The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 7, 2012, 06:54 AM   #1
defjon

S&W 627 Pro?

Does anyone have any information about the 627 pro? I have the chance to buy one locally. Looks to be in excellent condition, for 875...but I don't know much about this pro shop model or what they go for...or ANYONE who has ever owned one!
Old March 7, 2012, 08:18 AM   #2
mrvco

I own one and it is a great revolver. They were a bit harder to come by when I bought mine last year. I believe I paid $900 NIB or so and it was worth every penny. Now I see several of them for as low as $759 on Gun Broker... Which I'd say is a great deal for this model.
Old March 7, 2012, 10:51 AM   #3
Technosavant

I've not heard a bad word about them. The Pro series splits the difference between the regular production and the Performance Center models. The Pro still has the MIM parts (the PC doesn't), but it does have some extra tweaking and is cut for moon clips. IMO, it looks like a great gun.

I'm not sure how $875 shakes out in terms of price- you might want to look around and make sure that's a good one, but it isn't far off the price of the thing when NIB.
Old March 7, 2012, 10:58 AM   #4
carguychris

Quote:
The Pro still has the MIM parts (the PC doesn't)...
I thought that the Pro Series had forged lockwork just like the PC guns...?

I was under the impression that the difference was the degree of hand fitment; the Pro guns supposedly go through the same production line as standard S&W revolvers, whereas the PC guns are hand-built one at a time by the PC shop.

And yes, IMHO the $875 asking price is high, it's close to what I've seen shops sell brand-new M627 Pro's for. That said, there may be considerable room to haggle.
Old March 7, 2012, 11:02 AM   #5
gak

I think I like it better than the PC, and thaat it isn't ported as is the PC. On my wish list.

EDIT: walklightly (below) pointed out my error about porting. My deep apologies, had .327 Fed Mag Smith 632 Comp (PC) vs 632 Pro on my brain.

Last edited by gak; March 7, 2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old March 7, 2012, 11:07 AM   #6
Walklightly

Quote:
And yes, IMHO the $875 asking price is high, it's close to what I've seen shops sell brand-new M627 Pro's for. That said, there may be considerable room to haggle.
Yes, high, but not unrealistically high. An awesome gun comes at an awesome price.

TBS, NIB OTD it's not to much to ask.

I own a 627 V-comp (PC retail $1700) got it for $1111.11, worth every penny.

Quote:
I think I like it better than the PC, and thaat it isn't ported as is the PC. On my wish list.
Ported, what model PC is ported?

Last edited by Walklightly; March 7, 2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old March 7, 2012, 11:25 AM   #7
gak

Walklightly said
" Ported, what model PC is ported? "

You are correct. My deep apologies, had .327 Fed Mag Smith 632 Comp (PC) vs 632 Pro on my brain.
Old March 7, 2012, 12:56 PM   #8
Walklightly

Quote:
You are correct. My deep apologies, had .327 Fed Mag Smith 632 Comp (PC) vs 632 Pro on my brain.
I know less than you, so who am I to speak?

Next drink is on me!
Old March 7, 2012, 02:13 PM   #9
mrvco

Originally I was looking at the 686 SSR, but I really wanted 8 rounds and moon clips... the 627 PC was a bit larger than what I wanted and the 627 Pro ended up being just right.

The SSR is still on my wish list though.
Old March 7, 2012, 08:20 PM   #10
Technosavant

Quote:
I thought that the Pro Series had forged lockwork just like the PC guns...?

I was under the impression that the difference was the degree of hand fitment; the Pro guns supposedly go through the same production line as standard S&W revolvers, whereas the PC guns are hand-built one at a time by the PC shop.
You might be right about the lockwork... I can't really remember, nor can I find, the info I'd seen when the Pro series was introduced. The Pro series don't have the ball detent lockup that the PC guns have, but I remember the features otherwise being pretty close.