The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 18, 2012, 06:44 PM   #1
Homerboy

Stronger: S&W K Frame .357 or Ruger Six Series .357

Is the Six series up to par with the Gp100? How about stronger than a K frame but not quite as strong as a Six series ruger?
Old February 18, 2012, 07:52 PM   #2
roaddog28

Hi,
The GP100 is a large medium frame revolver. The Security Six is a medium frame revolver. The main advantage is the lock system on the two. The Security Six has the same system found on the S&W model 19. The GP100 has a double lock system at both front and rear of the cylinder. Also the GP100 is beefier in the top strap and frame but not much. The Security has the traditional grip frame where the GP100 has a stub where the grips attach too.
For me I am a big Security Six fan. The Six series is the closest to the S&W K frame magnum only stronger. The GP100 is stronger but at the price of being bulkier. Most GP100s have full under lug barrels. This makes the revolver seem muzzle heavy. Similiar to the S&W 686 or Colt Python.
I have a Police Service Six. This revolver has seen many 357 magnums of all weights. The revolver is still tight and lockup is great. The forcing cone is in excellent condition. But I do keep it clean. I had a GP100 and like the revolver but still preferred my Service Six.
Hope this helps,
Howard
Old February 18, 2012, 07:52 PM   #3
laytonj1

Quote:
Is the Six series up to par with the Gp100?
No, the GP-100 is a larger and stronger frame design than the 6's.
That said, I much prefer the looks and feel of my Security Six.

Quote:
How about stronger than a K frame but not quite as strong as a Six series ruger?
What?

Jim
Old February 19, 2012, 01:22 AM   #4
bamaranger

FLETC

I was lucky enough to pull a couple of TDY assignmwnts at the Fed Law Enf Tr. Ctr in the mid-late 80's when the revolver was still the LE staple. Supposedly, the US Border Patrol shot the Ruger 6's, side by side w/ Smith K's until failure,........... no details, just lunch table talk.

The Rugers were the hands down winners according to those that were supposed to have been there.
Old February 19, 2012, 01:25 AM   #5
bamaranger

GP

The GP is a stronger revolver than the 6's ,as others have said. I'm inclined to compare it to an L frame, but have no real experience with GP's.
Old February 19, 2012, 04:49 PM   #6
roaddog28

Quote:
The GP is a stronger revolver than the 6's ,as others have said. I'm inclined to compare it to an L frame, but have no real experience with GP's.
I have experience with the Six Series, GP100 and S&W 686 L frame. I have owned all of them and still own a Police Service Six 4 inch and a 686-2 4 inch.
The GP100 is stronger than the Six series. The lockup system is better than the Six series because the GP100 is design to lock at the front and rear of the cylinder. Also the top strap is thicker and of course the frame is bigger. But there is not much diffenence. The Six series has the traditional grip frame. The GP100 has a stub at the end of the frame where the grips are installed. Some people like it and some don't.
I feel the GP100 is stronger than the Six but not much.
The L frame is the direct competition to the GP100. These two have been compared many times on forums. Being that I own both of them to me there is not much difference in strengh. The GP100 has the better lockup system and heavier trigger group but is still not as refined as a 686. The 686 has the better double action trigger. Both will shoot large amounts of factory 357 magnums with no known problems. I have never had any problems with either. But I have not had any problems with my Ruger Service Six. Its older than the GP100 or 686 and has seen a lot more 357 magnums without any problems.
Summary: My favorite out of the three is my Service Six. The Service Six is the closest to the S&W K frame only stronger. The GP100 and the 686 are fine revolvers but they are muzzle heavy do to the full underlug barrel. I prefer the Service Six or the K frame magnum.
Regards,
Howard
Old February 19, 2012, 05:30 PM   #7
jad0110

^^^ That's a good summary. The 686 and GP are nice guns, but I just prefer the feel of the Sixes and K Frames (as well as the thin barreled N Frames, may as well through them in their too).

Quote:
No, the GP-100 is a larger and stronger frame design than the 6's.
That said, I much prefer the looks and feel of my Security Six.
I imagine the GP (and 686) may be a bit stonger than the Ruger Six, but it isn't enough to really be concerned with. And if one is inclined to shoot a massive quantity of atomic powered .357 Mag loads through their revolver, I'd suggest stepping up to a medium powered .44 Mag load in a quality .44 Mag revolver (or .41 Mag if you want to be different).
Old February 19, 2012, 05:56 PM   #8
Lost Sheep

Some other differences

The GP (also SP. Redhawk and Super Redhawk) have their ejector rods offset from the centerline of the cylinder. This allows more metal between the barrel threads and the frame's cutout for the ejector rod. Not that this was ever a problem for the Sixes, but apparently somebody worried about it.

The Sixes went through some minor changes in the grip area (which makes a difference to how the gun feels to some shooters. Some guns had a slight "hump" in the upper backstrap. Bothered some shooters, appreciated by others.

There was also some differences in the shape of the rear of the right-side recoil shield. Made not a bit of difference to the gun's operation or feel, though.

