The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 18, 2009, 09:48 PM   #1
rburch

What do you do with a coyote?

I'm interested in taking up coyote hunting, but I have one question.

What do you do with them after you've killed them?

In the past all my hunting has been for food, but I'm not really interested in finding out what coyote tastes like.

I'm also have limited funds, so I'd only be interested in mounting 1 or 2 nice ones.

What else do you do with a dead coyote? Just leave it in the woods, or bury it?
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Old May 18, 2009, 10:07 PM   #2
TUNNUG

My cousin used to skin them and put the skins in an old freezer he had, when he had a fair amount he would sell them to a fur company, no idea who it was.
Old May 18, 2009, 10:08 PM   #3
zoomie

Just leave it in a brush pile, where it's not an eye sore. Nature will take care of it in a matter of days.
Old May 18, 2009, 10:09 PM   #4
uncledewey

Skin 'em. They have some of the nicest pelts. They used to be kinda mangie, but since they seem to feed pretty well, they have really nice thick coats. Check and see if there's a bounty on them where you live. Some places are giving $50 a coyote, unskinned. They are smart critters though. The smell like a deer and see like a turkey. If you really get serious you'll probably want to invest in a good remote call, and a mechanical rabbit (jack-in-the-box). You need something to keep their attention away from you. Good hunting!
Old May 18, 2009, 10:55 PM   #5
roy reali

Wow!

Quote:
The smell like a deer and see like a turkey
You must be one heck of a stalker. Were you not afraid to be kicked in the head?
Old May 18, 2009, 11:13 PM   #6
A_Gamehog

Sell them make some money$$$ pay for your ammo and new rifle

I started trapping in 1967, we got 5 dollars at any county courthouse for the right ear. Then Gov. Jerry Brown decided that was cruel and Inhumane to put a "Bounty" on an animal. Screw them I decided to trap and sell pelts and made a fair living doing that between Nov-Feb. the Fir is prime and you get top dollar. Pelts ranged from 5$ for a summer dog to 80$ for prime winter pelts with no holes. Linx in prime condition were 300-500$ each! 30 years ago the Big fur buyers were H.E. Goldberg from Alaska, and Gary Shroeder from Moscow Idaho (Moscow hide and fur). They bought 80% of the furs in Oregon and California washington, and the West coast. Selling animals for profit has some drawbacks, skinning and taking care of the firs before they turn ripe. Skinning without cutting the hide or marking it worthless, stretching it for sale and skin side out for 3 days then turning the hide without tearing it we made our own fur stretchers out of 1X3's or 1X4's tapered.. Some states have a season on trapping and killing Coyotes still. Most let you shoot them anytime as unwanted predators.
Should you shoot a Coyote and want to sell it things come into play:

1). Time of year (dense fur or not)Summer or winter snow?

2). The weapon you use, I called many with a friend who shot a 22 mag. I like a 30-06 and solid bullets, I know the arc and most shots were within 100 yards anyways. Fishing line stiches on a green hide is undetectable when dry if done right with a blow drier afterwards,don't let the blood dry on the hair side, and don't tell the big fur buyers I said so!

3). Ethics, do you shoot from a Paved road and make a sure kill? and do you stop at nothing to make money? dark? Bait piles? do it legal and right.

to me the hand held calls are the best, but listen to a good caller one time and you will quickly learn tehnique and timing are everything. Primos has calling videos with Randy Anderson and they really are how I see the world of calling also. He has everything a man needs to be good at killing coyotes. Practice is the fun part, what you wear is irrevelant in my mind, it's your movement, don't move your body. Another question what do you do if you call in a Bobcat? Fox? Lion? Going out and "Hunting" coyotes is really hard to imagine, you will encounter or stumble into a few but after the dumb ones what next? Calling is very rewarding in outsmarting a coyote to me is great fun with a friend shooting, two are even better.
Are you really thinking of eating one? they scrounge road kill like a Bear, eat neither is my advice.

http://www.callingcoyotes.com/

Hope you have fun and pay some bills doing it. Skinning a day old dog is not worth it to me anymore, I put them on a fence line for all to see if the pack is a short distance.

Last edited by A_Gamehog; May 18, 2009 at 11:24 PM.
Old May 18, 2009, 11:21 PM   #7
stevelyn

Quote:
What else do you do with a dead coyote?
If they're prime pelts, flesh'em, stretch'em, dry'em and sell them for $$$ or you can get them tanned and throw them over the back of the couch, or turn them into hats, mittens, or parky hood ruffs.

