super narrow!
Old December 12, 2012, 03:40 PM   #5
jason_iowa

As a life long Sig user I am pretty well sold on the XD. I think they are fantastic weapons.
Old December 12, 2012, 05:19 PM   #6
johnwilliamson062

Any reason you did not go for a Glock in 45ACP?

I am thinking about trading my 9mm conversion G27 for a 45 ACP Glock b/c I think the 45 ACP would be better out of a carbine.
Old December 12, 2012, 05:29 PM   #7
bitttorrrent

Quote:
As a life long Sig user I am pretty well sold on the XD

Do you mean you like the xd's better than your Sigs?

The xds sounds good, but considering a compact 9mm, so was just looking at all the different sigs.
Old December 12, 2012, 06:30 PM   #8
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Do you mean you like the xd's better than your Sigs?
Blasphemy.

Congrats on the XDs I've heard a lot about it. One of my buddies replaced his 1911 C3 with that for a few months, until guilt kicked in.

I'd like a compact .45

Just can't bring myself to any gun that isn't full sized.

The PPQ and G19 are my smallest.

Pics?
Old December 12, 2012, 06:44 PM   #9
thedudeabides

I looked at them.

Too narrow and short of a grip for me and the grip safety (on anything but a proper 1911) is just weird and doesn't engage like that of a 1911, either GI or beavertail.

Recoil is also on the upper limits of what I'd call acceptable.

Accuracy is fine, and I'd live with one if I had to, but I just prefer my P245... and if you're adamant about a striker gun, get a G30 or G36.
Old December 12, 2012, 07:18 PM   #10
BWT

XDS on duty

I originally purchased the XDS for off duty, but after qualifying on the off duty course, I decided to try the on duty course which goes out to 25 yards. With the 7 round mags I can carry on duty and have ever since. I can meet or beat my issue pistol scores with the XDS and for off duty I just change the mags.
It is a great little pistol.
Old December 12, 2012, 09:29 PM   #11
Rmart30

I really like my XDS. Mine has been trouble free with over 500 rds thru it. Very accurate for such a small firearm. I can run the steel plates at the pistol range with it almost as well as with my full sized pistols.
Old December 13, 2012, 12:27 AM   #12
Dashunde

How does the XDs recoil feel compared to the Glock 27?
Old December 13, 2012, 02:15 AM   #13
Water-Man

Tough to make a dependable .45acp that small.

I'd wait some time before buying one.
Old December 13, 2012, 07:07 AM   #14
iblong

The PPQ and G19 are my smallest.

I havePlenty of service size pistoles 19,17,34, P-01,Gov 1911 ect.

How does the XDs recoil feel compared to the Glock 27?

Less the 27 is more snappy.

Accuracy is fine, and I'd live with one if I had to, but I just prefer my P245... and if you're adamant about a striker gun, get a G30 or G36.

I like the 30 the 36 not so much,They are close to the 19 in size just fatter yet,I a deep carry option.

Tough to make a dependable .45acp that small.

Jury is still out and this is my first xd,I usually wait on new products also.
and if this was my only pistole I would have let other do the field testing.
Old December 13, 2012, 09:12 AM   #15
bikerbill

I'm a huge fan of my XDm-9 and have been seriously considering adding an XDs, except that so far I haven't been able to actually find one at local gun stores ... Have you tried to pocket carry? If I got it, it would replace my PM9 for EDC and in the summer, I most pocket carry ... and what have you been paying for the gun, if you don't mind talking about that ... thanks ...
Old December 13, 2012, 10:18 AM   #16
iblong

I paid 549.00 Cabelas wants 599.00
I personally dont often pocket carry,but was able to get it in my jeans front pocket and could see it working nearly as well as the PM9 I used to own one.
just a note I did not see much difference in recoil between the two either.
but recoil is subjective and Im not recoil shy.
Old December 13, 2012, 11:06 AM   #17
BWT

I've pocket carried with some 5.11 pants without any issues. Normally I pocket carry with my Ruger LCR (357). The XDS was just as comfortable + reloads are much faster. I had several people shoot the XDS when I qualified. Two of the guys carry a Glock 23 and one carries a 27. All three liked the recoil of the XDS over the Glocks. The only issue I've had is the department issues 40 cal ammo so I have to purchase the department specified ammo to continue to carry the XDS. I can't say the XDS recoils any less, but it is a different type of recoil. Not sure I can explain that, but follow up shots seem faster with the XDS.
Old December 13, 2012, 11:49 AM   #18
Tom68

What a timely thread. I bought a G27 two years ago and have never warmed up to the grip angle, and the width/bulk has discouraged me from carrying it as frequently as I should. In the past few months I have been considering something smaller and lighter, but haven't been in a hurry to reach a decision. Then the latest issue of Shooting Times ran a piece on the XDs, and that opened up another potential replacement... so naturally I came here to read what others have to say about it.

Most of what I have read has been positive... a few other threads regarding same have indicated some feeding issues, but the positive reports far outweigh the negative. I will be going overseas soon, so I'll likely wait until my return before making a purchase... which will provide more time to obtain more feedback.

One of the things I liked about the G27 was the 9+1 capacity.... XDs would be a net loss of -4 using the magazine without the extension, but like others said here, that's the same capacity as a revolver which many find quite adequate for SD, plus an extra mag is much less obtrusive than a speedloader. Also... I like the .40, but not married to it... but something to think about. The recoil of the G27 is exactly as stated earlier... snappy. Practicing hipshooting gets painful after about 5 shots!
Old December 14, 2012, 10:41 PM   #19
Ralph Allen

XDs capacity is 7, 6+1. Same as 1911. Recoil is very manageable, not explosive and hand killing as stated by some. Small enough to carry in a good ankle holster all day long. No problems with function or accuracy. Yes, I have one.
Ralph
Old December 15, 2012, 12:55 AM   #20
Water-Man

The BASIC capacity of the XDS is 5+1.

The BASIC capacity of a 1911 is 7+1.

Come on Ralph.