Lost Sheep
Old February 19, 2012, 11:30 PM   #9
bamaranger

There's another 6 v. 686 thread running.

I always disliked the l/686 due to their size and bulk. I suppose I'd think the same of a GP. Spoiled by K mags and a Ruger 6 early on.

I should have NEVER sold the 6, but I did.
Old February 20, 2012, 12:07 AM   #10
laytonj1

Quote:
I imagine the GP (and 686) may be a bit stonger than the Ruger Six, but it isn't enough to really be concerned with
The 686 and I assume GP100's were designed for the purpose of shooting large quantities of 357. Where as the K's and 6's were more for carry type guns.

Jim
Old February 20, 2012, 05:56 AM   #11
boa2

Ruger designed the Sixes from the ground up to fire the .357 rounds continuously! The S&W K-frames were beefed up enough to fire .357 rounds for business but to fire .38 Special rounds for practice. The Sixes were considerably stronger than the S&W K-frames!
Old February 20, 2012, 05:50 PM   #12
KY Jim

One thing that you might want to consider is that the Rugers are cast framed while the Smith's are forged. Smith's to me are better balanced when in hand and therefore help with shot placement when there is time for that and since the Smith is better balenced it also helps with quicker shots to the target. Yes, I am partial to Smith and I prefer their handguns but, I consider Rugers to be very well made revolvers as well and I have owned several and shot more. I don't think you would go wrong with either one. As far as the Smiths go stick with the L Frame(i.e. 686, 586 etc) and bigger. If you can find a good slightly used old Mod 28 Hwy Patrolman that would be my choice.
Old February 21, 2012, 04:10 PM   #13
boa2

Ruger cast frames have proven to be no less strong than forged steel frames and generally are superior in strength. So, this is rather a moot point in view of Ruger's reputation for building brute strength into their revolvers. As far as balance, a Security/Service/Speed-Six balances every bit at well as a Smith-Wesson K-Frame. I would agree that an L-frame(686/586 etc.) seems to feel better balanced than a GP100. The full grip frame on the L-frame helps to offset the muzzle heavy feel of the full lug barrel. My preference would also be a nice model 28 over an L-frame(586/686 etc.).
Old February 21, 2012, 07:25 PM   #14
GP100man

my $.02 worth

If I was gonna carry more than shoot I`d use the Six Series & K frames.

If I was gonna shoot more than carry I`d use the L frames or GP100.

I hunt with a Redhawk scoped/rifle/shotgun with a GP100 for back up or close shots.
Old February 23, 2012, 02:35 PM   #15
Clifford L. Hughes

Homerboy:

The GP100 is the strongest of the three revolvers that you mention. Is the Ruger six series stronger then the Smith K frame I'm not sure. It would take several life times to wear out either one. I like the feel of the K frame even thoug I don't own one. I shot my friends many many times. So make your choice on wich one that you are comfortable with. One advantage, out of the box, the Smith will have a better trigget and with an action job the Smith's action and trigger will shame a Colt Python.

Semper Fi.

Gunnery sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC Retired
Old February 23, 2012, 02:47 PM   #16
BigJimP

I'm with Clifford on this ........all of them are strong guns.

...and I own a lot of K frames...model 19's and 66's - that I shoot a steady diet of .357 mag thru in a 158gr bullet ...and many of them, have 10,000 rounds or more thru them...with no signs of any parts close to wearing out...

Heavier doesn't mean stronger...and how strong do you want it to be ...a life of 50,000 rounds...100,000 ...or 250,000 rounds...a lot of guys with K frames shoot at least 3,000 rds a year thru some of them ( that's only 60 boxes a year or 5 boxes a month )...and over 30 yrs that's 90,000 rds ...

and none of the guns you mention will every wear out, in my opinion, with that kind of usage...especially a good K frame S&W..if you take care of it.
Old February 24, 2012, 11:02 AM   #17
rodfac

I've owned K, S, and N framed Smiths since the late 60's and have never had a problem with any of them...thousands of rounds through a K framed M-19 have failed to loosen it a bit...a '73 gun BTW...and it'll still do sub-2" gps at 25 yds...same with its bigger cousins.

Rugers, all of them, have always had a reputation for sheer strength...my experience has been limited to the single actions....and can attest to their accuracy.... it sometimes has to be seen to be believed.

As to trigger pulls, either double or single action, Smith has always had the reputation that all others compare to..."it's as good as a S&W"...that said, if you do get a Ruger with less than a sterling pull, it can be worked on easier than a case hardened Smith's trigger.

Guess you takes your choice and pays your money...Me? I'd go with a Smith, just 'cause I like their overall look better than the Ruger which seems a bit clunky to me. As to Smith's hated internal lock...I've got two which have not had a problem with several thousand rounds through them...for me, it's a non-issue.

One last thought..if you plan to carry concealed, you might consider one of the J-frame Smiths...good design, thin cylinder of 5 rounds capacity, and they all sport Smith's 2nd to none customer service policy....and I've had experience to back up that last statement...the pic below is of a 5" bbl'd J-frame M-60...a really good trail gun...light but still carries a wallop...