Alaska manages coyotes as furbearers with seasons open on them during the winter months for hunting and trapping, unlike most L 48 states that classify them as varmints with open seasons year round.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old May 18, 2009, 11:26 PM   #8
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

At most, skin it and tack 'em to my shed... at minimum... leave 'em lay.
Brent
Old May 19, 2009, 06:14 AM   #9
VaFisher

As long as it's a cold weather pelt any taxdermy shop would take them of your hands free of charge.
Old May 19, 2009, 06:36 AM   #10
freakshow10mm

I shoot coyotes to kill them. If they have a good pelt, I'll skin and sell. Other than that I just kill for the sake of killing them. Call it a preemtive strike. The more I kill the more deer live.
Old May 19, 2009, 09:32 AM   #11
rburch

Thanks for all the info guys.

There isn't a bounty in my county, I checked on that.

My main interest in coyote hunting is just being able to hunt year round. It's a bonus to me that it'll help the deer population.

As far as fur goes, that might be something to consider in fall & winter.

I think most of the time it'll be take a few pictures, and leave the body for the buzzards to eat.

A part of me sees that as wasteful, but when I think about it, coyotes ain't supposed to be here in virginia anyway.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Old May 19, 2009, 09:37 AM   #12
taylorce1

Most of the ones I shoot I leave laying where they die. In the winter when the coats are good then I'll take them whole to a guy who will give me $10-15 a yote. This time of year there coats are terrible so I wouldn't pick one up.
Old May 19, 2009, 10:22 AM   #13
Huntzalittle

This time of year; Bury'em about 2 ft deep and plant a nice conservation tree over top of them. (apple is nice)
Old May 19, 2009, 02:45 PM   #14
Scorch

You can skin them and stretch the pelts, then sell the pelts to a fur buyer. For a few pelts a year, it's a lot of trouble. Or, you can call a few taxidermists and ask if they want to buy wet pelts of the coyotes "in the round" i.e. whole body (taxidermists are much better than you or I at skinning them).

Or, get a smoker and try different ways of cooking 'em. Yum!!!
Old May 19, 2009, 02:56 PM   #15
grymster2007

Quote:
Even hogdogs won't eat them things!
Old May 19, 2009, 03:04 PM   #16
WAPITI_ASSASSIN

Personally i would just leave it out there in the right spot.
Then just wait and see if you couldn't get another yote after it
Old May 19, 2009, 04:04 PM   #17
rburch

A friend of mine who traps gave me a bit of advise. He said in summer just cut the tails off and take them to him. He uses them to make fishing lures.

So in the summer I'll take the tails, and hope they add a bounty over here. If I get some with a nice coat in the winter, I'll give them to him to take care of.
Old May 19, 2009, 04:34 PM   #18
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
Even hogdogs won't eat them things!
That is a dern good guess! Not only won't I eat the nasty things, I wouldn't feed them to my dogs or anyone else's for that matter... BUZZARD CHOW 100%....:barf:
Brent
Old May 19, 2009, 04:36 PM   #19
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I would rather eat a cat at the chinese buffet than gut a 'yote.
Brent
Old May 19, 2009, 07:44 PM   #20
kyle1974

you mean you're supposed to do something to them after you shoot one?
Old May 19, 2009, 11:07 PM   #21
Crankylove

Nothing............As Clint Eastwood says in The Outlaw Josie Wales, "buzzards gotta eat, same as worms."
Old May 20, 2009, 12:24 AM   #22
B. Lahey

My very strange uncle has a coyote jacket. The pelts must be good for something.
Old May 20, 2009, 04:25 AM   #23
6x6pinz

We used to hunt them for the pelts but there is no real market for them anymore.
AZ game and fish says shoot as many as possible and leave them out of sight. They are becoming a pest around here.
Old May 20, 2009, 01:22 PM   #24
Inspector3711

Quote:
Only Scorch... Hahahaha

Me? I'll try anything once, just tell me what it is first. I don't like surprises and got mad when a restaurant by work I used to eat at got closed down for having household pets in cages in the kitchen. They did sell extremely large chicken legs....

I'd most likely let a yote feed someone else in the food chain.
Old May 20, 2009, 10:10 PM   #25
cornbush

The farmers and ranchers in S.E. Idaho hang em on a fence post and shoot more when they come to investigate. I only shoot leaverfinders, I leave em where I find em. Usually they have enough fleas and ticks to carry you off. The price of the pelts isn't worth messing around with an old mangy dog. They can also double as a good ballistic testing opportunity, helps turn them into fertilizer faster.