Best Regards, JMHO, Rod

M-60 with a 5 inch barrel...good trail gun...
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old March 7, 2012, 10:36 AM   #18
lincoln5

When the late Bill Ruger Sr. "unveiled" the "Six Series" revolvers, (the company's first double-action revolver), in an attempt to break the monopoly on police sales held by S&W and Colt in the '70's, he went "all out" on the design and was quite successful. Then, in interviews in the '80's, Ruger Sr. consistently complained that he didn't think that the company "made a dime" off the six series due to it's expensive production cost. Hence, the end of the "Six" series and the start of production for the more profitable GP and SP series of revolvers. Draw your own conclusions but I can tell you this from experience, many agencies that approved the "Six" series for duty carry dropped Ruger from the "approved list" during the transition period to semi-autos. The "powers that be" in many departments and agencies apparently didn't share the shooting public's opinions or confidence regarding the extensive use of cast metal.

Last edited by lincoln5; March 7, 2012 at 02:52 PM.
Old March 7, 2012, 04:43 PM   #19
boa2

Fast forward to 2012................since over 1.5 million six series revolvers had been produced, they have proven to be strong revolvers-stronger than equivalent forged steel K-frame size revolvers-so, it's a moot point now regarding their being made from cast steel. The GP100 and SP101 revolvers are very successful today and are even stronger than the six series(But, not by much)and are also made the same way, out of cast steel. Therefore the powers to be were evidently wrong to have not trusted the six series revolvers due to being made from cast steel parts.
Old March 7, 2012, 05:08 PM   #20
lincoln5

I am not making a judgement here, only a brief trip down memory lane. To this day as a career LEO, I have never worked for an agency that had any Ruger weapons on the approval list for on or off duty use but I am aware of some departments back east that allow them. I believe the agency I currently work for has only one American firearms company on the approval list (the rest are all European products), unless you have "permission" to carry a 1911-A1 on duty (then the list grows to 3 USA companies). My personal opinion is that the "Six" series revolvers are some of the best double action revolvers ever produced by anyone and of much higher quality than the GP/SP series.

Last edited by lincoln5; March 7, 2012 at 09:29 PM.
Old March 7, 2012, 07:25 PM   #21
Buckeye!

And they're purdy too !!!!!
Old March 7, 2012, 11:11 PM   #22
Cold Steel

There are a few things to consider regarding the "Six" series.

First, they were more expensive to make than the GP-100s. Second, they were plenty strong to begin with. Gun writer and former Border Patrolman Skeeter Skelton said he knew of three Ruger Security-Sixes, each of which had in excess of 30,000 rounds of hot magnum rounds put through them. On the other hand, people with S&W 19s were experiencing noticeable frame warping after 2,000-3,000 magnum rounds. NRA writer C.E. Harris said he ruined a Model 19 after shooting 2,000 rounds of magnum ammo! The gun still shot and even was retimed, but after another thousand rounds or so, it became unusable.

Three, Ruger convinced a generation of shooters that one spring doing the work of two springs was an improvement. But is it? I've experienced dry firing many Security- and Speed-Sixes, and after a few hundred snaps the action improves dramatically. And spring changes make these guns even better. I don't think the GP- models have better actions, are more accurate and last longer than the "Six" series. In fact, the balance is far worse than the Security-Six or the S&W 686! After looking at one at my local gun store, I wouldn't have one. I'd opt for a used Security-Six or a new/used 686. Ruger overbuilt an already overbuilt gun, and for what purpose? Anyway, opinions will vary. Them's my views.

S&W 686 and Ruger's Security-Six. The 686 is far too heavy to lug
around in the field. Unfortunately, S&W chose to stop production of its
excellent Model 66.

Old March 7, 2012, 11:14 PM   #23
Nanuk

I love the speed sixes... I have always wanted a 3" speed six. One of my brothers has a security six he bought in the 70's awesome gun.

I prefer Smith's, but I would take a speed six in a New York second.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old March 7, 2012, 11:22 PM   #24
Cold Steel

Yep, the 3-inch Speed-Six was had to get ahold of. I bought a 3-inch .38 Special and had a gunsmith ream out the chambers so it could fire .357. Because he was a stickler for detail, he did precise work. As a result, this gun was more accurate than most of my other Rugers.

Old March 8, 2012, 12:03 AM   #25
skidder

Cold Steel-- Nice Speed Six!
I was going to do the same thing to my Service Six 38, but couldn't find anybody around here that would do it.

I decided, since I reload, to load my 38's up to 357 and mark them Ruger only (I have another 38 that would probably blow up if they got mixed ).

Gun permit?? A bread crumb tossed to a sleeping society awoken by the sound of complacency. "They are for your own good", and "you will understand when you see all the lives they save". Yes master, what else will you toss me from your bag of infringements?? Do you want me to roll over and play dead? I do that very well. --skidder